Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Protections - Essential for everyone

Guest Moongazer

Although casting a circle is often thought of as a protection – its main function, in my opinion, is to create a sacred space. That is - a space that is yours, not here in the mundane – nor in the world of spirit – but a neutral area where the two can meet. It does protect you, but in my experience you should always invoke, or provide yourself with, a psychic protection.

This is because when you are doing a working the energy you raise, as well as your own energy, can act like a beacon in the ‘ether’. This is a good thing – as you will want various energies / deities to be able to ‘find you’ – but it can also attract some unwanted ‘visitors’ – like gatecrashers at a party – that you didn’t invite and will be troublesome to get rid of. And this is something that many of the books you can buy don’t tell you, but in my opinion – they should.

The universe isn’t all sweetness and light, and even if you have never considered it before – if you are serious about Paganism and serious about working magic – be assured it is a serious business – and you should consider this now. Learn to walk before you can run. And before I get accused of being a spoilsport – I am giving this first because it is important. Paganism and magic are enjoyable, but the energies you are dealing with should never be taken lightly. A little respect and caution goes a long way.

It is very easy to create a protective psychic barrier around you, and there are a few methods. I will start with the basic ‘egg’.

Get yourself comfy and ‘be still’ within yourself. Now visualise a silver ball of energy in your mid riff – or solar plexus area. Think of it as being strong safe energy – feel it within you. You may experience a warmth in the area you visualise it to be. When you have that firmly fixed, begin to visualise the egg expanding, passing through you to the outside of your body so it surrounds you – a shield of strong, shimmering, silvery energy. Don’t take it too far out to begin with – just as far as it feels safe to do so. Be aware of how you feel as it surrounds you. When it is firmly in place, withdraw your mind from it but leave the shield in place. This is your psychic protection. It may take a little practice, but soon enough you will be able to just think ‘Shield !’ and it will be there.

There are other ways but this is a good, simple and effective one to start with. And it can be adapted according to need. You can use it at any time but certainly before you do any magical workings.

Adaptations

These comprise of two basic things – extending your shield, and maybe making it more ‘permanent’ – around a house, or a sleeping baby not in the room with you for instance, and adapting your personal shield for different situations.

The latter one is basically the addition of colour. Making your shield violet will strengthen the protection in a spiritual way, useful if you ‘soak up’ negative energies from other people. Making it blue is soothing and will allow you to ‘heal’ safely. Making it golden is making it stronger in times of adversity. And a very useful one for times when you don’t want your own energy to be hidden but you want to protect yourself – a job interview is a prime example – is visualise your shield as a golden grid – or mesh. You can also add a ‘command’ for your shield to deflect or repel anything that might be purposefully aimed at you, giving it an active energy rather than a passive energy.

Some people like to use a ring of fire - visualising fire all around them. Other people prefer 'armour' - visualising themselves wearing armour of some description. It is down to the individual of course, but I feel the egg is a good one to begin with.

Extending your shield is something that comes with practice, and I would also suggest – experience – of working with energies. Leaving a shield in place around a house – while you sleep, or away requires you ‘pinning it down’ and tools can be utilised for this. By tools I mean something physical which can be ‘charged’ with your intent and left in place.

Crystals are good for this, as some – like haematite, or obsidian have naturally protective energies. These can be placed above a door or window frame. It's a good idea to also have a 'key stone' (or maybe two or three) in a central point in the house. This is because they will give a sense of 'structure' to the stones, rather than having the energy 'circling' the house - there is more of a frameworl and therefore strength to the arrangement.

There are also symbols you can use, ‘drawn’ onto a wall above a door or window, maybe using moon or sun blessed water. If they are drawn with intent, they can hold it. Although they should be re-done if you clean.

Salt is another good one – this can be sprinkled around your property, or placed under the carpet in the corners of a room, or under the door mat. An old method of ridding yourself of someone or preventing them from ‘darkening your doorstep again’ was to sprinkle salt where they had been standing, and then sweep it out of the house, and to the boundary of your property.

Stone ornaments can also be ‘charged’ to protect, and of course certain plants like lavender and holly are said to be protective and can be planted, with intent, at the gates. Once you have your visualisation off pat, and your objects in place, it is easy to renew or strengthen the protection whenever you need to or want to.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Mmm, thanks. Was just thinking about this, 'specially the bit about the house.

