Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Majecel65

A Little Lost (Again) - Where does the sea fit in to all this?

Guest Majecel65

Am feeling a little lost (totally confused to be honest). I read on here that to start, the best thing to do was to sit against a tree to get close to nature but I felt nothing...however..I have always been drawn to the sea. As I live by the sea, I went onto the beach to collect pebbles to make rune stones, and found myself sitting there for over 2 hours and feeling totally relaxed.This probably sounds like a load of drivel,but the sea,the moon and the night have always been more interesting to me than bright sunlight and grass fields. so my question is...where does all this fit in ? I cannot find any reading material referring to this....apart from vampires and I don't do blood, neither do I have huge eye teeth!! Would be grateful for any opinions and answers.:blink: :) .

Ad from Google

Pomona

Well, I wouldn't feel confused if I were you, this just means that you feel most connected to other aspects and elements - there are lots of pagans who feel exactly the same way and don't "get" the connection to earth and land etc. I know people who feel most at home on the flat fens and moorlands, and I feel my heart stir at mountains. We're all different.

If you're looking for books specifically covering paganism from your preferred point of view, you'll be struggling, but most books do contain moonlight rituals, water-focussed meditations etc. Why not do some research on sea gods, river goddesses, moon folklore etc and see what you turn up through that? :)

Maeve

Have you thought about checking out your Birth chart astrologically, to discover if you have planets in water signs? I don't just mean your Sun sign as shown in popular daily horoscopes in newspapers and magazines, but a properly drawn Birth chart from someone who can interpret it for you? I have found that the use of such a chart for understanding yourself and your personality is valuable - I am not so sure about using astrology for predictive purposes ... but character analysis can be very useful! Just a thought!

tibbington

Am feeling a little lost (totally confused to be honest). I read on here that to start, the best thing to do was to sit against a tree to get close to nature but I felt nothing...however..I have always been drawn to the sea. As I live by the sea, I went onto the beach to collect pebbles to make rune stones, and found myself sitting there for over 2 hours and feeling totally relaxed.This probably sounds like a load of drivel,but the sea,the moon and the night have always been more interesting to me than bright sunlight and grass fields. so my question is...where does all this fit in ? I cannot find any reading material referring to this....apart from vampires and I don't do blood, neither do I have huge eye teeth!! Would be grateful for any opinions and answers.:blink: :) .

I have always had a massive attraction to the Sea, I have no great feeling & love of travelling on it, just like you watching it from a nice safe vantage point. Quite frankly I can't think of anything I find more relaxing. By the way I live in the West Midlands & you can't get much further away from the sea than that & I have only seen the sea probably 3 times in the last 10 years.

The only way I can think about it like this: In meditation you have to get your breathing right & I think when you witness the waves lapping up against the shore, you are seeing or feeling the Earth/Gaia breathing & the effect the Moon as on this process. So we are effectively meditating with the Earth/Gaia & coming into sync with her.

The only book I know of is Sea Witch: Practical Oceanic Magic by Philip Holman printed by Ignotus Press & but getting a copy might be difficult or expensive

Edited by tibbington

Guest Majecel65

Thank you for your replies,I feel a lot less confused and am on the search for some water/moon based material,thank you again.:D

Fortuna

I would never discourage folk from reading and learning, but you won't necessarily find your answers in reading material. You might..... but you might not. You have already worked out the things which "speak" to you so why not go with your instinct for a while. This is a wonderful time of year to experience the sea and remember you live in the only county in Britain with two separate coastlines.... so you're spoilt. Reading is great, but remember that you are only reading stuff others have thought up and that your own conclusions and gut feelings will have their own validity (and what is more is that they are yours). There member who wrote about leaning on a tree was almost certainly suggesting it as an idea, not saying that doing so is key to Paganism.

Mike

Moonhunter

Hi and welcome.

Well, the sea is tidal, and the moon controls the tides, so I guess there's a connection there already. ;)

heartsongsacredriver

I feel a stronger connection to water, though I always feel 'something' when I'm surrounded by nature. I agree with Mike and think you should trust your instincts and just connect for a while. Sometimes the best learning isn't through reading, but experience. Now if only I can convince my university lecturers of that...

Guest lammas

Water does it for me too. I think the 'sitting by tree' was actually valuable. Woods are magical to me, but the sea is restless, emotiive, awesome, deep and scary, perhaps you have gained a small insight into you?! A few years back I found myself sea fishing ( off a beach), I hadn't fished since I was 17 and had to bash a poor baby pike to death coz hooked so badly, I felt sick. Many years later many miles away, my life in tatters, a beach at night or early morning, alone, cold, stinky and yet I felt elated, just being at the end of the world, with the sea calling me. You get the idea, i shall shut up now!

