Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Come On Baby Light My Fire

Guest lammas

A very happy new year. I wish it wasn't so but I have a deep dislike of the new year, deeply psychologically rooted, think I always feel remorse for another largely wasted year and little hope for the next! That's my stuff and sorry to spew it out.

I would really appreciate some feedback on how spirituality helps you, enriches you or whatever the experience may be for you. I am concerned, and want to check it with myself that I am not just searching for a fix through a spiritual channel. The idea of waking up and having the christian god on my side has always to me seemed fantastic, if I could believe, wow, i'd feel SO superior.

My vague point we all have a psychological life, we cannot escape that. I don't want a fix through religion, although some clear thinking and inner calm would be very much appreciated. I want spirituality as another level.

Hope I don't sound TOOOO sceptical, just dipping a toe and want lots of inspiration, hope, love and warmth, what can you offer?!!

BB

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I do sympathise about the whole New Year thing, I think it's massively over-hyped and ultimately a bit of a let-down. Let's just think of it that it's simply the calendar flipping over :)

As for the topic - nice one :)

My spirituality just - at the risk of sounding blase and trite - completes me. It's difficult to define. It's not that it acts as the instant calmer, it's just that there are instants where I feel connected to everything and I'm filled with this utter gratitude for the grace of the moment. Or where I "hear" my Gods. And those moments, knowing that they occur, are enough to keep me - listening. For more. I don't feel inspired to share or to convert, or to shout out, but to quietly listen in the hope that if I create the right conditions I can hear (it) again. Yes, most of it is UPG, or even SPG, but that doesn't lessen the value of it. I believe I'm firmly grounded in reality, in mundanity, but there are moments of spirituality that remind me that I have a soul, a spirit, and that will live on longer than the flesh.

(Not sure if this is what you're looking for :unsure: )

Nothing wrong with 'searching for a fix through spirituality' as you put it. Looking for a fix also suggests it is wrong, something is wrong. It isn't. Nor are you. You just don't like reality.

It is intelligent and perceptive, but not highly so, to see the world as shit and needing fixing and perhaps by extension, yourself. It is shit. But it isn't wrong or bust. Ask a tree if a fire catches it or a mountain when it is worn down by eons of weather, even a bug or baby animal eaten by a predator. Is it wrong? They don't think like that. Of course not, the same pattern that gave them life gives ultimate death, and risk too.

Whether you are 'wrong' or not and how you see yourself is partly fixed during childhood and partly fixable by you. But not absolutely in either case. No deity or spiritual search will do the job for you either, however as Pomona says it is certainly true that a sense of well being, completion, purpose and sometimes joy and connection may be found during a spiritual search. It is practise and observance brings the connection - when you are sincere. Paradox is that you want a sign before you believe or follow. Well ask for it.

But don't ask us, ask for it from the space that is not you, Other not Self to give you an idea.

Doesn't matter if some old git with a beard surrounded by a heavenly host answers, or another aspect with horns and tits as well as balls. Doesn't matter if a crow shits on your head, a talking cat brings you a mouse, a long lost Roman talisman turns up in your front yard, you dream of a baboon faced lover - doesn't matter what answer you get. It is something you can choose to follow, or not, and only you can measure yourself. The answers only come if you ask, that's the trick.

Toe dippers just get wet toes. Jumpers may hit rocks and drown. Observe, function fully as a human including a small and balanced measure of thinking, allow some emotion to drive you, don't think it is all about you, then slip into the river and follow the flow. That is enough analogy and metaphor for one day, except that you should remember you can usually swim to shore anytime you want. If you do drown, so what? It was all a gift and you are not functioning perfectly anyway, no great loss.

Oh yeah, don't expect warmth and love. They are human attributes and if you want that it probably mean mummy didn't give you enough tit. Find a girl or boyfriend as a replacement for that, or learn self love (without self attachment). Spirituality is not just about your needs either, it has its own requirements.

Happy new life.

Edited by jape

I do sympathise about the whole New Year thing, I think it's massively over-hyped and ultimately a bit of a let-down. Let's just think of it that it's simply the calendar flipping over :)

As for the topic - nice one :)

My spirituality just - at the risk of sounding blase and trite - completes me. It's difficult to define. It's not that it acts as the instant calmer, it's just that there are instants where I feel connected to everything and I'm filled with this utter gratitude for the grace of the moment. Or where I "hear" my Gods. And those moments, knowing that they occur, are enough to keep me - listening. For more. I don't feel inspired to share or to convert, or to shout out, but to quietly listen in the hope that if I create the right conditions I can hear (it) again. Yes, most of it is UPG, or even SPG, but that doesn't lessen the value of it. I believe I'm firmly grounded in reality, in mundanity, but there are moments of spirituality that remind me that I have a soul, a spirit, and that will live on longer than the flesh.

