Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Small Space To Focus - is this acceptable?

Guest Jasmin

Hi, I'm new around here

If anyone can help with this I would really appreciate it. I would like to create a small sacred space / altar, to help me focus at the beginning of my path. My hubby is totally cool with this, but I don't want to create anything permanant as certain people who visit my house would either;

1) Ask to many questions that I don't feel ready to answer yet.

2) Probably be really negative towards me.

Is it disrespectful to have a temporary space that can be set up when I want to focus but packed away safely when afore mentioned people come round to see me?

Also, can such a space be generalised before I have chosen any specific path, I wouldn't want to make anything that would be innappropriate.

Cheers for any advice, Jasmin :rolleyes:

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Hi, I'm new around here

If anyone can help with this I would really appreciate it. I would like to create a small sacred space / altar, to help me focus at the beginning of my path. My hubby is totally cool with this, but I don't want to create anything permanant as certain people who visit my house would either;

Is it disrespectful to have a temporary space that can be set up when I want to focus but packed away safely when afore mentioned people come round to see me?

Also, can such a space be generalised before I have chosen any specific path, I wouldn't want to make anything that would be innappropriate.

Cheers for any advice, Jasmin  :rolleyes:

394096[/snapback]

Hi,

I can not see any reason for you not having a temporary altar/sacred space, some use their powers of visualisation only and rely on nothing external.

If you have no particular path/trad use whatever you want!

Good luck.

MM :)

Edited by muddymick

there's absolutely nothing wrong either either idea, hun.

Many travelling peoples - such as many modern day Mongolians - have to have folding altars. And it's always a question of having things on your altar that say something to you.

I have some images of gods on my altars, but mostly I dislike the only images I've found, so I use others things to represent the gods I want to recognise on my altart. And I have things that means something to me - such as the feather of a barn owl - which have to religious significance in terms of being associated with my religions or gods. :rolleyes:

The true altar is and always will be in your head. The physical altar is a focus ....... that is all. People make altars in many different ways. And who would it be disrespectful to? A god or goddess would be mighty petty to worry about such things. Do what you want and make it your own.

Mike

Hi, I'm new around here

Cheers for any advice, Jasmin  :rolleyes:

394096[/snapback]

............... or an alter cloth painted. dyed or even with things pinned to it. Fits in a drawer or a briefcase.

As MM says - I would sit still for a few minutes each day and create an image in my head until I could recall my alter without thinking - so that I could also visualise what I was doing with it.

I have an entire temple complete with its environment inside my head. There are rivers, crops, power supplies - it is a very comfortable temple without a pillar in sight!

Do what you want to do. THERE IS NO WRONG You know more about your spirituality than anyone on earth however well read they may appear.

Cheers Moonsmith,

I was thinking of making my own items to decorate the space with, and using the time I spend making them to have a really good think about what direction I'm heading in.

This forum is great :rolleyes: :)

Cheers Moonsmith,

I was thinking of making my own items to decorate the space with, and using the time I spend making them to have a really good think about what direction I'm heading in.

This forum is great :rolleyes:  :)

394117[/snapback]

As so many of us have said so often - take your time. There is no one truth. Your's will find you and when it does it will fit perfectly. The trick is not to buy the prettiest or the seemingly most profound one in the shop until you've lived with it.

You have a truth - wait for it and then go for it!

Go well and go happy.

Pat.

Don't know how handy you are Jasmin, but have you thought of making your altar cloth with zips down both sides so can you zip it into a bag and keep all your altar stuff in it when not in use?

I dont know much about what you would be typical to make an alter. But I do know that it can be personal to you and you can have pretty much whatever you want.

You could buy one of those nice leather boxes from a supermarket. About the size of a shoe box. In it you could keep everything you might want, herbs, candles, bowls, incense, oils pictures etc and use the box as your alter. Then you can pack everything away when you want it out the way.

You could also get a nice box with a hinged lid and keep your 'altar' in there. All you need do is open the lid when you want it to be visible.

Mind you, you could also make your entire home into your altar. There is no reason why you cant have your things in every room, for a different focus at different times of the year. Bringing everything together on a single shelf or worktop is inviting visitors to notice and comment. Spreading things out takes away the emphasis.

there's absolutely nothing wrong either either idea, hun.

Many travelling peoples - such as many modern day Mongolians - have to have folding altars. And it's always a question of having things on your altar that say something to you.

I'm a cross stitcher (as well as knitter) and our altar does, quite literally, fold up for the most part :lol:.

Don't know how handy you are Jasmin, but have you thought of making your altar cloth with zips down both sides so can you zip it into a bag and keep all your altar stuff in it when not in use?

394155[/snapback]

reading this I've just had one of those *slaps head and wonders why I've never thought of that* moments...... :D

Jasmin, as many have said already there is no wrong way to do these things. :)