Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Already Feeling A Bit... Lost

Guest Ms_Book

So Ive read the book Pagan Paths, theres a lot of interesting things in there but nothing that jumps out to me and shouts HAI.

I have a list now of other lovely books to read, but was wondering if theres anything else that I can do to help myself find my path?

For example, those who have personal deities, how did you find them or how did they find you?

Is the world tree/tree of life important in any particular path, as Im very drawn to the idea..

Im trying to not over think matters but I do feel that if I dont ponder on the subject then I will just wander along doing the same old nothingness Ive been doing for years.. :) Im trying to place things I feel drawn to down in a way that will make sense.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Forgive me if I am wrong here, but sometimes if a person has been brought up in a strong Christian household they can expect to approach Paganism in the same way........ even if the actual beliefs are different. This is only natural. Christianity is very clear cut compared to Paganism. Paganism is a very broad thing covering any number of paths, religions, philosophies and so on. People can not direct you on your path, as most Pagans would encourage people to find their own way. What people can do is knock ideas around with you, have discussions, debates........... and from this interaction with others things will hopefully become clearer for you.

For instance you mention the World Tree (Yggdrasils). This is prominent in various forms in different cultures, but it key to a Heathen world view. Why not simply start a thread asking what the World Tree is. You will find our Heathen members more than willing and able to tell you all about it (and you will enjoy and learn a lot from their passionate style).

So ask about things which you are interested in, but not for people to direct you....... if you follow me.

So chill, and savour the journey. Frustrating advice maybe, but in my view good advice.

Mike

With religions of the book people are told what to believe. A pagan path is often deeply personal with some commonalities with others.

Ask questions - that is what we are here for and, in time, things will become clearer.

A good practice is stilling your mind and connecting with the earth to ground and centre.

Find a comfortable place to sit - outside is good - then imagine that your roots are extending deep into the earth and drawing up the energy letting it pas through your body and out through your head to cascade into the earth again. Just be still and feel good.

When I started out there were hardly any books and so I had to feel my way - it worked. The amount of books around now must be very confusing.

The term World Tree is most often applied to the Heathen Yggdrasil , the term Tree of Life often means the qabbalistic tree of life which is used by Ceremonial Magicians to describe the universe and all existence. Trees in general are important to the paths of Druidry (most versions of Druidry are organised around tree-lore, with a tree as guardian of each realm of existence) and many forms of Witchcraft. It might help if you spend some time thinking about what you mean by world tree/tree of life or let us know which aspects of the ideas you need information about. If you need to think out loud there is always someone on here who will enjoy the conversation.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow for a bit, to see where the river is going.

I suggest you read Marian Green's Book, "A Witch Alone".

In it she gives instructions for pagan meditation. It's a bit like buddhist meditation except that you are meditating INTO the world instead of away from it. Basically it's sitting quietly for ten minutes - although there is a little more to it than that. It did things for me. It's worth trying.

Forgive me if I am wrong here, but sometimes if a person has been brought up in a strong Christian household they can expect to approach Paganism in the same way........ even if the actual beliefs are different.  This is only natural.  Christianity is very clear cut compared to Paganism.  Paganism is a very broad thing covering any number of paths, religions, philosophies and so on.  People can not direct you on your path, as most Pagans would encourage people to find their own way.  What people can do is knock ideas around with you, have discussions, debates........... and from this interaction with others things will hopefully become clearer for you.

For instance you mention the World Tree (Yggdrasils).  This is prominent in various forms in different cultures, but it key to a Heathen world view.  Why not simply start a thread asking what the World Tree is.  You will find our Heathen members more than willing and able to tell you all about it (and you will enjoy and learn a lot from their passionate style).

So ask about things which you are interested in, but not for people to direct you....... if you follow me.

So chill, and savour the journey.  Frustrating advice maybe, but in my view good advice.

Mike

365924[/snapback]

I will ask about the world tree, I do love a good discussion about things but really know nothing about this topic, although I really feel drawn to the tree.

With religions of the book people are told what to believe. A pagan path is often deeply personal with some commonalities with others.

Ask questions - that is what we are here for and, in time, things  will become clearer.

A good practice is stilling your mind and connecting with the earth to ground and centre.

Find a comfortable place to sit - outside is good - then imagine that your roots are extending deep into the earth and drawing up the energy letting it pas through your body and out through your head to cascade into the earth again.  Just be still and feel good.

When I started out there were hardly any books and so I had to feel my way - it worked. The amount of books around now must be very confusing.

