Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shimmering Stardust

Reincarnation And Karma

Guest artywitch

Also like to put, Its funny though how we get enraged by others who think our way is crap. So far i have never really got that angry because of people thinking my faith is crap. In fact i find humour in it most of the time. No skin off my nose. Though plenty of jokes about horny beasts joke and whatnots.

But for someone who has a real go at someone who disergrees,. but then says those who believe in crop circles are knobheads.

Well surely then you are no worse than me for saying karma is crap.

I also find in these situations is just to say. IMO and leave it at that. Then change the subject to tea or the weather is the best route of action.

Ad from Google

Guest SchroedingersCat

Arty, both your last two posts on this thread sort of make sense. Are you feeling ok?! :P :o :P :o_baeh: :)

Guest artywitch
Arty, both your last two posts on this thread sort of make sense.  Are you feeling ok?!  :P  :o  :P  :o_baeh:  :)

421021[/snapback]

no. i feel all light headed and woozy :D

Ethereal

Hmmm, this is an interesting one :). I hold a belief in reincarnation, a mixture of disliking the idea that there is only one "shot" that is inconsequential to anything other than ourselves and a great yearning for the concept that life is about spiritual, emotional, maturity and skill improvement/development that we may all become better people. (There will be many :rolleyes: at this point :D ) But also some of the things I have heard or seen lead me to believe that this is a plausible belief, general examples include things like seriously gifted children who on first encountering a piano play like well established masters, people holding accurate and precise knowledge of things or locations of which in this life they held no prior experience of. Some of this may be due to the fact that I have no personal belief in coincidence, coincidence in the chaos of creation is far too pattern like to my mind, a human concept designed to help make sense of things.

I have also had personal moments, usually involving other people, where upon meeting for the first time, you know them, I don't mean in a vague "god your familiar" way, but you know hard facts about them, seemingly without ever having met them before. I must stress at this point that this is a very rare occurrence, it has happened only twice in 28 years. So yes I believe in reincarnation, hope that the belief is not unfounded and most of all look forward to discovering if it is so :D.

My understanding of Karma is not one of direct consequences, as is often presented in the "cosmic score sheet" way. The idea that anyones challenges in this life are the direct consequence of actions in a previous life, is frankly to me, a little ridiculous. What makes more sense to my mind and the belief set within which I operate, is that in every life time we each have lessons that are to be learned (cue debate on predestination or not... ;) ) if in a previous life a lesson was not completed, that lesson will repeat in the next. Or as is often the case in the same life lessons will repeat, over and over and over, if so required, until learned.

But it becomes much more complicated than mere personal progression, I believe that everything shares a connection, through this connection we are influenced by others Karma, by involvement in the lessons they (or it) are learning. This may, or may not, be directly a part of our own lessons, as often in life we are presented with challenges and people that reflect ourselves, or things that we wish to improve upon. I can only wrap my head partially around the concept, with the use of the ripple effect, we each create ripples, these ripples affect everything around us, just as we are affected by the other ripples. But this is inadequate in completely explaining the concept, as it is not one that can easily be put into words.

As for the negative/positive aspect of Karma, it makes sense to me (due to connectedness) that if you surround yourself with negativity, you will receive negativity (or attract it) the same can be said of positivity. However this is not a will less process, we each hold the power to create our own realities and indeed to shape and direct them (otherwise the lessons are pointless right?). So we must each actively take part in and take responsibility for, our actions and progression, nothing will be given to us without effort on our parts, either "good" or "bad" ( these concepts themselves are clunky and inadequate, what is bad for one will be good for another). Karma is more a guide and teacher as we walk our paths, rather than a vengeful entity hell bent on retribution.

Guest aleqgrai

Karma - Bollocks more like - a load of hogwash made up by rich buggers to keep the proletariat in line and not have their minds in bettering their lot through the likes of revolution.

It goes something like this:

I am a peasant – I work hard – I want more – I deserve more – please sir – I want some more.

To which the caste system/ class system /Karma says – Sorry mate you is a peon, a serf, the scratching of your master’s chocolate salty balls – ergo you cannot have more – be happy – work hard and if you’re good you get to get a better life next time around. If you don’t like it – well that’s tough cos if you start an insurrection your boss will execute every mother**king last one of you, then ship in another load of peons from mountains to replace you – have a nice day.

Karma saves all that awkwardness in the aristocracy having to explain the golden rule. It’s a masterful bit of propaganda and even beats Christianity in its passive aggressive approach. Absolutely brilliant.

As for karma in its western translation – i.e. cause and effect – now that I can understand.

Example:

Stimulus: Upset local Deity – Invest in Copper roofing to avoid inevitable lightning strike

Effect: Flash Flood, then Earthquake, then forest fire.

Fortuna
I hold a belief in reincarnation, a mixture of disliking the idea that there is only one "shot" that is inconsequential to anything other than ourselves and a great yearning for the concept that life is about spiritual, emotional, maturity and skill improvement/development that we may all become better people.

I think this is why a lot of folk have a belief in reincarnation........... but I can't see how "disliking" the idea of death and "yearning" for perpetual betterment can lead to a genuine belief. When deciding whether to believe in something or not shouldn't we try to ignore what we want the answer to be and focus on actual reasons to believe. I could want the Moon to be made of the finest cheddar, doesn't mean to say that believing it is so isn't self dellusional. Things in this World are very often not as we would like them to be.

Mike

Guest A_Muse_Darkly

I think I lack the eloquoence to put my thoughts across properly, so I'll use the simple langauage I'm stuck with:P I'm not sure at all about karma as we are presented with it. My personal view is things are all inter connected-much like the Indra's web. I have a half baked gut feeling it's all connected a la Charles F Haanel-esque plane of thought. But then I'm probably way off the mark there, as someone earlier said more of a suspicion... We are all this seething mass of thought and intent and our actions and thoughts ripple out, how far that ripple goes can be very short or very far. One man's thoughts might spark a revolution and change the course of history, my postman however will be shaping the course of his tea time:P

Reincarnation..again I dunno...there have been past life regressions where the person in question has absoloutely no way on this earth they can know what they do. There may be an explanantion for those instances-but I have yet to see them. Maybe all of this is a coping mechanism for the bleak reality of it? Who knows? I think if there is nothing at all, then it kinda makes the concept of morality pointless, if there is no comeback then you might as well just do what you want as long you have the strength and the will to carry it through.

That thought makes me shiver, as there are far to many in this world doing that already from warlords to numpty dictators.