When you talk about 'key stones' what exactly do you mean? Are you still referring to crystals or are you meaning pebbles or actual stones?

I think she means keystone in the same sense as you have a keystone in an arch - the one that holds the rest together. So in that case, another crystal (or several) in the middle of the house to give the whole thing structure.

You wouldn't have to use crystals, though, you can use anything you can attach your energies to. Moongazer was just suggesting the crystals she mentioned as they have naturally protective energies, which would augment the energies you attached to them :o_wave:

Hi

as i newbie i have found this stuff really hepful, i look forward to reading through :) it it alot more detail, it certainly looks easier to understand than alot of stuff i have read..!!

cheers rutie-toot

And the one thing about forums is that you can always ask and get a whole wealth of ideas from people as well as different approaches to things too :)

Best words of advice i were ever given was "DONT ever invite anything into your circle EVER" you dont know what maybe hangin on to it, or if it disguise itself as somin else.

Circle o protection is just what it should be,

Rain

• 2 weeks later...

Moongazer, starting to become impressed! :o_nono:

Some of the things, I know of, others learning.

Umm, I still don't understand at all, what keystones are?? lol

gemstones~creek rocks??

I've always heard using white light, doesn't let anything good in, the strongest color you can use for protection.

Gold, didn't know for hiding, and neither about the purple.. so good to know.

I'm already enough of a firey sign!!! LOL, sooo noooooo can't see putting a ring of fire around myself!! I would literally scrouge people!! truly!

I use witches bottles, at my frontdoor for protection..

I have an apt patio/entrance, I'm thinking of charging some clear quartz crystals and putting them around.. Lavandar plants, will they last in the sun? must they be watered?? lol :D

Anyone else, have some useful idea's, for apt patios/entrances? hmm maybe some nice nice ocean stones (and yes, I ask the stones, if its ok, to take them home) lol.

I have some empty plant holders , outside right now, no green thumb, but feng shui wise, too, don't think thats a good idea.

I live in a hot sunny climate, and don't want catacus, but something hardy, that will survive in the sun, without alot of attention, being paid to it! Lol

hmm trying to think of some other wards.

Having protection, visualizing it around me, my home, cats, even family , etc pretty much 2nd nature now. Plus, driving in my car and keeping the cops away, lol. or from simple vandelism.

Keep the suggestions coming guys!! :o_eek:

Blessings and happy parasailing~

Whispered

Umm, I still don't understand at all, what keystones are?? lol

Hi,

Kalianah explained it perfectly. They are simply a group of stones - I tend to use 3 - placed at a central point in the house during the working of protection when you place the others, charged with the intent of protection. They can be the same as the other stones you are using, or could be selected for additional properties, maybe depending on the room they are placed in. If you think of any kind of structure, it needs 'support' or it will fall down. A chemical structure needs 'bonds' liniking the molecules, to hold it together. So it is with keystones - they hold the structure of protection together by providing support.

Clear quartz will amplify - both negative or positive - so my natural inclination would not be to use them as a protective stone at the doorway, but they would be good as keystones :o_wave:

Lavender would be perfect in your empty planters, they dont seem to mind full sun - but dont forget to water them because they are in tubs - but only when they need it, lavenders dont seem to like too much water.

• 2 weeks later...

I share my home with a number of spirits (the realy nasty one I got rid of when I moved in) and I like to keep on the good side of them (they can be a bit mischevious at times - borrowing things for example) and as such I invite them into my rituals and leave them things (brandy at yule seems to be appreciated(if anyone starts thinking of a drunken Dobby, my appologies). In return when I leave home I 'raise' a shield around my house and I ask them to help protect it. Usually I feel the shield 'firm' up a bit at this point.

Kev

I can see why holly is protective, but why lavender?

I think lavender would be protective because of past use and association:

an insect repellant in Southern Europe (protective against malaria and infected bites),

laid between dry laundry to keep the moths etc out (protective),

tucked under pilows to aid sleep (banishing tension & insomnia).

Plus the general belief that bad vibes etc would be in the same place as bad smells, so nothing but good vibes etc could be in places which smell clean & pleasant.

I can see why holly is protective, but why lavender?

I think lavender would be protective because of past use and association:

an insect repellant in Southern Europe (protective against malaria and infected bites),

laid between dry laundry to keep the moths etc out (protective),

tucked under pilows to aid sleep (banishing tension & insomnia).