365926[/snapback]

I can see why so many people follow religions of the book, its easier to be told what to do... but frustrating also. I shall practise stilling my mind, that will be hard work as its always wizzing around :)

The term World Tree is most often applied to the Heathen Yggdrasil , the term Tree of Life often means the qabbalistic tree of life which is used by Ceremonial Magicians to describe the universe and all existence. Trees in general are important to the paths of Druidry (most versions of Druidry are organised around tree-lore, with a tree as guardian of each realm of existence) and many forms of Witchcraft. It might help if you spend some time thinking about what you mean by world tree/tree of life or let us know which aspects of the ideas you need information about. If you need to think out loud there is always someone on here who will enjoy the conversation.

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow for a bit, to see where the river is going.

365927[/snapback]

I think I shall start writing down what I think and adding notes so I know what I mean by world tree. lol... I know, but not in a way I can explain in words yet.

I will probably do a lot of thinking outloud here, my partner, bless him, is very straightforward and isnt good for knocking ideas about with. :D

So Ive read the book Pagan Paths, theres a lot of interesting things in there but nothing that jumps out to me and shouts HAI.

I have a list now of other lovely books to read, but was wondering if theres anything else that I can do to help myself find my path?

For example, those who have personal deities, how did you find them or how did they find you?

Is the world tree/tree of life important in any particular path, as Im very drawn to the idea..

Im trying to not over think matters but I do feel that if I dont ponder on the subject then I will just wander along doing the same old nothingness Ive been doing for years.. :)  Im trying to place things I feel drawn to down in a way that will make sense.

365919[/snapback]

I don't know if this would help but I know that feeling of needing to do something concrete, a map so you know where you've been and maybe to hint as to where you are going. (Just always remember the map is not the territory) In addition to all the great advice given here, I'd suggest you start writing stuff down. you don't have to even journal (unless you want to), you can just write things down like "World Tree" or whatever you think of and maybe the first things that come to mind or make doodles if you are so inclined. None of it needs to make any sense, but it might help you see patterns or connections. I also second the sitting outside quietly idea, if you can't still your mind then I'd sit and just observe everything, every puff of breeze every leaf, every squirrel, what the light is doing, what the ground feels like. I do that and I find it works pretty well as I am not good at quiet meditation either. (Although it's not a bad skill to learn but I wouldn't worry about it til later, you don't want to get frustrated and overwhelmed :D ) I have also found that there are certain trees that seem more receptive(?) to humans and those are the best trees to sit under if you can find one. It's easier to do this in Britain I think than here so you shouldn't have trouble finding one (you'll know it when you find one, it's a nice feeling :D )

As for personal deities I guess you will have to figure out what you feel and believe about the Gods. (there is no wrong answer) Pagans run the gamut from Athiest (don't believe in any dieties) to believing in archetypical Dieties, or believing in a male and female Dieity, or "Pantheism "the view that the Universe (Nature) and God are identical, or that the Universe is the only thing deserving the deepest kind of reverence. Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal, anthropomorphic or creator god" all the way to "Hard Polytheism "Hard Polytheists believe that gods are distinct, separate real divine beings not psychological archetypes or personifications of natural forces. Hard polytheists reject the idea that "all gods are one God"

This is contrasted with Soft Polytheism, which holds that Gods may be aspects of only one God, psychological archetypes or personifications of natural forces." And some people just believe in Nature Spirits. There are as many ways of viewing Deity as there are Pagans but this gives a broad overview of what's out there. (I'm a hard polytheist in case you were wondering)

Anyway I hope that helps, there isn't any hurry, it took me almost 10 years to sort my path out and I am still refining my personal beliefs even though I follow a well defined path. :D

I don't know if this would help but I know that feeling of needing to do something concrete, a map so you know where you've been and maybe to hint as to where you are going. (Just always remember the map is not the territory) In addition to all the great advice given here, I'd suggest you start writing stuff down. you don't have to even journal (unless you want to), you can just write things down like "World Tree" or whatever you think of and maybe the first things that come to mind or make doodles if you are so inclined. None of it needs to make any sense, but it might help you see patterns or connections. I also second the sitting outside quietly idea, if you can't still your mind then I'd sit and just observe everything, every puff of breeze every leaf, every squirrel, what the light is doing, what the ground feels like. I do that and I find it works pretty well as I am not good at quiet meditation either. (Although it's not a bad skill to learn but I wouldn't worry about it til later, you don't want to get frustrated and overwhelmed :) ) I have also found that there are certain trees that seem more receptive(?) to humans and those are the best trees to sit under if you can find one. It's easier to do this in Britain I think than here so you shouldn't have trouble finding one (you'll know it when you find one, it's a nice feeling :D )

