Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ms_Book

A Few Pointers

Guest Ms_Book

Hi, Im new, you might be able to gather that :D

Ive been checking out a lot of links on here already but there seems to be SO much choice involved.

I know one thing, Im not interested in casting spells, magic or dressing up.

Are there any particular paths that will rule out? Save me researching them and realising it all involves spells and magic when I could be researching something I would enjoy instead?

Im unsure really what Im asking, Im completely new to this all and dont know where I belong.

Thanks

:)

Ad from Google

Pomona

What? You mean you don't want to go overboard on the crushed velvet and whacking great silver jewellery? :o But... that's the lifeblood of Paganism!!

:D

If you're not into magic/spells, then I don't imagine that Ceremonial Magick is really what you'd be interested in.

But the big question is - what ARE you interested in? :)

Most pagan paths are undefined and contain what the individual is most interested in and adept at. You could try reading Pete Jennings "Pagan Paths" for a good intro of various paths, but believe me when I say it's not like picking a university curriculum. It's not even like one of those Cosmo quizzes where you get asked multiple choice questions and at the end it tells you what path you should be on (though there are those out there if you want to Google).

You'll find yourself interested in some bits and not in others and most people pick and choose the elements that suit them best.

Rather than try to pick a path, I'd suggest just gently feeling your way around your particular interests - I've used the analogy of a rabbit hole before and it's one I still think appropriate - your interest in one particular thing will lead you onto another, and another, and another, and before you know it, you're well onto your path but weren't consciously looking ;)

Fortuna

Keep reading. Not all paths involve rituals and spells. And not all paths are ones followed by others. I for one do not believe in gods, do magic, perform rituals etc and there are many many pagans who are the same. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if it doesn't float your boat why do it. Any path has to feel right and it is no good trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. You will find in Paganism that there is not much pressure to conform to a set of beliefs or ways of doing things as the term Paganism, is a very broad one covering a huge range of beliefs and practices.

This might not make you much clearer about Paganism, but bear it in mind when you are reading.

Mike

Guest Ms_Book
What?  You mean you don't want to go overboard on the crushed velvet and whacking great silver jewellery?  :o    But...  that's the lifeblood of Paganism!!

:D

If you're not into magic/spells, then I don't imagine that Ceremonial Magick is really what you'd be interested in.

But the big question is - what ARE you interested in?  :)   

Most pagan paths are undefined and contain what the individual is most interested in and adept at.  You could try reading Pete Jennings "Pagan Paths" for a good intro of various paths, but believe me when I say it's not like picking a university curriculum.  It's not even like one of those Cosmo quizzes where you get asked multiple choice questions and at the end it tells you what path you should be on (though there are those out there if you want to Google).

You'll find yourself interested in some bits and not in others and most people pick and choose the elements that suit them best.

Rather than try to pick a path, I'd suggest just gently feeling your way around your particular interests - I've used the analogy of a rabbit hole before and it's one I still think appropriate - your interest in one particular thing will lead you onto another, and another, and another, and before you know it, you're well onto your path but weren't consciously looking  ;)

365784[/snapback]

Funny thing that, I actually brought that book on Sunday and am on Sacred Sites.

Im into nature, and herbal healing, and weather, and fairys (mostly a collection of figurines that felt right so far)

And not into crushed velvet.. though I did once have this one dress.... hmmmmmmm :D long time ago. And I wouldn't do Tarot, yet anyway, was reading another link about that, it doesnt feel right to me at the moment.

When I was little I would spend time in the garden just watching the weather or plants and it was like time slowed right down and you could see a whole other world.

Im very much getting to the belief in mother nature, mother earth.. the femminine, though Im sure theres masculine too but after being drowned almost in the masculine christan faith Im feeling much more feminine orientated.

Pomona

That's quite a common thing, the embracing of the feminine and the rejection of the masculine in terms of deity. Some people move towards a balance again between male and female, others find the feminine is what fulfills them and others find themselves drawn more to the masculine again but sometimes in a different way. Only one of my deities is male, the other three are female. All I would say is "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" - I've known some people to shut their ears entirely when a male deity or energy is trying to make contact, out of fear they're somehow being "dragged" back into Christianity again. I'd very much recommend being open, and receptive, and just doing what you say you've been doing - paying attention :D

If the herbalism and nature thing interests you, then go with it - look into the folklore of herbs, how they are used for healing and so on. Read the stories of the fae (the real ones, not the Victoriana/Edwardiana tweeness that seems to abound :) ) and see what takes your interest from there :o

