Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

SpellBase
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: SpellBase
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ailis

What's Black And Red And See Through All Over? - Can anyone identify my childhood guardian?

Guest Ailis

In my early teens I remember seeing a 'creature' (for want of a better term) sitting at the end of my bed, on more than one occasion.

He ( I use the term loosely, but I always felt that he was a he) always sat side on to me with his human like legs curled up to his chest and his human like arms wrapped around them.

He had a tail. A long one which reminds me of that depicted on the rear end of the dragon on the welsh flag.

He head was that of a canine.

He was slim of build with well defined muscles.

He had burning red eyes

His complexion, if you could say he had one was of a peculiar nature. He was both red and black at the same time and, apart from his striking eyes, completely transparent.

And last but not least I always felt that he was not only kind but he was my guardian, though never had any particular confirmation of such.

By the time I reached the grand old age of 14 or 15 I stopped seeing him, however, when I was 16 I had a friend stay over. Half way through the night they shot up out of bed, dressed and left due to the glaring pair of red eyes they saw staring right at them and the air of unease they felt about such a vision.

Does any one know what kind of creature he could have been? I have no fear of him because, as I said, he always felt friendly to me, but I would love to know who he really was, what he was really doing watching over me at night and if their is anyway I could contact him (if at all advisable)

Ad from Google

Guest Ailis

I'm fairly certain it wasn't an Incubus, I hope It wasn't! He did seem too friendly.

An Imp doesn't seem to quite fit right but it's a suggestion I'll keep in mind

I have thought of Anubis in his role of patron of lost souls and orphans, and I was very much a lost soul at that time in my life, but I have seen no representation of Anubis with that dragon like tail

I've looked at other cynocephalic beings. Many have course fur, wings or the legs of a horse and although some have a tail none have the right tail.

It has been suggested to me that this being could be a fylgja of Norse Mythology, a supernatural being or creature which accompanies a person in connection to their fate or fortune. Usually appearing in the form of an animal and commonly appearing during sleep, but the sagas relate that they could appear while a person is awake as well, and that seeing one's fylgja is an omen of one's impending death! However, I didn't die!

I am considering the possibility that this is some kind of Persian Spirit, as the ancient ancestors in my maternal family tree originate from Iran.

Guest Ailis

I have done some soul searching and a bit more research and I have come to realise that He is a male baboon and he is my totem animal. I can't explain why I don't see him with fur yet but I now understand why he was sitting with his knees to his chest, that is how baboons sit! The Romans and eurpoeans of the medieval period thought baboons were human/canine hybrids (cynocephalic beings) so I understand my mistake and his dragon like tail i.e slim with an almost arrow like end is quite what a baboons tail is like. Thank you for your suggestions they helped me think x

Guest jape

I was going to suggest Thoth!

Dog-headed, baboon-bodied God for the Ancient Egyptians. often painted in red and black. Very powerful stuff, a very prominent deity and also concerned with magick. Have a look at the Thoth tarot of Crowley and see if it resonates with you. I came to this thread late, sorry.

Thats very cool when you get such a realisation. A baboon! To my mind it is immediately associated with very primitive, liminal living groups like I always wanted to be in myself, wandering and grubbing about and eating fruit and slugs and seashells, fighting and screwing when necessary (or possible) and hooning around.

But think deeper maybe, baboons would also have a god or deity associated, god of the baboons. Babi. Do your own research and see what clicks.

The sitting pose is also what many gargoyles do so it could still be such. Nothing wrong with imps and daemons btw.

Guest Ailis

I was going to suggest Thoth!

Dog-headed, baboon-bodied God for the Ancient Egyptians. often painted in red and black. Very powerful stuff, a very prominent deity and also concerned with magick. Have a look at the Thoth tarot of Crowley and see if it resonates with you. I came to this thread late, sorry.

Thats very cool when you get such a realisation. A baboon! To my mind it is immediately associated with very primitive, liminal living groups like I always wanted to be in myself, wandering and grubbing about and eating fruit and slugs and seashells, fighting and screwing when necessary (or possible) and hooning around.

But think deeper maybe, baboons would also have a god or deity associated, god of the baboons. Babi. Do your own research and see what clicks.

The sitting pose is also what many gargoyles do so it could still be such. Nothing wrong with imps and daemons btw.

Thank you for that Jape.

i did read your reply earlier but didn't have the time to reply, sorry.

I like your thoughts on the associated behaviours/attributes of a baboon they really made me smile in a "lol yeah thats just what they do" kind of way

I'll look into the rest, quite interesting.

Thanks again

Guest Steve 1

My niece, when she was young, came downstairs one night (I was babysitting) frightened and saying there was a monster in her room, with a red eye watching her. She believed in it so much, she couldn't physically return to her bedroom, or even look through the door. I had a look, and the only thing found was a portable television, which was on standby with a small red LED "o" on the control panel. I asked her about the tv, and she said it had just been put there, because the old one has broken! So I told her, you must face your fears, and "protected" her from the monster until eventually, after 10 minutes of persuasion, she looked at the 'o' with a very quick, sideways glance; then looked again and broke out laughing biggrin.gif

I wonder if, from her angle on the bed, the other things in the room had made some kind of outline which resembled a living thing, with the "red eye" roughly in the right place in it; possibly combined with a recent horror movie, or a monster story. That would have given it form, and also made it transparent.

Guest Satanistwithwit

The Human mind is a powerful tool, and it have not yet been studied to it fullness.

leighqt

Funnily enough I had a devil like creature on the end of my bed,, I always put it down to something else but who knows

Edited by leighqt

Julie Sheppard

What does it mean if I saw a tall, wolf headed being, all black? I did not see the lower body as it was shielded by the bed.

Nomis

Hmm. Was this day or night as you do not say? If night, could be something really simple such as a silhouette created say, by car headlight.

Moonhunter

Nomis, Ailis is no longer a member of this forum, so I'm afraid she will be unable to answer your question :(

Ellinas

I'm puzzled. Isn't Nomis asking clarification of Julie Sheppard rather than Ailis... ?

Moonhunter

I'm puzzled. Isn't Nomis asking clarification of Julie Sheppard rather than Ailis... ?

Oops. My bad. As you were, Nomis. I'll try to be more attentive next time. :P