Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
deebs

A Tale From The Valley - work in progress, has been for a while

deebs

A youngster was playing up on the hillside above the valley, kicking a ball around loudly with his friends, playing in the sun, when the ball was kicked through the trees and a crashing sound was heard. He knew what this meant, the old timer who lived in there was going to be cross, but this was their only ball, and someone had to go and get it, this someone was going to be him.

Slowly and carefully he headed into the forest looking for the ball, hoping the old timer was nowhere to be found. Finally he found the ball, in the hands of the old timer who was standing by a small stone wall which was now scattered in pieces on the ground.

"Is this yours sonny" he asked, in a tone which could be described as weary and disapointed yet calm and forgiving. "Umm.. yes sir, sorry.." said the youngster. The old timer sat on a small tree stump by the broken wall and placed the ball on the ground. "y`know sonny, I remember when I was a youngster, wasnt much older than you are now when I found this place. Of course back in those days it was very different around here." The youngster, intregued by this sat down and allowed the old timer to tell his story.

"I remember when there was nothing, no valley, nothing but wilderness, wasnt even a trail up to this place.

It began long ago, after wandering for what seemed like an age I decided to settle, a gathering place it was, small but cozy, nothing but, we would talk with travellers, hearing tales of adventures in far off lands, soon we would forge links with similar gathering places, the mailman would arrive each night with tales of the discussions and we would chip in, happy days those.

Not many folks know that, there was something before the valley, but," and he laughs, "Thats all in the past now.

Of course it wasnt to last, came the time that the mailman was telling of those other gathering places being lost, soon there were all too few of them left and the mailman had no mail to deliver, we saw less and less of him then until he was no more, and our happy band of travellers left the gathering and went their seperate ways once more.

So there I was again, wandering in the wilderness, looking for a home. There were dotted around a few villages but none of them took my fancy, or took fancy to me" he laughed again, "and I was beginning to leave hope behind of finding a home, then it was I came over the crest of that hill" he pointed towards the west, "and looked upon the valley for the first time.

There was nothing here back then, just the natural lie of the land, the caves up on the hill, the great tree down there and the forests up here. So I decided, as good a place I shall be lucky to find, and set about building, a vision, a gathering place like no other. It was to be a place of learning, a place of sharing, a place where an alter to hekate could stand next to an alter to the christ and folks would discuss their experiences without malice or hatred. I soon finished the meeting house there, and soon other travellers found upon the place. Happy days again, not the bussling community we have now, there were few of us, but a happy few." The old timer sighed, "how few of them remain, I often wonder what became of the folks I used to know. Still, there came some who have remained, the old viking and his lady, they came sometime after the start, but seemed to have made this place a home, few remember the first days anymore, but there are one or two of us old timers still around who do."

The old timer looked at the youngster, but he was no longer there, peering through the trees the old timer caught a glimpse of the youngsters in the clearing, playing with the ball again. He laughed to himself, "silly old fool, boring folk with takes of yesterdays when theres work to be done, always work to be done." and he laughed again as he knelt down and put one stone on top of another until the wall was rebuilt, good as new. "Lots of rebuilding to be done yet, lots of work, but we`ll get there in the end."

The sound of demolition echoed around and the old timer saw the dust rising from another once proud hut in the village, "ah well, here we go again" he thought.

Ad from Google

Esk

Thanks deebs, for that and for this.

Rhiana

ditto :D

Guest Niord

The old viking and his lady liked what they saw and will keep on helping to build and rebuild. :D

Guest Dave

The old timers "vision" will of course be recognised, all the more quickly for his fellow builders being of like mind and by all making small compromises along the way.

Thanks for the valley old timers.

Guest AuntieMint

After all those years wandering alone in the wilderness, it was such a relief to find the Valley - thankyou :D

Pomona

Pomona remembers the old times, and the struggles and the battles, and the relief on finding The Valley. She is glad to be a part of it.

LadyCatCrimson

... remembers what came before the Valley was found in ages past, and does not remember it very fondly. Was often in danger of having her pass to the place revoked due to infrequent visits. Would poke her nose round the door sometimes seeking ... she didn't quite know what, but she knew she would never find it in a place where thunder and lightning raged day and night and great lumps of rock flew about the sky and landed near or very often on the inhabitants... conditions not brought to bear by the gods or by the dwellers love of justice, parley and the expansion of their minds but indeed the narrowing of their souls.

The sign on the entrance to the Valley is not Utopia, but a welcome to a land of green and growth, where sometimes necessary pruning takes part to allow fresh life to bud and sometimes the deadwood falls all by itself. A place where those that arrive green in knowledge or experience are given the opportunity to learn in safety and comfort without scorn and contempt being poured forth upon their heads and treated as kindly and fairly as the oldest and wisest of all, that they may grow and flourish in their turn and return the favour to others. A place where huts may rise and fall but life goes ever on.

