Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Imbolc - idea for family friendly celebration / ritual

Guest PurpleJ

Hi all, (excuse my mis-spelling in the title I can't amend it). [note - edited by MH for you]

I can't see my girls doing a 'ritual' for a number of reasons but my birthday is the 1st Feb. I have always marked Imbolic by planting bulbs in the winter and watching for them in spring then tidying the garden and having my own 'time'. This also is reflection for a lost baby for me as well.

Well this year is my 40th birthday and I'd love to do something a bit more 'special' I'm not the sort of person to want a big flash party so I'm thinking perhaps a special meal that is symbolic and perhaps time in the garden during daylight hours and after once the girls are asleep for my husband and I. I have also found the imbolc pendant appealing so may look at that as a gift or perhaps a tattoo idea. I have a pentacle that is quite old but I regret it being on my back where I am unable to see it too well. lol So something visable as a reminder would be nice.

I know that fire is linked to Imbolc celebrations along with the welcoming of spring i.e. blessing of seeds etc which is apt as I grow my own veggies etc. I am also adding a greenhouse to my garden this year as my birthday present. I'm wondering about buying or building a fire pit to have in the garden as it would allow us warmth and be in keeping.

Do you have any ideas to offer that would work well?

Thanks B)

Edited by Moonhunter

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

You might like to research the meaning of the goddess Bride / Brigid and Imolc. She is, amongst other things, the goddess of blacksmiths and so you might like to consider something forged out of iron as a present to yourself.

I personally do not see this festival as a fire festival but we do have a firepit in our garden (there's a picture in my Gallery) and we take every celebratory opportunity to have a bonfire or smaller log fire in ours and so, weather permitting, it is likely that such a fire will be lit at Imolc - Hurray! :lol: Hope you have lots of fun planning your birthday :)

Thanks :) great idea and one I can work with as I have a horsey friend who makes horse shoes into celeratory plaques etc so perhaps I can get her to make a special one for me.. from my girls! ;)

I had read before that fire festivals are common around imbolc.. may be not as common as I thought! lol Will have a look at your firepit - i mentioned it to hubby and he definately liked the idea so another plan for the garden. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Brighid, as Naomi said, is definately worth looking into. I'm the opposite to Naomi, though, I DO see Imbolc as a Fire festival - mainly because I associate Brighid with Imbolc, and because she's a Goddess of the Hearth. But, that's just me...... :D

Brighid, as Naomi said, is definately worth looking into. I'm the opposite to Naomi, though, I DO see Imbolc as a Fire festival - mainly because I associate Brighid with Imbolc, and because she's a Goddess of the Hearth. But, that's just me...... :D

Yes me too. I first felt called to brighid right at the beginning and then did lots of research around her. Brighid to me is also very tied to home and hearth and as these things are the most important to me, I tend to feel very drawn to Brighid. I'm looking forward to this years Imbolc. And I'm an artist - Brighid is also very tied to arts and crafts - especially the forge - blacksmith

Thanks for the link, Chatters. I also have a couple of very good books on my Kindle about her too - Brigid: Goddess, Druidess and Saint (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0063A9NCC/ref=docs-os-doi_0) There's also a good book by Llewellyn about her as relates to Imbolc - Candlemas: Feast of Flames (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DML0IE/ref=docs-os-doi_0)

When I say "fire festival", I associate those festivals which have some meaning for the Sun - Solstices and Equinoxes. The others, I personally consider to be nature orientated - other than in respect of the Sun ! Although Bride is associated with hearth and thus fire it is not that connection which allows it to be a fire festival for me .... just by way of explanation of my UPG :)

When I say "fire festival", I associate those festivals which have some meaning for the Sun - Solstices and Equinoxes. The others, I personally consider to be nature orientated - other than in respect of the Sun ! Although Bride is associated with hearth and thus fire it is not that connection which allows it to be a fire festival for me .... just by way of explanation of my UPG :)

Not that it matters much - but traditionally the Solstices and Equinoxes tend to be referred to as Sun Festivals while the diagonals :) tend to be called Fire Festivals because they tend to involve a fire [or two] They certainly do if I have anything to do with them :) Imbolc is a fire festival - mainly because its usually bloody cold up there! [As well as burning the detritus from spring sweep out.]

Come fill the cup and in the fires of Spring,

Your Winter garment of repentance fling,

The Bird of time has but little way to flutter and,

Lo the bird is on the wing.