Plus the general belief that bad vibes etc would be in the same place as bad smells, so nothing but good vibes etc could be in places which smell clean & pleasant.

If things are protective because they're insecticides and for tension and insomnia relief then that's most of my essential oil kit, which numbers about 40 bottles atm.

Having looked up one of my books I would agree with you that Lavender essential oil could be used as protective, but because it's antiviral and a bactericide, but on those grounds you'd be better off using Tea-Tree which is anti-fungal as well.

However, the herb may not have these properties since some of chemical make-up can be enhanced under making the essential oil, and some can be lost. So I'm back to a variant of the original question I posed : why is the lavender herb protective?

Sorry, but I don't subscribe to this bad smells = bad vibes belief. To me the worst smell in the world is the smell of cooked eggs, or eggs cooking. Even cat pee smells better. To someone else it may be the best smell in the world.

I thought Effra summed it up quite nicely in the first line of the post "because of past use and association"

Sometimes the real reason why a herb or whatever began to be used for something may be lost in the mists of time - but its associations lend it power. I have always used it as a protective plant, as did my gran, so thats going back 90+ years. And I would guess she got the 'lore' from her mother.

Its like why is sandalwood traditionally used to help the spirits of the dead move on ? I dont know - does anyone else ?

But it doesnt matter - the association is there, it imbues the working with added oomph. If you would rather use tea tree then thats ok - but I would find its associations and connotations too 'astringent' for a protection. I would, and have, used it as part of a banishment, and for workings for healing however - as this seems more appropriate to me.

but moongazer, lol,

I need specifics!! WHY is lavendar protective, I can't go by, well its how its always been done ;)

It sounds great, bc, i wouldn't have to do anything , LOL, I'm awful with plants..

thinking of ivy.. as protective..

and lavendar, i do think as more love, soothing.. so can't see the polar opposite, as easy? :blink:

I stilll need something on my front patio, guys.. any other suggestions?

Warm sunny climate all yr round.. :P :D

Thanks!! :)

Whispered~

I think you are looking for an answer that maybe no one can give - specifically.

But if lavender doesnt sit well with you - and no one is saying it should do - try doing some research into suitable plants that will thrive in your climate that have protective qualities.

I wouldnt use ivy myself - I use that for bindings where someone is being protected.

And for love - lavender isnt 'quite' right - seeing as it was used historically by prostitutes - that changed the connotations of it my mind forever, on that score.

For 'peace' of an emotional nature, maybe - but then to my mind that comes under the heading of part of what is achieved with a protection. You dont have to use 'spikey' plants/herbs in protection - theres a bit more to it than just defense.

But I get the feeling that if something isnt blatently obvious for its traditional or recommended use, you will ask exactly the same question. So maybe its best if you use your own powers of research and intuition - the way witches have done for centuries.

You see, I can think of others - but would only be able to give you the same answer - they are associated with protection by tradition and common use.

Edited by Moongazer

But I get the feeling that if something isnt blatently obvious for its traditional or recommended use, you will ask exactly the same question.  So maybe its best if you use your own powers of research and intuition - the way witches have done for centuries.

Yes, if I don't understand why X is used for Y I will ask, rather than follow someone else's teachings blindly.

Brings me in mind of something I heard on the radio....

A psychologist was watching a woman preparing a ham for the oven. The woman cut off a quarter of the ham and threw it in the bin before putting the rest of it in the oven. The psychologist asked "why do you do that?" she replied "because my mother did it". He then went to her mother and asked her why she did it. Her mother replied "because my mother did it". So he went to the grandmother and asked her why she did it. The grandmother replied "because I couldn't fit it in the oven".

ATM I'm researching correspondances of essential oils. I have a filing card system and try and find which planet, sign, element, sabbat and gods are associated with each essential oil. It's difficult work, but if someone asked me the reason for those correspondances I would be happy and able to answer their question.

More importantly (to me), I find that if I understand why I'm using what I'm using it makes the spell work better.

I need specifics!! WHY is lavendar protective, I can't go by, well its how its always been done ;)

Whispered~

Oh ye gods, typing in green, you do know what people say about authors of letters written in green ink, don't you? :lol:

Here's a clue :D

You want specifics, you can have specifics. Lavender is protective, because I darn well say so, my subconscious agrees, and so it works for me. Plus it's easily available.

