Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Experiences Not In The Physical.. - Do you doubt their validility?

Guest Athymari

I know I do!

How about other people?

I often find when I journey, things I see are so hazy in my mind or images against my eye lids that I can not tell if it is a real journey or my imagination showing me things.

I am awake during this and I can feel my body, hear things around me, I am just very relaxed.

Did it actually happen?

How do people here cope with this?

Personally, I acknowledge that I saw it, note it in my journal and I am open to the idea it may have been really, but I still doubt. I do not want to mislead myself with delusions of my imagination as I believe this will do more harm. Yet, I do not wish to total blank out what I see. I do not believe in 'blind faith' 'just have faith'. I find this, especially with something you have not experiance before is a dangerous thing!

Athymari.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I've been here before. Everything has been so real when things have been happening but then the next day, I'm questioning my sanity.

I sometimes think the time when we really have to worry is when we stop questioning sanity.

Yes, all the time. For me it all comes down to what I believe is more likely, that there are beings that exist outside of the purely physical and that I have occasionally experienced them, or that I have experienced short sudden periods of insanity that all have a common theme and are triggered by a particular set of circumstances that I have intentionally initiated to produce an outcome which is pretty much exactly what my insanity has created? I come down in favour of the first option, but it doesn't stop me constantly questioning that conclusion.

I think most people have had an experience outside the physical, or something happen that they just cant explain. Ive had a few experiences myself that ive looked back on and thought "what the @#*!...."

I think the thing to do is like others have said is to not stop questioning these things. Sometimes reflection shows you what it more than likely was or wasnt if that makes sense.

Insanity is a little to strong a word ^^

I have been visualizing for years and have a very active imagination, and its hard tell what might a mediation/vision from a half asleep dream. When you are relaxing your mind churns up all sorts to keep it active.

This is what I am refering to.

I do not question my sanity!

I can only speak from my own point of view and for me these experiences have happened while I was wide awake so dream states, meditations, et al. aren't factors.

it comes from practice - from experience. It isn't an overnight thing, to tell the difference - it takes time. :)

Insanity is a little to strong a word ^^

I have been visualizing for years and have a very active imagination, and its hard tell what might a mediation/vision from a half asleep dream. When you are relaxing your mind churns up all sorts to keep it active.

This is what I am refering to.

I do not question my sanity!

412498[/snapback]

Try to just see it as your own exploration into your own thoughts and feelings. There are some posts on here refering to lucid dreaming, and hypnogia, might not be the same thing but you wouldn't experience these things if you didn't have an open and inquisitive mind, unless anything you visualise anything that really peturbs you try not to worry. I have been having bizarre half sleep/half awake visions for years and years and never come to any harm,

take care, J

Even if I were to doubt their reality ei. I don't think one journeys anywhere......... I would be reluctant to doubt their validity. To me such "journeyings" are about unlocking things that are already in one's mind..... a bit like divination as I see it. During such exercises I don't believe one is seeing the future or travelling through spirit worlds or the astral (whatever that means), but through the far more interesting regions of one's own mind.

Mike

I know I do!

How about other people?

I often find when I journey, things I see are so hazy in my mind or images against my eye lids that I can not tell if it is a real journey or my imagination showing me things.

I am awake during this and I can feel my body, hear things around me, I am just very relaxed.

Did it actually happen?

How do people here cope with this?

Personally, I acknowledge that I saw it, note it in my journal and I am open to the idea it may have been really, but I still doubt. I do not want to mislead myself with delusions of my imagination as I believe this will do more harm. Yet, I do not wish to total blank out what I see. I do not believe in 'blind faith' 'just have faith'. I find this, especially with something you have not experiance before is a dangerous thing!

Athymari.

412464[/snapback]

I just take it all on board as part of my perception of life. I doubt there are entities beyond the physical but then our definition/perception of the physical might be limited or maybe it is all imagination. For me this is less important than the experience.

I am sufficiently confident in my beliefs and cultural code not to let these things place me or mine at risk. Take the experience and distill the learning.

I do lucid dream alot and I understand what you are saying Fortuna. I beleive my journeys are internal also.

I guess keep going but always have a wary eye open.

I have yet to fall into a trance. If I did i should think the reality of them would be more obvious.

it comes from practice - from experience. It isn't an overnight thing, to tell the difference - it takes time. ;)

412510[/snapback]

The truthiest :) Subtle perceptual nuances, discrimination of which is not a quick or always an easy thing to learn

I have similar thoughts all the time. The thing that usually quiets the internal dispute is that I wouldn't really want to have anything to do with any kind of entity that required me to ignore all my previous knowledge and instincts and simply believe without question based on my having gone a bit doolally now and then.

I have taken to heart something Birka self-quoted in response to one of my blog posts. Paraphrasing, so long as acting as though these experiences are of divine (or whatever) origin doesn't harm anyone (including yourself) then, fill your boots! ;)

That is what I am doing now, and I have yet to change my name to Parsley and learn to play the pan-pipes *nor* have I started running around the local woodland, b@@@@@k naked, as I had originally feared.... (j/k).

