Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Wotan's Knot

Guest buggirl

Hi Folks,

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong place on the forum or the question has been aksed before, but i hve tried the search facility and cant find anything on this.

What I want to know is, can women wear the wotan's knot and what does it actually mean to wear it as there are mixed stories.

Many thanks

Vickie :lol:

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

What I want to know is, can women wear the wotan's knot and what does it actually mean to wear it as there are mixed stories.

I'm guessing you mean the Valknut? i.e. three interlocking triangles? Honestly, nobody has a clue what the valknut means - there's plenty of fantasists modern Asatru who claim it's the knot of the slain, worn by those for whom Odin is a patron & awaiting them in Valhalla yadda yadda yadda

All we know is that it occasionally appears on pictures of Odin or by people presumably being sacrificed to Odin. We don't know anything else! Some people joke that it's an "insert spear here" symbol :lol:

Can women wear the Valknut? Sure. To me it suggests you're a modern Asatru with a particular connection to Odin or a Pagan playing mix and match with symbols that don't really mean anything OR you think it looks like a nice symbol.

Personally I think the last reason is the best reason to wear one - it does look kinda cool. I just wish I knew what it meant. If you do wear one though - don't be surprised if some heathens regard you as fluffy. That could easily be their problem and not yours.

(edited to add - I suppose a lot of "Odinists" wear a Valknut too. I don't but then I don't like a lot of other Odinists either :) )

Marcus

Edited by Marcus

I've heard other heathens online claim it is a symbol along the lines of the 'insert spear here'. Sometimes they were joking, sometimes not.

However, I've not read any actual historical sources give any kind of suggestion for what it might mean.

It does look really cool. It would make a great tattoo (when I can afford one again) but other than its connection with Odin, I have no idea what it means.

And I see no reason why women should be any less able to wear it than men.

I've heard other heathens online claim it is a symbol along the lines of the 'insert spear here'.  Sometimes they were joking, sometimes not.

However, I've not read any actual historical sources give any kind of suggestion for what it might mean.

It does look really cool.  It would make a great tattoo (when I can afford one again) but other than its connection with Odin, I have no idea what it means.

And I see no reason why women should be any less able to wear it than men.

401979[/snapback]

Thanks guys, really useful!

I will start wearing it i think.

Vic :)

There is a valknut carved into the bed found on the Osberg ship burial. It is believed the burial was of a woman, possibly a Queen, so there is a precedent.

• 2 weeks later...
There is a valknut carved into the bed found on the Osberg ship burial.  It is believed the burial was of a woman, possibly a Queen, so there is a precedent.

402046[/snapback]

Thanks for that info much appreciated

there will be others more able to answer this but i did read that to wear it was to dedicate yourself completely to Odin, along with the insert spear here connotations. you give yourself completely to the will and whim of Odin. Theres a heathen site, where the founder wears one and his son wanted to wear one (or daughter, cant remember) and he wouldn't allow it until they fully understood the connotations behind it.

This is all on internet readings, not on personal experience. As I said, im hoping someone will be able to shed a bit more light on the subject as it is quite interesting. Seen many people either tattooed or wearing the valknut, but as with other things, i'm not sure if they recognise the meaning behind it. *thinks about the millions of goff kids wearing pentacles and such*

edited to add- there would be no reason for a woman not to wear one methinks, if it is a show of your dedication to Odin as i assume.

Edited by Sigridr

• 4 months later...

Late post but, as far as I know from what little the Priests would tell us of the "EVIL MEN WITH BIG SWORDS AND AXES COMING TO KILL GOOD GOD FEARING PEOPLES" (they never did learn to breath) the Valknut represents a binding between three worlds: Asgard, Mitgard, Niflhejm. Sometimes they say, as others have said it makes you Wodan's biatsch for all eternity so that when you die, the Valkyre know who you are... And I have heard that it is used specifically for those who would not die "with a sword in their hand" but were entitled to Valhöll regardless.

Personally, as with most symbollism, I believe it means what you want it to believe. Some things I will never dispute the meaning of, like Mjöllnir being Donnar's "wakey wakey" Hammer to make children wet the bed, but other things... Perhaps I would argue with. Especially the "Insert Spear Here" thing because Norsemen weren't suicidal, they were tactical and would fight only if they had to, or if they had the advantage. "A good death serves no purpose if it loses all you care for" and "What good is to die if you don't get famous?" but there you go.