If that's not good enough for you, go and find something that is protective for you because you darn well say so and your subconscious agrees.

Correspondances lists etc are fine, but they tend to suit the person who compiled them. If a herb listed under one thing clashes with what it reminds you of, you need to think about what herbs etc do come under that thing. Only you can decide that.

Lol guys, you're right, I'll keep looking around, researching as usual :lol:

See, now the color green, I use because i see it as healing, and we're talking about plants! LOL

plus , I love color!! :D

OMG, you should see my house!!! lol

blessings and thanks

Whispered~ ;)

• 11 months later...
You want specifics, you can have specifics.  Lavender is protective, because I darn well say so, my subconscious agrees, and so it works for me.  Plus it's easily available.

13650[/snapback]

Effra, you just summed that up perfectly!

So we've got all these different layers of protection - personal protection, house protection etc. Has anyone ever worked protection on a larger scale - for your neighbourhood, town, county, country?

I was taught always to do a thorough cleansing of whatever it is you're protection before setting protections in place - and I do, because that makes sense to me. Don't want to set the shields up with the nasties trapped inside! So a basic house protection would begin with physical cleansing, followed by magical cleansing. At that point I then invite in the positive energies and spirits - the land and house wights, the warmth of friendship and the hearth, and kindle a fire in the fireplace (or light a candle if there's no fireplace). Then, and only then, do the protections go in place.

One thing we've not covered here (and apologies to anyone that read my rambling blog related to this) is why? Why put on personal protections, house protections etc? What makes you think they're needed?

I've put crystals in my flat to protect it from my letting agent. And I'm being serious here! It seems to have worked - he didn't come round for the last flat inspection but sent someone else :) Who was a lot nicer! :D

I don't know much about protection (yet) but I regard it as similar to locking my front door. Chances are that no one would try. But I'd hate to be wrong.

I do try and protect myself at night because I'm getting worn out by the vivid dreams I keep having. I don't know if it's having any effect - the dreams haven't gone away - but at least I know I'm trying.

I'm looking forward to learning more though, and it's great to have some of older threads revisited for the benefit of us newer bods.

:)

Although casting a circle is often thought of as a protection – its main function, in my opinion, is to create a sacred space.  That is - a space that is yours, not here in the mundane – nor in the world of spirit – but a neutral area where the two can meet.  It does protect you, but in my experience you should always invoke, or provide yourself with, a psychic protection.

This is because when you are doing a working the energy you raise, as well as your own energy, can act like a beacon in the ‘ether’.  This is a good thing – as you will want various energies / deities to be able to ‘find you’ – but it can also attract some unwanted ‘visitors’ – like gatecrashers at a party – that you didn’t invite and will be troublesome to get rid of.    And this is something that many of the books you can buy don’t tell you, but in my opinion – they should.

The universe isn’t all sweetness and light, and even if you have never considered it before – if you are serious about Paganism and serious about working magic – be assured it is a serious business – and you should consider this now.  Learn to walk before you can run.  And before I get accused of being a spoilsport – I am giving this first because it is important.  Paganism and magic are enjoyable, but the energies you are dealing with should never be taken lightly.  A little respect and caution goes a long way.

It is very easy to create a protective psychic barrier around you, and there are a few methods.  I will start with the basic ‘egg’.

Get yourself comfy and ‘be still’ within yourself.  Now visualise a silver ball of energy in your mid riff – or solar plexus area.  Think of it as being strong safe energy – feel it within you. You may experience a warmth in the area you visualise it to be.  When you have that firmly fixed, begin to visualise the egg expanding, passing through you to the outside of your body so it surrounds you – a shield of strong, shimmering, silvery energy.  Don’t take it too far out to begin with – just as far as it feels safe to do so.  Be aware of how you feel as it surrounds you.  When it is firmly in place, withdraw your mind from it but leave the shield in place.  This is your psychic protection.  It may take a little practice, but soon enough you will be able to just think ‘Shield !’ and it will be there.

There are other ways but this is a good, simple and effective one to start with.  And it can be adapted according to need.  You can use it at any time but certainly before you do any magical workings.

Adaptations

These comprise of two basic things – extending your shield, and maybe making it more ‘permanent’ – around a house, or a sleeping baby not in the room with you for instance, and adapting your personal shield for different situations.