Guest Ms_Book
That's quite a common thing, the embracing of the feminine and the rejection of the masculine in terms of deity.  Some people move towards a balance again between male and female, others find the feminine is what fulfills them and others find themselves drawn more to the masculine again but sometimes in a different way.  Only one of my deities is male, the other three are female.  All I would say is "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" - I've known some people to shut their ears entirely when a male deity or energy is trying to make contact, out of fear they're somehow being "dragged" back into Christianity again.  I'd very much recommend being open, and receptive, and just doing what you say you've been doing - paying attention  :D

If the herbalism and nature thing interests you, then go with it - look into the folklore of herbs, how they are used for healing and so on.  Read the stories of the fae (the real ones, not the Victoriana/Edwardiana tweeness that seems to abound  :)  ) and see what takes your interest from there  :o

365789[/snapback]

Can you recommend any good books on the fae? Ive read several story books about them but Im not sure they count much.

Pomona

Um - the first one that springs to mind is Katharine Brigs' Encyclopedia, but I'll have a think. If you nip over to the Bookworms forum, there might be some suggestions there :)

Dreigiau
Can you recommend any good books on the fae? Ive read several story books about them but Im not sure they count much.

365793[/snapback]

Here are some books that were recommended to me:

(These three I have read and I have in my collection)

The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries- W.Y. Evans-Wentz

Fairies: Real Encounters with Little People - Janet Bord

Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings- John Michael Greer

These I haven't read yet but they come highly recommended:

An Encyclopedia of Fairies-Katherine M. Briggs

The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies - Rev Robert Kirk

The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Little People- Thomas Keightley

Hope that helps! Janet Bord's book also has an appendix that lists a bunch of fairy sites in Britain and has some neat photos (although some I am pretty sure are fake) I like the Monster book because it is essentially an investigators handbook and it has some magickal defense techniques in the back. I know you said you weren't really into magick but there are some natural magick techniques and well, better safe than sorry. The Fay aren't always "nice" :)

Edited by Dreigiau

Guest Ms_Book

365793[/snapback]

Here are some books that were recommended to me:

(These three I have read and I have in my collection)

The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries- W.Y. Evans-Wentz

Fairies: Real Encounters with Little People - Janet Bord

Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings- John Michael Greer

These I haven't read yet but they come highly recommended:

An Encyclopedia of Fairies-Katherine M. Briggs

The Secret Commonwealth of Elves, Fauns and Fairies - Rev Robert Kirk

The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Little People- Thomas Keightley

Hope that helps! Janet Bord's book also has an appendix that lists a bunch of fairy sites in Britain and has some neat photos (although some I am pretty sure are fake) I like the Monster book because it is essentially an investigators handbook and it has some magickal defense techniques in the back. I know you said you weren't really into magick but there are some natural magick techniques and well, better safe than sorry. The Fay aren't always "nice" :)

365803[/snapback]

Nice thanks, Ive just asked the same question basically in the book section before realising you'd answered here lol.

Dreigiau

And I was about to move my relpy to that thread when I saw you replied over here! :)

Nice thanks, Ive just asked the same question basically in the book section before realising you'd answered here lol.

365806[/snapback]

Edited by Dreigiau

Yarrow

Like Fortuna I do not go magic and as I am of non-theist inclinations I do not deal with gods.

As books go I would recommend 'Listening People Speaking Earth' by Graham Harvey and the Introduction to Pagan Studies' by Barbara Jane Davy. These books do not tell 'you how to do Pagan ism but instead give a nice overview of Paganism and can help give some insight as to what it is the binds the various denominations found within Paganism together.

If you find that there are no suitable predefined ‘Pagan Path’ (or even if you do) then you may find it helpful to do a more general reading around religion and philosophy. To this end I recommend 'Religion: The Basics' (2nd edition) by Malory Nye, 'Philosophy: The Basics' by Nigel Warburton and 'Religions in the Modern World: Traditions and Transformations' ( 2nd edition) edited by Linda Woodhead et al.

As for your interest in fairies you could try 'At the Bottom of the Garden : Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things' by Diane Perkiss. I have never read the book, though it is quoted in an essay by Sabina Magliocco (‘Aradia in Sardinia: The Archaeology of a Folk Character’ in Ten Years of Triumph of the Moon) concerning the way many characteristics of fairies are shared with the spirits of the dead.

Fortuna

Also you mention in your intro thread that you are interested in nature, the weather and herbalism. So why not study these things? Although not overtly Pagan, a good knowledge about these things will greatly enhance your journey down whatever path you choose.

If you want to read to enhance your feelings of Paganness you could do a lot worse than getting a few books on wildlife. Theres nothing quite so rewarding and going for a walk and being able to name the birds, trees, flowers and so on, that you see.

Mike