Guest Stargazer

Agree with what Mike, reading can be useful, but experience...thats yours and yours alone and just as valid. The sea the coast, they certainly are lovely areas and Ive always loved them. But to me, its the night sky, the stars, the moon, the odd shooting star!! I can sit, usually with fire burning and a drink in hand and feel relaxed and connected under the night sky.

Pomona

Actually, this (thread) is helpful to me too. It's an oft-asked question, about where to start, and my stock response is to tell people to go out in amongst trees and land, but I will also remember now to suggest sitting by the sea or river to see if it's that which evokes the greatest jolt of connection :)

Guest SnowyGirl

I agree with pretty much everything said above. I think sometimes it's easier to feel a connection to the Moon, the sea, at this time of year. Something about it being cold and dark makes me think of the Moon Goddess. Perhaps those attracted to the sea and the moon are feeling more of a connection to the Goddess, whereas I associate the sun, the heat and trees to the (Horned) God. Perhaps we are also attracted to one thing or another more at different times, when something is attracting/pulling us for a reason? That's what I think. (Moonhunter would probably think of this as UPG - Unverified Personal Gnosis)!

Edited by SnowyGirl

hedgerose

UPG it might be, snowygirl, but i'm with you feeling the full moon calling more strongly when she is reflected in the sea, that can be very powerful.

Moonsmith

Perhaps we are also attracted to one thing or another more at different times, when something is attracting/pulling us for a reason? That's what I think. (Moonhunter would probably think of this as UPG - Unverified Personal Gnosis)!

I certainly understand. See my reaction to short dark days in the Solstice thread. Can't explain it - its how I react.

In passing, please, I trust that no one thinks that UPG is somehow a lesser knowledge than learned lore or studied history as far as a spiritual path is concerned.

Guest PurpleJ

UPG it might be, snowygirl, but i'm with you feeling the full moon calling more strongly when she is reflected in the sea, that can be very powerful.

I love the sea too and will sit for hours. I must agree a full moon reflecting perfectly on still sea water is amazing!

Guest Michelle

I think I will just add that no feeling beats just sitting on the beach and watching the tides of the sea for me. It's were I do my best thinking and feeling. It's where I feel most at peace, at any time of the year x

Guest Seabhag

Living on an island the sea is very important to me as well, in fact I can only drive for half hour before i run into it in any direction.

I see it simple as one aspect of the goddess as is the moon.

I spend many an evening sitting on a beach in quiet contemplation.

herneoakshield

This thread has brought to mind a quote from one of the letters Robert Cochrane wrote to Joe Wilson (Letter dated 1st Feb 1966)

The answer to all things are in the Air – Inspiration, and the winds will bring you news and knowledge if you ask them properly. The Trees of the Wood will gave you power, and the Waters of the Sea will give you patience and omniscience, since the Sea is a womb that contains a memory of all things".

Robert Cochrane

Freydis

I like that - I hadn't come across it before. Thanks, Herne!

herneoakshield

I like that - I hadn't come across it before. Thanks, Herne!

I think it's possibly one of my favourite sentences of his to quote. It really does make sense to me.

Guest Solstice_3

I miss living by the Sea. I used to take long walks along the beach or just sit, in any weather. I think I felt more connected to my spiritual side back then. Now I live in a town and while I do have Water nearby it's not the same thing. I do also love Woodlands, the Moon and the Night and I love all seasons but have a special affinity for Autumn and Winter probably due to the longer nights ^_^

Edited to add: I am pretty sure I get the Sea thing from my Dad and it's in the blood seeing as I didn't grow up around him after 6 years old. He said to me the other day he has to see water everyday otherwise he feels off, he works as a part time Coastguard too.

I have no idea how this adds to the thread just wanted to say I understand how you feel with the pull towards the Sea and Moon and got a bit talkative x

Edited by Solstice_3

Guest SamRodwell

I love and always have loved the sea or stream or river. Anything with water really. Like above people have mentioned, water is one of the elements so it is natural to feel a strong link to the sea. For others it is woodland (earth) or fire (self explanatory).

I tend to focus my intent whilst around water if I can as feel it has more of a result. If nothing else it certainly makes me more relaxed if stressed.