Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Visualization - Visualization, help

Guest Morgan

Okay so I have problems with Visualization. What is some of the things you can try to help with a visualization problem? Is it something you can fix or work on? Is there an alternitive? How many other people have problems with visualization and did you over come it or did you find away around it.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

You can work on it through practising with small things, for example thinking of a twig and imagining it slowly budding and then coming into leaf. Or anything you find easy.

However, if you really find it difficult, why ditch visualisation as a tool and use something else? :lol:

Maybe it's the kind of things you're trying to visualise? Not everyone finds it easy to visualise an object. Try situations or stories, sounds harder but sometimes just having that context can help a lot :lol:.

Do you daydream? Imagining yourself in situations, doing things, going places, meeting people ... Have you ever taken part in a pathworking with others - someone telling the story of the journey? All these things help the imagination which is just another way of saying visualisation and the more you practice, the more active your mind becomes :huh:

As Eagledance says, reading fiction is a great help because you probably picture what you are reading as you go along - visualisation.

Morgan, can I just ask if it is visualising a thing in the first place, or holding onto and developing a vision which is the problem?

I have used visualisation a lot when I carried out counselling work and I believe that so long as the basic ability is there it can be worked on an developed.

Mike

The time of day, what you have/have not eaten, your mood and lots of other things can affect your ability to visualize effectively. Have you tried just a few minutes of meditating on the breath first, just to calm you down and bring your mind down to a workable speed. Another thing that can help is the "body scan" where you start at the feet and work up the body, tensing and then fully relaxing each major muscle in turn until you reach the top of the head. Sometimes it can just be a disinterest in the subject of the visualization in which case I would suggest a book like Nick Farrell's 'Magical Pathworking' as a starting point for building an inner world.

If you feel able to give us an idea of what you are trying to do, your expectations and the problems you are having then we might be able to suggest something more concrete. In any case, perseverance is the key.

I second what Badger Bob said regarding the relaxation of the entire body. The method he describes can be incredibly effective at relaxing the body, and is good practice for visualisation as you have to concentrate on each part of the body in turn. It is much easier to control your mind if your body is calm and relaxed.

You can also get hold of guided fantasies on cds which are another good way of altering your state of mind and practicing visualisation. They are also good practice if you ever want to develop the practice of divination.

Mike

Okay so I have problems with Visualization. What is some of the things you can try to help with a visualization problem? Is it something you can fix or work on? Is there an alternitive? How many other people have problems with visualization and did you over come it or did you find away around it.

358511[/snapback]

I used to have huge problems meditating because my mind was always whirring. But honestly, practise really does make perfect.

If I was you, I would lie down somewhere dark and quiet to begin with and start with relaxation. Concentrate on relaxing each part of your body until you feel heavy and just lay there for a while. Dont worry about visualisation until you achieve complete relaxation.

Then I reckon you should get a self hypnosis type CD which uses counting in its program. They can really help achieve a place of peace.

After that its pretty easy to just "float away" into your own world. The only difficulty will be sifting the 'reality' from imagination and honestly I dont think we ever really know the truth of that. Not 100% anyway :rolleyes:

I second what Badger Bob said regarding the relaxation of the entire body.  The method he describes can be incredibly effective at relaxing the body, and is good practice for visualisation as you have to concentrate on each part of the body in turn.  It is much easier to control your mind if your body is calm and relaxed. 

You can also get hold of guided fantasies on cds which are another good way of altering your state of mind and practicing visualisation.  They are also good practice if you ever want to develop the practice of divination.

Mike

358601[/snapback]

remind me to read the rest of the thread before I open my cyber gob :rolleyes:

I second what Badger Bob said regarding the relaxation of the entire body.  The method he describes can be incredibly effective at relaxing the body, and is good practice for visualisation as you have to concentrate on each part of the body in turn.  It is much easier to control your mind if your body is calm and relaxed. 

You can also get hold of guided fantasies on cds which are another good way of altering your state of mind and practicing visualisation.  They are also good practice if you ever want to develop the practice of divination.

Mike

358601[/snapback]

remind me to read the rest of the thread before I open my cyber gob :rolleyes:

358609[/snapback]

Read the rest of the thread before you open your cyber gob Comf!

Thanks everyone, I think I will end up trying everything at one time to see if it works.

As for the Visualization, when I read I have all the other senses but seeing a picture seems to be the problem, for instince if they are talking about an ocean and the wind comeing off of it how the breeze carries the water and the smell, I can get all that, the feel of the wind the sound of the waves the smell but I can't seem to get a picture of what the water looks like or where am standing. I have tried some guided things and come up with the same problem. I find that my problem interfearce with meditation, and I suck at meditaion and was told to work on my visualization to get better at it, lol however they didn't give me any help on how to help my visualization problem. So everything you all have said is very helpful its greatly appricated thanks again every one. :rolleyes:

A good thing to remember about visualisation is that it doesn't have to be visual :rolleyes:

As Comf said, it really does get better with practice. So while you're not seeing much in the way of detail now, as you practice, you'll find those bits slowly being added in bit by bit.

Visualisation is very important to me - I visualise everything that I need, alter candles, paraphernalia and regalia.

Like you I found it difficult - but I did it one step at a time. Take the temple that is inside my head.

I started by making the foundations - it was to be immune from any disaster.

It was days later when I got the door right and walked through it. That was exciting because there were things inside there that I hadn't consciously thought of.

Hang on - I only made the door - not the front! It was just a door to start with.

Very very slowly I got used to using the visualisation, the tools and furniture that were in there, building things around the tiny area that I had started with - Now its bigger than a county and all in my head.

Baby steps.

A friend of mine built a temple a similar way but it burned down!!!!!!! Visualisation can tell you such a lot about yourself as well as all the other uses.

Good luck and enjoy the surprises.

It's good to remember that all of us think in different ways, some people have a very visual brian whilst others think more in sounds, words, touch, etc... We live in a very visual culture, which is why we talk of "visualisations" and "visions", when as i said before, these don't actually have to be visual things at all. You can instead visualise with all your senses, and this can create something much stronger and more real rather than thinking that you ahve to see pictures.

From what you've said it sounds like you're on the right track, so I'd just practice what you're doing and not worry whether you can see stuff too :D