The latter one is basically the addition of colour.  Making your shield violet will strengthen the protection in a spiritual way, useful if you ‘soak up’ negative energies from other people.  Making it blue is soothing and will allow you to ‘heal’ safely.  Making it golden is making it stronger in times of adversity.  And a very useful one for times when you don’t want your own energy to be hidden but you want to protect yourself – a job interview is a prime example – is visualise your shield as a golden grid – or mesh.  You can also add a ‘command’ for your shield to deflect or repel anything that might be purposefully aimed at you, giving it an active energy rather than a passive energy.

Some people like to use a ring of fire - visualising fire all around them.  Other people prefer 'armour' - visualising themselves wearing armour of some description.  It is down to the individual of course, but I feel the egg is a good one to begin with.

Extending your shield is something that comes with practice, and I would also suggest – experience – of working with energies. Leaving a shield in place around a house – while you sleep, or away requires you ‘pinning it down’ and tools can be utilised for this.  By tools I mean something physical which can be ‘charged’ with your intent and left in place. 

Crystals are good for this, as some – like haematite, or obsidian have naturally protective energies.  These can be placed above a door or window frame. It's a good idea to also have a 'key stone' (or maybe two or three) in a central point in the house.  This is because they will give a sense of 'structure' to the stones, rather than having the energy 'circling' the house - there is more of a frameworl and therefore strength to the arrangement.

There are also symbols you can use, ‘drawn’ onto a wall above a door or window, maybe using moon or sun blessed water.  If they are drawn with intent, they can hold it.  Although they should be re-done if you clean.

Salt is another good one – this can be sprinkled around your property, or placed under the carpet in the corners of a room, or under the door mat.  An old method of ridding yourself of someone or preventing them from ‘darkening your doorstep again’ was to sprinkle salt where they had been standing, and then sweep it out of the house, and to the boundary of your property.

Stone ornaments can also be ‘charged’ to protect, and of course certain plants like lavender and holly are said to be protective and can be planted, with intent, at the gates.  Once you have your visualisation off pat, and your objects in place, it is easy to renew or strengthen the protection whenever you need to or want to.

4866[/snapback]

Thankyou for that helpfull information, as a newbie i read so much and sometimes the the authors don't seem to go into the subject that deeply, you have made it easyer to understand.

thanks

• 6 years later...

Just goes to show the value of shared knowledge is timeless - some 7 years after being posted, this has really helped explain a few basic essentials to me smile.gif. I certainly feel more empowered & ready to begin my journey along this road.

Many Thanks x

I too have found this really interesting. Thanks for 'bumping' it up!

I don't know where I read the 'egg' many years ago but I still use this. Only the other day Jape suggested meditation and I carried this out at 1am to help me get to sleep soundly.

Strangely I have lavender by my front door too! I had no idea on th protective qualities but I know that years ago it was used as a border up the garden path.. perhaps that is why..

I also have crystals but will need to look at how they are placed. I have them above my fire and often in windows / near windows. Naturally this is where I place them but have nothing central in the house.

I have found this advice useful too, I have begun using the egg technique though still Im struggling with meditation itself I find this has given me confidence as I can do it.

I now have obsidian placed as suggested around the house too & I too have lavender which I planted by the front door without knowing why also!

• 3 months later...

I also have lavender and rosemary planted by my front door. I know that rosemary was supposed to prevent witches from being able to enter the house, but obviously that can't be right or else I would never be able to get in the door :) However, I think it helps to prevent negativity to enter the house. Of course, I also have a completely unprotected back door.... hmmm, will have to think of something to put there now that I have thought about that

• 3 weeks later...

Hi for the person experiencing bad dreams and wanting a bit of protection, my mum made me a small pouch of sea salt with a small pen knife in it and she buried it in my mattress obviously ensure the knife is locked and buried under the mattress to avoid accidents, I think a small flat knife may be better! She claims it prevents bad dreams and protects you whilst you sleep. This is a moroccan tradition.

I have rosemary in the front and I have lavender in the back

I regularly burn frankincense and Myrh and Gum Arabic together for cleansing the house

:)

Edited by sousyy

• 1 year later...

This has been a fantastic thing to read and so much of what I have been feeling is right here. I I suddenly feel like my thoughts and ideas suddenly 'belong' thank thank you so much :-)

• Like 1