Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

The Ethics Of Working For Ones Self. - as opposed to helping others.

Guest Silver wolf

OK if this dosen't make sense im sorry, i have been mulling over it for a wile, asked a few opinions but think its time to (hopefully) start a debate ad make a choice from there.

is it ok to do a working for yourself, for a want not a need?

I was always under the impression that you only do workings for something that is important and you need it. but over the last few weeks my opinion of this has changed, and if you want something then it is possibly ok to use magic for this, as long as no one is getting hurt or it isnt just for the sake of it.

does any of this make sence?

the main motivation for this thread, is because i intend to help along the decision for a house i really want, im not yet sure how i will go about it, but first i really wanted to get some opinions on wether its the right thing to do, or if we should leave things be when it's just something you want.

so.. should we only do workings for other people, or for what we need? or is it acceptable to do workings for what we want?

( scuse the spelling, my spellchecker is having a period)

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

There are no rules.

383931[/snapback]

and ethically, you could argue that we have an obligation to create conditions for ourselves from within which we can function as optimally as possible, if we are to be in a position to help others. Helper "types" (and I would consider myself one) often have a habit of putting others needs first. This is problematic and actually indicative of a submissive personality. To be an effective helper of others is to recognise that ones own needs need to be adequately met if one is to have enough left to give effectively. It is perfectly logical to look after oneself in order to be in a position to then be of help or use to others.

If you are familiar with the work of Abraham Maslow

maslows-hierarchy1.jpg

he proposed that we are motivated by a hierarchy of basic needs, and until the fundemental needs were adequately met, our motivation would not be directed to higher level needs. So we can be seen to need to take care of our own physiological and safety/security needs (at least) before we can be in a position to deal effectively with others.

I tend to adhere to the "need not greed" maxim, both for myself and others when doing any prosperity workings.

I've had experience of the gods having a strange and sometimes skewed sense of humour at times. For example, being particularly skint and worried about money and after doing a working, receiving an unexpected bonus at work: which then had to go on buying a new washing machine as mine broke unexpectedly and beyond repair just afterwards <_<

Now I just ask for what I need and anything else is a bonus.

Your circumstances, with the house and all, are different, because it's not so much you asking because you want to live in a nice house (though we all want that) but you live in an area at the moment where it's potentially unsafe and really not great to bring kids up in, so you want a better environment for your family. That, to me, is an entirely reasonable request and would fall into the "need" category.

Thank you for your opinions.

im still undecided on what to do, or even how to do it but it will be interesting to see what others think on this topic aswel, not just me doing it for the house, but in general.

It's far more ethical to work for yourself than wait for somebody else to help you - therefore it's far more ethical to do a working yourself rather than wait for the rest of the universe to change.

M.

I have had this dilema. I find it difficult to distinguish between want and need. If I need something, obviously I want it.

I have been asking the Goddess for something in the last couple of days, to send healing for my horse. In a way, I need this to happen because not only is it something bad happening to the horse but it is making me feel bad, and I don't want to feel like this. Double whammy!

I think the way I look at it is, if your need is not selfish or harmful, then ask as long as you thank your chosen deity for their help.

Hedgewitch

Even Jesus said 'love they neighbour as thyself'.

My own take is, you can't be as good at helping others until you've sorted your own issues out.

If this is phrased badly, forgive me - I 'hab a code' and I am not thinking quite as clearly as usual.

Even Jesus said 'love they neighbour as thyself'.

384368[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I'm obviously missing something, but I'm not sure what Jesus has to do with the ethics of spellcasting?

To answer the original question, I think it's a matter of balance. There seems to be a mechanism for balance in the world. Now you may agree and ascribe a self-conscious judge to teh mechansim (the three fold law, for example) or not (wyrd, for example), but I, as someone who believes in wyrd, would say a certain amount of energy is required to work against oneself and one's luck to change those things in one's favour. How far it's possible depends, as always, on one's own ability and wyrd.

Beyond that, I don't think any form of morality or ethics comes into it, apart from whatever you want to import into the situation. :o_claps:

It depends on you, as an individual. Personally, I don't believe in the three-fold law, and am very much for 'if I want it, I'll ask for some help'. However, because of my individual morality, I don't go around every second asking for everything I want - but I don't believe there is any 'rule' disallowing that.

It's very much something only you can decide, and how comfortable you are with it. :o_claps: