Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Scrying - what is it?

Guest Kat

OK, in the tools forum there is a post about making a scrying mirror. But how would you use it? What is it used for?

:o_grouphug:

Any experiences?

X Kat

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Scrying is a method of divination... Put in very basic terms, it is looking into something and getting visions from it, usually in answer to your questions. You can use a lot of different things to scry into - water, flame, crystal balls, or the darkened mirror mentioned in tools :o_wave:

Did you want a "how to scry" reply, or a "what is it?" type post?

the thing to remember is that a scrying tool is not in itself where the images come from. you can scry with pretty much anything.

the tool is like a cinema screen, onto which you project images from your own subconscious mind.

relax, let your eyes focus on a spot just behind the tool, or inside it (with crystal balls and the like) and let the images form. it dose take practice, but more practice will bring better results.

you can scry with mirrors, puddles or pools of water, mirrors when it's dark ouside (especially effective if it's raining) in a glass of red wine, water in a dark coloured bowl, or containing ink. smoke, fire, clouds, even your tv screen (when it's switched off ;) )

the more you look around the more you will find suitable things to scry with.

the thing to remember is that a scrying tool is not in itself where the images come from. you can scry with pretty much anything.

Yes! That isn't very clear from my post, oops ;)

Thank you, Galena :D

I havent used a scrying mirror myself ithier, so am keen to hear any experiances aswell.Does it have to be done alone? ans I read it has to be in a dark room(which freaks me a bit). Galenas idea of a switched of TV screen seems very practical!! but i'm a bit scared!.... :ph34r:

SMD, you don't have to do it in the pitch black with the wind howling around your windows (even if it is fun that way... :) ) but remember that a scrying mirror (or blacked out window, or blank TV screen...) will reflect everything the light touches. If you want light, use candles for the soft quality of light they give, and place them out of direct reflecting range of the mirror. That way you'll have light but you won't have the distraction of the reflection of the flames when you look into the mirror. If anything its good to have at least a little light to allow you to actually see the mirror :D

Another way to do it if you can't put the candles at the right angles to stop the flames reflecting, is to use a single candle flame as a focus. Rather like dropping a silver coin into a bowl of water to focus your eyes on as you begin to scry it, use the candle's reflection in the mirror as a starting point to focus, then relax your eyes and allow your gaze to wander into, and then through the flame. You might see images in the flame itself, or you might find that as your eyes relax the flame dwindles to a pinprick or seems to swell so that the entire mirror is lit up, but either way you'll be scrying :)

And Galena is absolutely right - you can scry with mirrors, bowls of water and ink or wax, flame, puddles, clouds, tealeaves, windows on dark evenings. I've scryed a large mug of mulled wine before (very effective actually - and that was before I'd drunk any :) )

I've never had clear success with scrying, I kept trying but found that the more I tried the less I got anything at all. The moral is not try too hard since that seems to counteract everything, just take your time and something will happen ....... says she for who it hasn't ;) I have more luck with the water filled iron chicken feeder outside than my homemade scrying bowl so it just goes to show that different ways and different means apply to different people :)

• 1 month later...

G'day all

I was always told that scrying was asking questions and receiving answers from a crystal (or other item), suspended on a string. It seems to work in much the same way, in that it involves a projection of one's subconscious. What is this called, if not scrying? :o_dance:

Peace,

lyi.

Oh I see, thank you! I get a bit muddled up with terms and obviously I was misinformed on that one. :)

Peace,

lyi.

• 1 month later...

I've been interested in Wicca/Paganism for absolutely years now, but only about a fornight ago did I get a crystal ball. I haven't seen anything yet - sometimes I wonder if I'm doing something 'wrong' - yet when I stared into it peacefully the first night, I thought I could see a white 'aura' around me. Whether that was the case, or I was just tired and seeing things, I do not know.

If you ever want to get a crystal ball, I seem to remember that the 'best ones' are between 2cm-5cm in diameter (someone please correct me if I'm wrong! I'd hate to be giving out wrong advice!) mine has a 5cm diameter.

I think you can use any type of spherical stone - but I have heard mixed opinions on this. In the end, although I wanted to go for a moonstone ball, I chose a clear crystal one.

Note: Crystal balls will have the images behind them turned upside down. Glass will not.

I seem to have better luck scrying into a candle flame or sometimes a fire in the fire place. I learned this in a Yoga exercise to help with visualization.

When your eyes feel tired, close your eyes and of course you will still see the flame, but that will disappear and other images or colors will come through.

I've tried with water in a dark bowl with a candle, but I don't seem to get as much results as I do peering into a flame. I generally don't ask a question but just let the images flow from the subconscious. :o_grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...

To reiterate what's already been said; just about any inanimate object can be used for this pupose, it's all down to personal preference.

For me it's about focus and acceptence of what we may see.

The mind has to be open and we must be relaxed about whatever might present itself, we need to be relaxed about accepting and interpreting what we see.

If we're to analytical about whatever we might see then logic takes over.

Scrying is really not a logical event in the same way that much of human spirituality is not logical. The rules of logic often don't work with spirituality generally.

An open and relaxed mind is the key for me.

in a glass of red wine

I think we've probably all had those kinds of visions.

There's an article on scrying in the current Witchcraft & Wicca magazine. I like the idea that the early Arab scryers used their polished thumb nail to scry. Might have to try that :rolleyes:

I like the idea that the early Arab scryers used their polished thumb nail to scry.

40440[/snapback]

So an Arabic version of contemplating your navel then? :o_lol:

• 4 weeks later...