Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Beltane

Guest buggirl

Hi Folks,

What are you all doing for Beltane. I have been reading up on this, but just, as always wanted to get a feel for the stuff you guys do.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I'll be celebrating with friends - there will be feasting and drinking, a maypole, the battle between Winter and Summer, and jumping over the bonfire :)

Of all the festivals I do not do Beltane well. I find it depressing but that's just me. However I shall be helping to officiate at ritual and feast. We will have a new cut maypole, walk the two fires and after the ritual we'll be having an eisteddfod, storytelling and campfire. The may's been out for a couple of days now, clouts cast all over the place. Have a great time all.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Interesting yet lonely time for Beltane ! I had arrange to meet a number of local pagans at a teesside landmarc to whatch the rise of the sun needless to say I was the only person who turned up :angry: Tho walking to the site dressed in my robe and walking with my staff not a sole around at 3:30am tho a police car did stop me to ask what I was doing (tho when I said it was beltane a pagan festival they quickly let me go) Saddly I didn't get too many pics but the morning sun rising as red in the sky then slowly turning orange was breath taking.

Blessed Be to all.

• 8 years later...

This year our Druid Grove will be holding a ritual to celebrate Beltane. We'll be all starting and finishing at the same time in our separate locations. Remote celebrations are something that we have had some practise at but now but with Coronavirus measures are enforced of course.

I always feel this time to be a time of expansion and growth. Days up here have, it seems, suddenly extended themselves to late evening. Planted crops are visible from a distance now and some of the seasonal visitors like the Wheatear are back from their journey south to Africa.

The child born to our Great Goddess is coming of age.

Hail and well met! 😁

Being solo, I'll probably head out to my local park, normally deserted at sunrise, or maybe push on to the beach. I may take some wine or mead and cake with me instead of my usual fortifying tea in vacuum cup and biccies. Over recent years, my observance of the sabbats, apart from Beltane and Samhain has been very informal, but this year it feels more important than ever to make the effort. 

• Like 1

Another solitary here 🙂 I haven't got my plans set in stone yet... I'm feeling a lot more self-aware at the moment - just have to see if I have a spark of inspiration 😄

Sadly, I doubt any of the well-dressing events nearby will be going ahead during this time - but I'd rather people be safe.

Happy Beltane! We can’t go outside so we are staying in and taking photos of our newly arrived Green Man playing cards with some fresh flowers (they’re a little bit behind bloom here as it’s still quite chilly)

It seems quite fitting for the day we can spend a little time with the Green Man even if it’s not as we’d planned.

9815073F-193F-4E19-B95D-862F8EB9D0B0.jpe

• Like 2

So people - what did you all actually do? 🙂 We are now in our 70s and supposed to be extra vulnerable - we don't feel like that but we are obeying the rules, staying at home, only going out to get food and then with masks!  For Beltane, we would usually meet up with our coven members ( who live in various parts of England and may no more travel than can we) we lit candles and the chiminea and paid silent homage to the gods with whom we are in contact. Some of our members are averse to conference calling on the internet, but we did speak to those we could who did similar things. I do not think it is essential to "do" something, outside of our own acknowledgement of the turning of the wheel of the year. We appreciate nature all the time - as it births and blossoms to harvest, autumn and winter. It is always special to join with others in celebration and that time will come again .. these unpleasant restrictions will pass but Nature goes on regardless - and in the cleaner air, thrives! 

I went out to light the fire but it still isn't Beltane here.  The May is half out and half in bud.  The holly won't be long - a week, maybe ten days to Beltane in midlands.

(I'm not back, I'm shouting.  Also I am delighted to see you here Maeve)

• Like 1

Coordinated our ritual with the rest of the grove by using WhatsApp messages. Dragged a large stone across to the site if the stone circle-to-be, lined up the latest post to go in with Beltane sunrise . Enjoyed a picnic in the lea of a pallet fence beside our cabbages entertained by the bird calls. As sunset approached wandered and looked at the Rowan, blackthorn, hazel and hawthorn that are growing on the croft.  

As I do not, generally, take much notice of the calendar, I did nothing Beltane related.  Much the same as last year.  Probably the same as next year.