(Not sure if this is what you're looking for :unsure: )

I know it seems that perhaps I cant think for myself,but you have said how l feel perfectly.xx :rolleyes:

I find that my personal spirituality has given me an enormous boost in confidence. I know where I stand with my Deity.

I wish I could click my zippo and grant you this feeling. I can't.

It didn't happen quickly. Over time I have realised that what I have is of ultimate value. I strongly believe that if you had some sort of giant spiritual scale and you put the whole of established formalised belief [Abrahamic, Pagan, Mystic Gnostic etc. etc.] in one pan and just me [or any other individual who has realised their PG] in the other then the scale would remain balanced - absolutely central.

Please note that I am referring to spirituality and my personal story of my relationship with the universe. I am not talking about the considerable body of social, esoteric, personal and practical knowledge [and skills] that the various groups I've mentioned have accumulated. To me these are peripheral, useful but peripheral.

As a Pagan I have taken responsibility for myself - no priest, high or low. If I need the feeling that you once had from being a Christian I look out at the sky, a tree or water flowing from a tap. I look at my own existence.

ENOUGH ABOUT ME :)

I would suggest that you ask your questions here and elsewhere, perhaps including your priest and that you take your time. If at the end of that you feel safer or more integrated with Christianity then be honest about that and walk back through the West Door. It would be the right thing to do and I for one would applaud it.

Take your time. In the Pagan world that is traditionally a year and a day. A mundane year to do the work, research, question and come to your conclusions then a final day "out of time" to let your spirit speak to you.

In the meantime enjoy the exploration - its a wonderful world and there are no ultimate answers. Have you ever listened to Brian Cox. Every time he speaks he says - Science does not know the truth - it only knows the best explanation so far. The same is true of life and spirituality.

You owe it to yourself to be happy!

Above all be totally honest with yourself.

Hmm this has got me thinking -in a good way :) , i really like New Years I think its better to be at the beggining of something with no clue how its going to go than at the end of something where the vast expanse of time behind you holds bad memories - I know intrinsicly thats what getting older and having years behinds you is however I do perversely like the idea that I can do another January , February ect and not f**k it up or have the stuff go on in it that had gone previously -just my opinion and in my orbit I'm always right !! :D

As for my spirituality I came to it completely when I turned 40 after a near death experiance and prior to this poo poo'd the idea or was sitting somewhat on the fence that they even exsisted - then everything seemed to bang together all at once and make complete sense and boy was I aggravated about the wasted years before when I was resisting and not believeing when to all intesive purposes them upstairs gave me enough nudges or more like near pushing off cliffs and over the edge .

Anyways now I get I'm a small cog in the grand scheme of things and very little I can do in the world as a whole can make a major difference however I do tend to cause a few ripples where I can :D - like has been said in previous posters I feel complete now and safe in the knowledge that there is a greater force than me at work in the universe at whatever level needs too and this gives me some security and also the safe knowledge that it was all here before my exsistence and will be long after I am dust so booyaa them for being so awesome :D

Find spiritual things to add into your life. If spirituality is what you need (eg rather than human love or friendship), it will be a long and enriching journey, where every little bit of progress will make you inordinately happy. I don't think anyone who is not a spiritual person can suddenly become one, or choose and adopt a set of beliefs wholesale. You have to listen carefully to your own needs and feelings, and find things that resonate, which you already believe but didn't realise it. Incrementally, and possibly after a few false starts, you will find your own direction.

Thank you very much for fantastic feedback, thanks for all the effort. So much food for thought here and I am unable to respond appropriately to so many great words! I am forming ideas all the time, I am reassured I am a spiritual being and inspired I can find my own way and still fit in. For the record, I said was looking for love and warmth! That was a little fluffy, I have received the warmth through replies, the love thing was kinda thinking love in life force etc. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR LOVE!!! Just wanted to clear that!

Hi,I'm new to all this after being brought up as a christian...which never quite sat right with me...however,I totally understand what you're saying,it's all very confusing.

I have started by spending time on the beach (the sea is "my thing" more than trees),just sitting on rocks and "being there"...I have also put together my own meditation "kit"..music I like,candles and a warm fire,oh and a couple of small pebbles which I like to hold(weird I know)...then I can just "sit" and clear my mind, These are just the ways I have started,not taken from anything or anyone,just what I have chosen. My path is my own,as I was advised when I first joined this forum,I am not trying to fit in or give my path a label.

So my suggestion is just to find what you feel connected to..water,earth,trees etc and spend time just being there...and we all like warmth and love,it's what makes us human (well most of us :P ),:D

I always have a deep lethargic feeling at the start of the year & generally it takes me a few weeks to get back into the swing of things. I can't say I get excited of the prospect of the new year but when things are yuky, I think I get that after the lord mayors show feeling after seeing in the winter solstice & the wheels off for another turn.

Edited by tibbington