Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Psychopomps - safe passage to the otherworld...

Guest fizzyclare1

I was looking into the idea of psychopomps (an angel, spirit, deity who's role is to ensure safe passage to the 'otherworld', the world of the dead, the afterlife etc.

here's a wiki link to some ideas surrounding this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopomp

has anyone felt a psychopomps presence? anybody had any experiences with this? does it only ever happen at the point of no return (i.e. death) or is it possible during an altered state/trance?

or not at all possible to know death? (until it actually happens). have you 'met' with a psychopomp in another context?

personally, I have no clue. all thoughts welcome.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I was looking into the idea of psychopomps (an angel, spirit, deity who's role is to ensure safe passage to the 'otherworld', the world of the dead, the afterlife etc.

here's a wiki link to some ideas surrounding this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopomp

has anyone felt a psychopomps presence? anybody had any experiences with this? does it only ever happen at the point of no return (i.e. death) or is it possible during an altered state/trance?

or not at all possible to know death? (until it actually happens).  have you 'met' with a psychopomp in another context?

personally, I have no clue. all thoughts welcome.

387176[/snapback]

Whether it be wishful thinking or not, my experience of my grandmother dying was that my grandfather was suddenly there waiting for her

I suspect that a psychopomp can be a sign or guide for any major transitional state, not just dying. I do experience a presence at major transitions in my life which I suspect, hope will be there when my heart stops beating... if one was to be picky about words I suppose that being a support and guide is not enough to make one a psychopomp, but this presence, when the time is right, will *act* as a psychopomp

Oooh this topic is a goodie and something I've actually had quite a bit of experience in but it's all pretty much UPG.

I used to work for a Catholic charity that cared for people with learning disabilities and mental illness. It was an aging population and where I worked was an entire community in the middle of nowhere that was solely for the clients of this charity. The first time it happened, I'd been taking some paperwork from the building where I worked to the registered nurse and it felt like something was stalking me from the tree line. It was predatory as hell and I could see it's shifting form moving through the trees. I didn't think anything of it other than the fact that the place where I worked was old and had seen lots of abuse in the past and so it wouldn't be surprising if there was stuff knocking about. On my way back, I felt it again and the feeling grew. The next day, we got a notice through of a death on site.

The next time this happened, things were a little more 'defined', I was sitting in the kitchen with some other staff members and we were all chatting and drinking tea. I saw this 'shadow man' stalk past the window as if he was really impatient in the direction of another building. No one else had seen him(I'd asked who that was that'd gone past the window but they hadn't seen a thing) but there was that same sense of predation in it and I just knew it was the same thing I'd seen moving in the tree line.

About half another later, another member of staff came running into our kitchen saying that one of their clients had passed and noone had noticed until about ten minutes previous. She had been working in the building where I'd seen the shadow man go off to. The rest of the afternoon was spent watching the coroner's mob turn up and the chap being carried out.

After that, I associated that feeling and especially seeing him with an impending death. It seemed the closer I'd seen him, the sooner the death was going to be. Other members of staff said they could tell because of certain smells, the smell of a certain flower (can't remember which) was quite common and others that have worked in nursing the elderly that I've spoken to have said they also have their 'tells' that someone is going to pass.

A few years after leaving that place, I got a 'tell' of a different kind. I had a dream about one of my old clients (which I wrote about here: http://crazygirlyheathen.blogspot.com/2008...i-eer-well.html) and the next day my mother told me she'd passed.

That dream was like I was seeing a different side to that guy, more like what the dying sees as opposed to the living.

the smell of  a certain flower (can't remember which) was quite common

387346[/snapback]

I have a friend from Singapore who says that the smell of frangipani is usually associated with death in Asia.

I've had some encounters with what I have usually identified as a personification of death, but in my case she was always seductive rather than predatory. I'm linking to a blog post I made when my mother was dying to try to explain what I mean because I'm not up to writing it out right now.

http://absentmindedcan.livejournal.com/1219.html

unsung

a heartfelt tribute, birka, and your comments are very interesting, am a bit busy atm but will come back yours and others comments. very thought provoking.

the smell of  a certain flower (can't remember which) was quite common

387346[/snapback]

I have a friend from Singapore who says that the smell of frangipani is usually associated with death in Asia.

I've had some encounters with what I have usually identified as a personification of death, but in my case she was always seductive rather than predatory. I'm linking to a blog post I made when my mother was dying to try to explain what I mean because I'm not up to writing it out right now.

http://absentmindedcan.livejournal.com/1219.html

unsung

387351[/snapback]

That's interesting about the frangipani. I haven't a clue what that smells like but that really is interesting that other cultures associate a scent with death.

That is a lovely tribute, and I can certainly see that perception of death-who-comes-when-needed.

unsung

387358[/snapback]

I read your link and it was interesting. The time when I almost died was very very different in that I had no psychopomp experience other than a voice saying 'like fuck you're going like this'. It was a hell of a sense of peace though up until that point. Thank you for sharing that. I know the look you're talking about in those who are soon to die.

I recall being present at my grandma's death. It was in my room, in my bed, I was fourteen (ish - maybe a bit older). It was a strange experience for me, being so young it was the first time i saw a human die (thankfully It was peaceful). Given my age at the time and the stress that it caused for me, I will be honest and say it left me with a sense of bewilderment, shock and stunnedness. although I was glad I wass there.

I recall something like a faint grey light, almost like a fog, it was small in size and from where I was sitting it looked to be to the left side of her stomach near her left arm.

to this day i do not know what it was, I could speculate that I may have witnessed her soul leaving her body, or maybe it was just the trauma of seeing a loved one die combined with lack of immaturity.

The thing is prior to that, I also witnessed two ghosts (or ghost like figures) one was an airman and the other an old woman. neither were threatening but obviously it was scary, I was alone you see.

I do not know whether these two things/events are linked or not cos they occurred a distance in time apart. perhaps theyarent linked because of the time lapse, either way that 'fog' (it was faint) has intrigued me for many years.

I recall being present at my grandma's death.  It was in my room, in my bed, I was fourteen (ish - maybe a bit older).  It was a strange experience for me, being so young it was the first time i saw a human die (thankfully It was peaceful).  Given my age at the time and the stress that it caused for me, I will be honest and say it left me with a sense of bewilderment, shock and stunnedness.  although I was glad I wass there.

I recall something like a faint grey light, almost like a fog, it was small in size and from where I was sitting it looked to be to the left side of her stomach near her left arm.

to this day i do not know what it was, I could speculate that I may have witnessed her soul leaving her body, or maybe it was just the trauma of seeing a loved one die combined with lack of immaturity.

The thing is prior to that, I also witnessed two ghosts (or ghost like figures) one was an airman and the other an old woman.  neither were threatening but obviously it was scary, I was alone you see.

I do not know whether these two things/events are linked or not cos they occurred a distance in time apart.  perhaps theyarent linked because of the time lapse, either way that 'fog' (it was faint) has intrigued me for many years.

387458[/snapback]

This reminds me of a story an ex-coroner's assistant told me once. He and his partner had been called to pick up a body from an apartment building and when they got there, the police were standing outside. They wouldn't go in. So, being used to working with the dead, this guy and his parter went in there only to see why the police didn't want to go in. In the room, above the bed was this kind of fog/light thing that was floating above the body still. It'd been there the whole time. Carefully, he and his partner moved the body from under it, put it in the bag and onto the gurney and wheeled it out. He doesn't know what happened to the fog after that, he just got on with his job and got out.