It's often not easy to tell the difference and it takes time and a lot of practice. Reflect on your experiences and question them. BTW it won't necessarily be easier to tell the difference if you're in a trance. It might, but it might not, I still sometimes have WTF moments when I come out of trance.

It's often not easy to tell the difference and it takes time and a lot of practice.  Reflect on your experiences and question them.  BTW it won't necessarily be easier to tell the difference if you're in a trance.  It might, but it might not, I still sometimes have WTF moments when I come out of trance.

412730[/snapback]

I am been looking into all things metaphysical and mediation etc for about 10 years now but I have never had anything definite to work with.

I think if I think them through I should be able to tell if they came from my mind or not to a certain degree.

• 2 weeks later...

All 'thought' is not in the material world so it would and perhaps should be open to question or how would we learn anything?

I have frequently doubted things in the physical world because my perception of it might be wrong.

IMO, it would be dangerous *not* to doubt and question our experiences or we would be open to any tricks of consciousness and perception and be easily led astray. Perhaps that's just because I tend to be in a high state of vigilance most of the time and have also been in situations where stopping and questioning a perception can save your life. I suppose I would say of myself ( but this is just me) that doubt and surety must be equally balanced before action when interpreting one's internal or external realities.

Herchair

• 3 months later...

I think it's healthy to keep a little doubt in the back of your mind; if you accepted everything at face value you'd be awfully easy to scam. There's no value in blind faith. Few deities demand it, few spirits. Investigate and probe so you can be sure within yourself what is what - so that you are not bitterly disappointed if you mistake a dream for a journey, misunderstand an image. That's how I see it.

Edited by Erynn

• 2 weeks later...

What Moonhunter said - and I will add between my wife and I we do the same work - then compare noted afterwards - niether influencing the other until we are both done.

It has proven particularly useful and had validated a great deal of the work to come across the same road signs etc.

I have encountered entities on the astral in the past & once in particular come across some human looking guy standing on the primordial mound who advised me to "Save the Water". Unless he was giving me a drought warning :lol: , to this day I still hnaven't found any meaning. Although I am confident one day I will.

I have encountered entities on the astral in the past & once in particular come across some human looking guy standing on the primordial mound who advised me to "Save the Water". Unless he was giving me a drought warning :lol: , to this day I still hnaven't found any meaning. Although I am confident one day I will.

Ground water is running out all over the world because of overuse and the financial goldmine that is bottled water. Especially the latter.

• 1 month later...

I've been trawling through some old threads to get back in touch and so my interest at UKP isn't just me.

I loved this response but the interpretation is easy. he was a leprechaun and was waiting for his single malt irish, then the comment comes into direct context.

My own 'travels' are rare but have included a sword fight with a black wizard which is not what i believe in at all but I was told the next day what it was about, i held up and distracted a nasty bugger while his ex pupils stitched him up - so symbolic but apparent and effective.

However i have also had times when what i perceived was the future as it would come to pass, in almost all the details and certainly only from another viewpoint (physical). Almost but not quite a direct correlation to mundane reality as it unfolded.

another time it was just like looking down from some-ones ceiling, i described all the furnishings to them, their actions, actions an description of another person there i knew nothing of, colours, clothes. One on one exact replica. Strangely, I lost view/hold of it when i looked into a mirror in the room accidentally.

so all are possible in my experience

have also had various people I know over the years visit me, seen and felt them and sometimes they too have recorded it at the time. The weird bit there is sometimes they are in a different body. so thus my own decision is that any semblance of conformity to mundane reality is accidental!

however, the meaning, interpretation may be absolutely valid or nonsense, sometimes i've had some amazing events which turned out to be nothing to do with me!

we aren't always the centre of the universe I suppose, even that is just a viewpoint we hold, sometimes too hard I find..

I've been trawling through some old threads to get back in touch and so my interest at UKP isn't just me.

I loved this response but the interpretation is easy. he was a leprechaun and was waiting for his single malt irish, then the comment comes into direct context.

My own 'travels' are rare but have included a sword fight with a black wizard which is not what i believe in at all but I was told the next day what it was about, i held up and distracted a nasty bugger while his ex pupils stitched him up - so symbolic but apparent and effective.

However i have also had times when what i perceived was the future as it would come to pass, in almost all the details and certainly only from another viewpoint (physical). Almost but not quite a direct correlation to mundane reality as it unfolded.

another time it was just like looking down from some-ones ceiling, i described all the furnishings to them, their actions, actions an description of another person there i knew nothing of, colours, clothes. One on one exact replica. Strangely, I lost view/hold of it when i looked into a mirror in the room accidentally.

so all are possible in my experience

have also had various people I know over the years visit me, seen and felt them and sometimes they too have recorded it at the time. The weird bit there is sometimes they are in a different body. so thus my own decision is that any semblance of conformity to mundane reality is accidental!

however, the meaning, interpretation may be absolutely valid or nonsense, sometimes i've had some amazing events which turned out to be nothing to do with me!

we aren't always the centre of the universe I suppose, even that is just a viewpoint we hold, sometimes too hard I find..

Thanks you have solved something that perplexed me for years