Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Whats The Difference?

Guest Donna24

Could anyone please tell me what's the difference between a pentecle and a pentagram I have a ring I been wearing it for years its a 5 pointed star in a cirlce! I believe its a pentecle but I'm unsure! I don't want to wear something if its not a good symbol. Sorry if its a silly question I'd rather ask :ph34r: x

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

That's what I understand too. I don't think it's too important. In case you're concerned, neither one of them is 'bad'. Inverted pentagrams can be associated with Satanism, but then so can a lot of things.

A Pentacle is a representation of the thing itself, an actual piece of jewellery or whatever that's a five pointed star. A Pentagram is a drawing or one, or the image of the five pointed star embossed on something.

Pentacle:

pentacle.jpg

Pentagram:

PS-solid-pentacle.jpg

Oddly enough, that's not quite true. We had this on another forum.

A Pentacle is a piece of jewellery, commonly a platelet with an inscribed design. It need not be a five-sided star. A Mogen David (a six-pointed star) is equally acceptable and does not disqualify it from being a pentacle, despite common belief.

A Pentagram is a five-pointed star in our familiar formation.

Surprised? I was.

that depends on the inverted pentagram as to which group you belong to. I did read somewhere that gardinarian wiccans use the inverted pentagram to denote an inner journey that explores the darker side of the self (as opposed to doing what is commonly associated with an inverted pent - like doing evil an all that).

however, i am not wiccan so others may have more to say on the matter.

I believe the church of satan uses an inverted pent with a rams head as a symbol of their worship. (i am not satanist either)

The pent has also beeen associated with xianity many moons ago (wiki is where i got that one)

its a bit like the swastika, its not so much the symbol itself thats good or bad, its what people do in their activities which then becomes linked to a symbol. the hindus have used the swastika for peace and hitler well...we all know about that one (although I believe the arms point in a different direction to the hindu swastika).

the cross is another conflicted symbol, its associated with xianity and for some it is a symbol for peace, sacrifice and so on, and yet for others it (perhaps on a more personal level) it is not, the recent exposure of sex abuse in the church has added a negative connotation.

in my view, it always comes down to personal action and I suppose, public perception of events and so on.

Fred - that's interesting and seems to run counter to the etymology, but if it's established use, then fair enough.

The main initiatory Wiccan lines use the inverted pentagram/cle as the symbol of the second degree.

The satanic version tends to have the goat's head in it, to represent the Goat of Mendes or Baphomet.

That's what I understand too. I don't think it's too important. In case you're concerned, neither one of them is 'bad'. Inverted pentagrams can be associated with Satanism, but then so can a lot of things.

378769[/snapback]

An inverted pentagram is also the symbol for second degree status is some Wiccan paths.

Edited: sorry, I had not read further down to this explanation already given!

Also it figures in Michaelangelo's famous line drawing with the man in pentacle shape within the circle ...

As well: the Folfot (from Hinduism with arms bent in either direction - in other words, both forms are used) was taken by the Nazis for their symbol and became commonly known as the swastika with all its modern connotations. The Folfot is still used by Hindus.

Edited by Naomi

The Folfot is still used by Hindus.

378937[/snapback]

And by Heathens. though I don't really understand how this is supposed to relate to a penacle/pentagram, as it is a square/four sided form?

Thanks again for the info :D

Whenever I search anything pagan or wiccan the symbol seems to be used a lot so its nice to have some idea of what it is now ! As I said I have been wearing my ring with pent on for years I just liked it as a teen :( its only since I've been learning paganism I wondered of the meaning I've never been asked about it x

Edited by Donna24

It's probably the most universal symbol among pagans simply because the majority of pagans are influenced by Wicca, and Wicca takes the symbol. Other religions - including Christianity - have used it in the past.

Other pagan religions use other symbols. :)

What are the other symbols if u don't mind me asking or are there to many :angry: x

379023[/snapback]

Too many. :)

For one thing, it depends on the religion; for another, some religions have many.

The commonest for my own religion is the Thor's Hammer, as we can't use the fylfot. Minb you, I never use the Hammer, and most of my firends don't use it. A couple use the Valknut, but I avoid Odhinn, so won't use that one, either.

The Folfot is still used by Hindus.

378937[/snapback]

And by Heathens. though I don't really understand how this is supposed to relate to a penacle/pentagram, as it is a square/four sided form?

378944[/snapback]

.... following on from Fizziclare's post ....