OK he was a Muslim but you get the idea!

Clean and fertile - Roll on the next diagonal - Beltane :)

In reality Imbolc is for me tinged with sadness - It is the end of "My Time" - the dark days and cold air that lift me spiritually.

Ah, I see... you say 'fire festival' I say 'Sun festival'!

I agree with Moonsmith, though - Fire festivals and Sun festivals are different things in my opinion. Imbolc has always been a Fire festival to me. Even the Christians see it as such! (Candlemas)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm watching this thread with interest - as someone who is very very very new and has only just decided that this is the right next step on the path just now, I'd like to do something for Imbolc but I have absolutely no idea quite what. Whatever it is, it will have to be simple. But a wee ritual to mark the day or the night before or the evening of the day or...just something. It feels like the right thing to do - I just wish I could figure out what the right way for me to do it would be! So all ideas, contributions and personal habits are gratefully taken note of :-)

I know that fire is linked to Imbolc celebrations along with the welcoming of spring i.e. blessing of seeds etc which is apt as I grow my own veggies etc.

Thanks B)

At a PF Conference someone came up with the wonderful idea of putting the seed (assuming it's a reasonable size) in ones mouth first before planting for boosting sympathetic magick for growth and prosperity of the planter :)

Same here, was out walking the dog and hubby spotted a lovely clump of them down by the stream at the bottom of the field. Wonderful! :)

Had a lovely Imolc celebration this weekend with friends - planted some acorns - burned the Yule holy and pine decorations - honoured Bride and all is well!

So whatever you call the festival - sun - fire - or anything else - it is a lovely time of year with all the hope and expectation of Spring around the corner, except that we have had large clumps of snowdrops and celandine in the garden for weeks and walking down to the shop this morning, a garden where crocuses and daffodils are already out! :)

Personally Imbolc is going to be a good opportunity for me to sort a few things out and try to change things around. I've had a particularly crappy time the past couple of years and then it dawned on me the other day that I've been looking after everybody else and neglecting myself, especially when it comes to personal protection. Not meaning to come across in a selfish way, but basically I've realised that I need to make sure that I'm in tiptop condition first, physically and mentally, before I can take care of others.

So, I have been giving this year's celebration a lot of thought :)

I will be concentrating on purification and washing away negative energy. Also, healing as I am currently on anti-depressants and also under investigation for an eye problem, and would like to get myself well again. I am considering making a 'crios Bride' or 'Bridget's belt' and passing through it 3 times as a physical blessing and to signify rebirth.

I will be burning candles and perhaps writing down on bits of paper things I want to be rid of and burning those.

I will be doing a protection ritual and making a charm as well as putting up a horseshoe that I recently bought (because of the association of Brigid with blacksmiths) for good luck.

And most importantly, I will be enjoying a hearty family meal with my partner and daughter :D

On the subject of Imbolc, I also find it interesting that the heathen celebration Disting is around the same time (Feb 4th) in which they honoured the Disir or female ancestral spirits as well as blessing the plow to mark a new crop year. There seems to be very similar elements there ^_^

Personally Imbolc is going to be a good opportunity for me to sort a few things out and try to change things around. I've had a particularly crappy time the past couple of years and then it dawned on me the other day that I've been looking after everybody else and neglecting myself, especially when it comes to personal protection. Not meaning to come across in a selfish way, but basically I've realised that I need to make sure that I'm in tiptop condition first, physically and mentally, before I can take care of others.

So, I have been giving this year's celebration a lot of thought :)

I will be concentrating on purification and washing away negative energy. Also, healing as I am currently on anti-depressants and also under investigation for an eye problem, and would like to get myself well again. I am considering making a 'crios Bride' or 'Bridget's belt' and passing through it 3 times as a physical blessing and to signify rebirth.

I will be burning candles and perhaps writing down on bits of paper things I want to be rid of and burning those.

I will be doing a protection ritual and making a charm as well as putting up a horseshoe that I recently bought (because of the association of Brigid with blacksmiths) for good luck.

And most importantly, I will be enjoying a hearty family meal with my partner and daughter :D

On the subject of Imbolc, I also find it interesting that the heathen celebration Disting is around the same time (Feb 4th) in which they honoured the Disir or female ancestral spirits as well as blessing the plow to mark a new crop year. There seems to be very similar elements there ^_^

I like the sound of this Katie and I think I will be doing something similar. Need to move on from an extremely hungry emotional vampire. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Edited by sinistra