As for personal deities I guess you will have to figure out what you feel and believe about the Gods. (there is no wrong answer) Pagans run the gamut from Athiest (don't believe in any dieties) to believing in archetypical Dieties, or believing in a male and female Dieity,  or  "Pantheism "the view that the Universe (Nature) and God are identical, or that the Universe is the only thing deserving the deepest kind of reverence. Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal, anthropomorphic or creator god" all the way to "Hard Polytheism "Hard Polytheists believe that gods are distinct, separate real divine beings not psychological archetypes or personifications of natural forces. Hard polytheists reject the idea that "all gods are one God"

This is contrasted with Soft Polytheism, which holds that Gods may be aspects of only one God, psychological archetypes or personifications of natural forces." And some people just believe in Nature Spirits. There are as many ways of viewing Deity as there are Pagans but this gives a broad overview of what's out there. (I'm a hard polytheist in case you were wondering)

Anyway I hope that helps, there isn't any hurry, it took me almost 10 years to sort my path out and I am still refining my personal beliefs even though I follow a well defined path. :D

365968[/snapback]

Wow thanks thats really useful stuff. I cant do journals, tried more than once and fail everytime, but doodles and random jotting is easy :D and thanks for the description of belief in deities, I knew there was more than one way to look at it just not which ways.

Ive come from beliving in One creator god. I dont know how I feel about deities yet.

So you can imagine how I feel, I was from birth until the age of 25 a Jehovahs Witness. What you are taught there isnt even like what most 'normal' christan faiths believe in so I have a lot of de docrinating and re learning to do.. Im two years out and still getting to grips with things. (I was treated very badly)

[edited by MH to fix quotes]

Edited by Moonhunter

Wow thanks thats really useful stuff. I cant do journals, tried more than once and fail everytime, but doodles and random jotting is easy :D and thanks for the description of belief in deities, I knew there was more than one way to look at it just not which ways.

No problem :) I figured having a place to start might help

Ive come from beliving in One creator god. I dont know how I feel about deities yet.

So you can imagine how I feel, I was from birth until the age of 25 a Jehovahs Witness. What you are taught there isnt even like what most 'normal' christan faiths believe in so I have a lot of de docrinating and re learning to do.. Im two years out and still getting to grips with things. (I was treated very badly)

365975[/snapback]

oh wow, yeah take things slow and easy then. Were you treated badly in general or only when you decided to leave?

365975[/snapback]

oh wow, yeah take things slow and easy then. Were you treated badly in general or only when you decided to leave?

365978[/snapback]

I never had it easy coming from a single parent family whos father was questionable, even though I never knew him. Always outside as no one really wanted their kids to mingle with someone like me.... even though Id done nothing wrong myself.

Then there were health issues, which those people insisted weren't real and would delibrately use things that would agrivate the situation (asthma) my brother ended up in hospital several times.

Then my (now ex) husband had an affair with another witness woman, along with the abuse Id received off him since our honeymoon meant I had enough and left him.

I was then urged quite insistantly to return to him as a dutiful wife. I refused and so I was treated like shit, ignored, looked down on... in some cases people would cross the road to avoid me, filthy looks, the normal kind of bigoted crap people with brains the size of peas get up to. Then I had the leaders keep trying to get my family to get me to agree to meet with them, I refused unless they asked me directly (being an adult and all) they never did.

I got a little bit fed up of it all (read well pissed off) and left.

They care'd so much that after two years Ive not had one communication with them.

Such a big loss to me.. not.

I lost half my family when I left, my brother and sister in law, my aunt and uncle will NOT speak to me now.

I gained a wonderful boyfriend and his family though so meh.

And thats cutting a long story short tbh.

Hope I didnt bore you to much.

Ms Book, it is no wonder you long for something concrete to hold onto and get your teeth into. A spiritual path is supposed to be joyful and uplifting, but it sounds as though it has been a nightmare for you. I'm glad you have broken loose and are now in a more positive position.

I know you feel a bit lost, but try not to get hung up on that (I know it is easier said than done). People who are adrift will often cling to the first floating thing that comes along, but it might be useful for you to go with the flow, however uncomforatable that might feel. After all, from what you have written it is not as if you lack courage is it.

You just take a little time and use that natural curiosity of yours and things will start to come together for you. Paganism can be a wonderfully liberating way of looking at the World, and it wont pressurise you or try to make you conform to anything you don't want to.

Mike

365984[/snapback]

No not bored at all thank you for sharing your story with me :)

Ms Book, it is no wonder you long for something concrete to hold onto and get your teeth into.  A spiritual path is supposed to be joyful and uplifting, but it sounds as though it has been a nightmare for you.  I'm glad you have broken loose and are now in a more positive position.

I know you feel a bit lost, but try not to get hung up on that (I know it is easier said than done).  People who are adrift will often cling to the first floating thing that comes along, but it might be useful for you to go with the flow, however uncomforatable that might feel.  After all, from what you have written it is not as if you lack courage is it.

