Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Can Anyone Help? - needing a little help

Guest shadow_wolf

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Have a look through the threads in the Starters Forum hun. Lots of people have been in exactly the same boat as you, and felt the same way, so have a look at some of the threads on this very subject :)

thanks what i mean by where to start i mean should i be reading

books or trying to contact a coven or somthing it just theres so

much stuff it like standing at several flights of stairs not

knowing which one will take you to where you want to be :blink:

bad example i know but you get the picuture :blink: i hope :blink:

Well, for one thing covens are just for Wiccans and a few other witches who want to work in a collective group, rather than alone. So that in itself begs the questions:

- do you want to be Wiccan?

- do you want to practice magic in a group?

- do you want to practice the sort of magic a coven might practice?

many witches aren't Wiccans, and many prefer to work alone, or with one other. Very many pagans don't practice magic at all, let alone in a coven. Oh, and finding an heriditary Wiccan coven willing to take a trainee is a virtually impossible task. :blink:

Othere pagan paths include:

druids - OBOD type or solitary or other organisations or Celtic recons

recons - Celtic (all varieties - Irish, Welsh, European etc), Heathen/Asatru, Roman (Religio Romana), Greek (Hellenismos), Egyptian (Kemetic) etc etc

shamans

others I can't immediately think of.

And then there's everyone who simply makes their own path - possibly the majority of pagans.

thanks what i mean by where to start i mean should i be reading

books or trying to contact a coven or somthing it just theres so

much stuff it like standing at several flights of stairs not

knowing which one will take you to where you want to be  :blink:

bad example i know but you get the picuture  :blink: i hope  :blink:

376323[/snapback]

Shadow Wolf.

I didn't say "Take a deep breath" for nothing!

Have you gone back and really looked at the threads of the others that have felt the same way as you? Have you read the many answers that people far wiser than I have given. It needs a little effort but so does holding any belief.

I KNOW that you want a quick answer. We all did.

Pete Jennings book is very good but there is a danger of "Jumping to Solutions";of using it like a catalogue; of feeling that you should pick one of the belief systems in the book. If the book gives you a start point then well and good but whatever else you do don't lock in to any of them straight away. Read the book and then let go of it for a while. I'm not sure who said "Let the winds of heaven dance between you and your learning." Probably not a Pagan but its good advice.

You have all the time in the world.

Most people on this forum do not HAVE a specific named path. I call myself a Druid because I meet and practice with other Druids but that is because [for now] my thoughts accord with theirs, not because I "Joined" and THEN started thinking.

By the way

If Thor, Cernunnos, Bastet or Hekate should come and tap you on the shoulder then you should ignore what I have just said very very promptly. :(

Otherwise its going to take a little work and a lot of silence and listening.

I wish you well and happy,

Pat.

hi

i was wondering if anyone could help me as i havent a clue where to start

am new to paganism and am finding it a little scary :o_wave:

376246[/snapback]

I know exactly how you feel! I'm finding just reading other posts and seeing which one seem relevant to me :)

• 1 month later...

MM to all,

I did the same as Helparx. I knew I had a 'calling' towards paganism but didn't know where to start. I bought a couple of books and gradually, a particular path chooses you. From there you can take from it the bits that interest and work for you.

Talking to other people helps a lot and it seems there is a wide range of information on here so whatever path you decide to follow, there is always someone you can converse with for help and ideas.

BB

Hello

It can be information overload hun. Might I recommend you start a meditation practice? Ten minutes a day is enough, or try getting into a free floating state of mind when you walk in nature. That way you tune into your own inner self, which is the most reliable guide when it comes to finding a way forward. Once you tune in, it is surprising how quickly answers can come x

If Thor, Cernunnos, Bastet or Hekate should come and tap you on the shoulder then you should ignore what I have just said very very promptly. :lol: 

NO YOU SHOULDN'T. Moonsmith's advice was very very wise - except for this bit. You should follow MS's advice even more so if you feel any pull from a God so soon. In particular - this bit is golden:

Otherwise its going to take a little work and a lot of silence and listening.

Marcus

I have a dislike of having to say I "am" one thing or another.

Some days what I do and feel classes me as a wiccan,other days I am a wild witch,then others a simple Pagan.

I prefer to say I am me,no one else.

As for where to start.....read loads of books,go with what sit`s right with you.Anything that makes you feel uncomfortable leave at the door.

In time,you will see and feel YOUR path,and it all comes with time.

I am nearly 44,and only now do I feel comfortable with who I am and what I do.

Take your time,listen lots,laugh loads and embrace the inner you :)