She didnt honestly expect going on past experience that this would be somewhere that she would want to stay for a long time, but she finds that is she mostly quite happy and comfortable here and does regard it as something of a home and is also glad to be part of it, and so she's not going to be going anywhere else, and would be happy to help out and contribute in any way she can, only she doesnt really know what she's doing but heyho :D

Edited by LadyCatCrimson

Cosmic_Fool

Coz tends to his tree, its growing well despite some recent storms and he is looking forward to a nice crop of bladders. Hearing the sounds of a football being kicked about (a terrible waste for a bladder) he looks up to the hills and spies the silhouette of the old timer at the Valley rim.

Coz hopes the old timer knows how much his work is appreciated and spends a moment in silent contemplation of how things could be elsewhere. With a sigh of relief for the very existance of the Valley he turns his attention to his burgening crop.

Reaching for his bug spray he takes aim at a catterpillar that has gotten plump on the fruits of his labour and is just about to munch on a budding bladder.

Watching a bluetit, attracted by the pheromones in the spray, swoop down and carry off its wriggling meal, Coz thinks to himself that no matter how hard you tend to your garden there is always something that needs attention, but even so the result is worth it.

Freebird

Freebird sits and remembers his fleeting visit to the old place, the time spent in the wilderness inbetween; and the feeling of hope when he found the new valley, and encountered the inhabitants, some old, some new. I'm glad to say that the hope wasn't short lived.

Rain

I read back to page one of the old forum, an see the kinship as it develope :P

The old timers are always the best, they know the blood through its most basic. They understand the ways and although they appreciate that a dog is a dog, they treat each individual as its own.

Rain sits an listens along with the youngster ;)....you cant beat the tales of the old timers...an many a lesson is hidden in there to learn.

Young blood thinks it knows it all, but lacks the experiance of life.

I sit an listen in hope of catchin a gem of knowledge, one day i be an ol timer too.

Rain

Edited by Rain

gypsimoon

Gypsimoon overhears the old timer talking to the young one while taking a walk in the wood. She vaguely remembers the old valley and the people who populated it then. It was a nice place and many a story was told. But there were some who felt it shouldn't be a place for all to come to chat and to learn, for those in the know. Intolerance crept in and dissention was the order of the day. The creaters of the valley disagreed with this dissention and saw the valley in need of changes.

Many of the Elders packed they bags in anger and left the valley, thowing verbal vollies on the way out. So a new and better valley was the order of the day. A quiet place, but not without more verbal attackes as the new valley was born. Attacks that hurt many of those who stayed. But this valley has grown with new people coming here with varying ideas and are made to feel welcome. Oh there are still challanges with those who hover and spout nonsense and become incensed when questioned. But they rarely build their cave here.

The valley has grown with the tender care of those of the old valley and here we are today. The one constant of this world is change, it's a matter of survival. So I thank those with the courage to change and the courage of their convictions to rebuild this place. A place where different subjects can be bounced around, where humor is the order of the day and stories can be told by all.

Guest Herneoakshield

Herne though not a member of the old valley has heared some of the tales of trouble and strife, and is thankful to the Old Timers for their efforts to provide a place where all are welcome. and would like to thank the creator of this place, the founder, For all that has been done.

It is my home, I feel I belong here and will continue to live in my cave behind the waterfall, my wonderings around the woods and hills of the valley teaching me much about myself and the ways I walk.

Thank You to the old timers for their time and effort, may the valley prosper once more...

Rhiana

Looking round the new valley Rhiana smiled but was not a little worried about the old timer title :o_wave: " I'm reaching my prime I tell ya " she muttered

weatherwitch

weatherwitch just a few years behind Rhi also worries about the old timer bit too.

Long live the UKP Valley - my friends and my family. I'll soon have been here three years myself, tis a long time in net life.

deebs, you're a hero :)

deebs

Was remembering this thread recently. Can't believe it was 12 years ago now.

• Like 2

Veggie dancer

Thanks for boosting this thread, it was a lovely read. :-) and thanks so much for all the work you do tending to the valley. 

• Like 1

Moonsmith

image.png.6e40ffdd1ce092ebd9655f7c30e04fcb.pngimage.png.3d61d0c5916887c515f4769291d6c1b2.png  does it not?  Thanks Deebs.

Moonsmith

Moonsmith might be old but he's not one of the Elders, the old timers.  He misses so many of them and thinks about the skill, knowledge and comradeship, not to mention conflict, that has gone with them.  He wonders what New Thinking might be able to build here and hopes that he will understand it.  He knows that titanium is better than timber and that it can survive where timber won't.  He'll get used to it if he has to.

In the meantime he chucks his shovel into the barrow and buggers off to find another pile.  There aren't as many as there used to be but - well - Moonsmith knows what he's good at.

Double posted because time goes by so much quicker than it used to while you are thinking.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.