You just take a little time and use that natural curiosity of yours and things will start to come together for you.  Paganism can be a wonderfully liberating way of looking at the World, and it wont pressurise you or try to make you conform to anything you don't want to.

Mike

365986[/snapback]

Its good to know. Sometimes I feel like a right drip, then I think of some of the crap Ive gone through and think maybe Im not such a drip after all.

I have found that trying to make me believe anything will shove me in the opposite direction to be honest lol.

And yeah its been a nightmare, I was not happy, I feel Im a spiritual person and I want to be happy in it. Ive been floating around for a while now, and the more I contemplate the more I know for sure that religions such as christianity etc are NOT for me.

My personal life is WAY better now, just for the spiritual side to get figured out and Ill be hunkydory. :)

365984[/snapback]

No not bored at all thank you for sharing your story with me :)

365991[/snapback]

Im glad you listened :D

What a nightmare you’ve had, truly, some awful things happen in the name of religion :)

I’m so glad you broke away from such an oppressive and undermining environment, and I salute your courage for doing so. :D

What Fortuna and the others have said I heartily endorse. If you want to actually “do” something, then I’d suggest carrying on with your reading, (you were asking about gods – I’d recommend doing some reading of various mythologies (there’s tons online to give you a flavour) and seeing if any of them speak to you), and taking some time, every day, preferably outdoors, and simply be. Even just for a few minutes, just soaking up the sheer wonderment of nature, paying attention to how plants are growing, what the sky is doing, the birds, everything. Let your imagination flow. I try and do that myself, I find it amazingly connecting and re-charging.

But, as I’ve said before, take your time with it all, the answers could well cascade onto your lap, but they could be like treasure hunt clues. Stop and smell the roses – literally. Don’t be in a massive rush to get to the end result of your spirituality, the fact that you’re open and expectant is, at the moment, probably enough.

*hugs* to you Ms Book, that sounds horrible :D.

As Fortuna says though, be careful not to grab the first thing that you come across in Paganism, just take some time to try as much out as you'd like. If you want to try and see if the Greek Gods talk to you one week, then go for it, if you want to try the Norse Gods, go for it, if you want to try out pantheism or atheism, go for it! Just take time to explore and relax about things. No one expects you go get into some path right away, some of the most interesting Pagans I know don't follow anything like a path, well, other than whichever one their feet are on at the time that is! :) :).

Im probably gonna turn into an interesting pagan with the most mixed up thoughts of all time lol.

I have to fight my inclination to be so blooming cynical.

I decided this morning to pay respects to the local trees, each one I walked by I said good morning too.... and felt like a right prat, even though I wanted to say morning. (its only polite)

I did find myself wondering if the tree spirits come alive in towns and move during the night as Im sure I used to believe as a child the trees in woods did.

I do seem to have a thing for the trees.

"Never seen miles of green,

Smelt the landscape sweet, serene."

Thomas Hardy poem on urban trees, worth looking up.

Mike

Im probably gonna turn into an interesting pagan with the most mixed up thoughts of all time lol.

Oi! get in the queue :lol:

I have to fight my inclination to be so blooming cynical.

.... and felt like a right prat,

I do seem to have a thing for the trees.

Sounds like you're on the right lines so far <_<

As the others have said, take your time and listen to your heart. Explore, question and follow your own lead. The rest of us can help with some answers, but only you know what's right for you.

I would agree with the others just see what happens. I also say follow the things you like! If you like plants and growing things look into that etc.

it does seem to be hard at first but you may just wake up one day and realise your all ready on your path.

Don't worry if one day you seem to be happy with one thing and not the next. Paths are not a straight line but tend to wonder!

What you follow is your path as several people have yelled at me andN0-ONE can tell you what to do or how to follow it!

What makes you feel good and happy with is your path.

Take care.

Ms Book, first off I'd like to say 'hi' :)

The joyous and intensely frustrating thing about modern Paganism is its lack of 'walls'. Starting out can feel like being dumped in a room with many doors, which then open into other rooms with more doors, but then you decide you want to go back into the original room .... get the picture??

Making your way along is very much your own personal journey. It took me some time to realise that what I'm doing is right for me at this time, and that I can change my mind, and evolve.

My path is inspired Druidry from the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids, and my core belief system tends to be pantheistic, so I was rather surprised last year to receive a visit from Odin in a mediation! Other than this, I have never had direct experience with a Deity or Spirit Guide in a meditation, so I feel that it's not essential to have one.

As you move through, read or talk to people, doodle or scribble randomly, learn and experience you will indeed figure out the best way for you.

Warm blessings

Elaine x