Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

So What Am I Missing?

Guest Imeera

I have knowledge of paganism but its just every time I try to do a spell or an offering or anything practical I just draw blank! Its like I am not interested in practising or that I am very unsure, though I am pretty sure I am interested blink.gif I don't get it, I get the theory. I know how, I just don't know where to start. I think I just have no idea where to start with anything practical. Can anyone give any starters? I am not looking for spells or anything just more actively... "worshipping" the Gods I suppose happy.gif

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

You dont need to do stuff like spells to be a pagan. In fact you dont have to do anything practical to Be a pagan. Just a sence that something inside feel happy and that you get nature a bit more than everyone else.

I mean do you feel a connection to a goddess or god? maybe you wont go that way and being athesit. (or something spelt like that)

Is there a path you have an idea about one that maybe you are drawn to more than the others?.

really i am the worse to say because i have never been anything but a pagan. Its just in me bones.. (i wont say blood type because i may get smacked).

:lol: Stormy

She's dead right though Imeera. It's enough to simply "be". You could make offerings to the spirits and wights by putting out nice treats, birdseed, wine etc. if you want to make some kind of devotion.

Just be out and observe the moon cycles, the new growth, the wind changing, the constellations etc :) Sow seeds (I'm a great believer in gardening as a way to "connect").

Do you actually feel a pull to any gods or any pantheon or is it that you feel you ought to? Why not start reading mythologies and see where you feel drawn :)

:lol: Thank you both ^.^ I understand what you mean, and I do feel it. I am very drawn to Egyptian Gods where I feel a connection to Hathor and Celtic/Norse Gods but I haven't read enough about them to feel a connection to any of them. I think the crux of the problem is that though I am Pagan in thought and feeling I haven't taken it into my life. Its not a part of my everyday life as I feel it should be because I grew up in an atheist home. It isn't the norm at all for me, I keep forgetting the holidays and I have to keep reminding myself they are coming up for example. I really enjoy celebrating them when I do remember and it feels very...right xD I guess I just have to keep remembering and it will come naturally after a while?

Yes, it will, but have a look at the Totally Confused Newbie thread :)

Not all the dates apply to everyone, and if you're looking to mark the seasons' cycle, then mark when you see the changes, not just when he books specify you should :)

You can be doing "something" by acknowledging the sunrise/set; the moon; watering your plants; cooking a meal; feeding the birds etc. Being Pagan isn't about ritual or spells or dates, it's about living your life in a way that acknowledges nature, your part in it, living your life, acknowledging your Gods etc. Does that make sense? Um. You're Pagan because you call yourself Pagan, because you recognise instinctively the inherent spirituality in the universe, in the land, the sea and because every action you do is part of that. Formal recognition and action are good, but if they arise from instinctive impulses then that's even better, rather than forcing unnatural impositions upon yourself which feel weird for that very reason.

Not sure if this is explaining myself very well :(

No I know exactly what you mean, Pomona. You are exactly right, I guess because I live in a city because of Uni away from home. Away from my pets, my garden and pond, friends, countryside, trees gosh I miss trees! I am where I feel I can't do these things maybe thats why I feel this way laugh.gif

hi Hun.try not to complicate how you feel paganism isn't something you need to try to be into you just are.there are no rules sweetie just go with your own self and so just live it day by day.xxx :) be content with your soul.

There were days for me, living in a student town surrounded by concrete and seven floors up in a tower block, that I struggled to connect with anything. When I tried, when I truly put my mind to it, I could do it.

Once, I ended up meditating with a basil plant in my lap because I wanted to find a connection. Strangely, it worked. All it took was a pot-plant that lived in a kitchen waiting to be pruned, a food item in some ways. The smell, that amazing basil smell, was enough to both centre me and remove me from the grey unnatural void I lived in. It let me realise something else too...

Quite often, paganism is not about searching for the things you are sure should be there. Sometimes, you just need to stop and listen. Many paths have their own version of the 'sacred space ritual' where you go away to a place inside yourself; in OBOD Druidry, we have the Sacred Grove, but guided meditation and vision quests serve the same purpose. Stop, find that quiet place inside yourself and wait to see who or what comes to say hello. Leave behind your preconceptions though; some visits will find you communing with deities and guides, while others simply provide the chance to sit quietly and alone in a forest clearing. Perhaps that reflects the range of pagan experience.

What you find depends on what you need at that point in time; some of us need guidance, some need a quest or cause, some need to sit down and let go of our responsibilities for half an hour.

It does sound like you're too worried about the trappings at the moment. I'd agree with the others and say that as long as you feel it, that's enough. Everything else can come later, especially as anything more than the basics can be difficult as a student.

I'm in the same boat here. Away from family and friends and the countryside I grew up in, and not feeling connected to anything. I think I mentioned this when I first joined up, in the sense of not "feeling" deity, as some here seem to. I suppose coming from an atheist background that's understandable, and it'll take time to change. I feel drawn to Heathenry, but how do I know that's not just everyday interest?

[/threadjack] ;)

Have you tried "going Home" inside your head? Its just thinking of loved ones really but if you start to put them in context [garden, local woods] and in time [dark, early morning etc] you will find your body and mind reacting to your imagination. As long as you hang on to the fact that it IS imagination. I used to do that in the middle of Bangkok!

I just hope you aren't incarcerated in Lancaster Uni - the land of grey concrete!

Good luck on your path and with your studies.

BTW :) Have you noticed that the snowdrops are out here in the Valley and theres a bunch of early daffs in the Snug :)

If you feel drawn to Hathor, why not do a bit more reading?

You could try this very accessible site. Or this forum.

Heathenry is more difficult to access. But there are a lot of Heathens here, and you can find some threads in this part of the site. :)

Thank you for the help everyone!!!

Have you tried "going Home" inside your head? Its just thinking of loved ones really but if you start to put them in context [garden, local woods] and in time [dark, early morning etc] you will find your body and mind reacting to your imagination. As long as you hang on to the fact that it IS imagination. I used to do that in the middle of Bangkok!

I just hope you aren't incarcerated in Lancaster Uni - the land of grey concrete!

Good luck on your path and with your studies.

BTW :) Have you noticed that the snowdrops are out here in the Valley and theres a bunch of early daffs in the Snug :)

I have kind of, I have lots of photos of home and pets. Even of my garden xD I don't get out of Plymouth, at all, but I have noticed some flowers out! A little early though.

If you feel drawn to Hathor, why not do a bit more reading?

You could try this very accessible site. Or this forum.

Heathenry is more difficult to access. But there are a lot of Heathens here, and you can find some threads in this part of the site. :)

Thanks! I know quite a bit about her but Egyptian Gods are so complex =] Thank you for the links! They are really good =]

You can be doing "something" by acknowledging the sunrise/set; the moon; watering your plants; cooking a meal; feeding the birds etc. Being Pagan isn't about ritual or spells or dates, it's about living your life in a way that acknowledges nature, your part in it, living your life, acknowledging your Gods etc. Does that make sense? Um. You're Pagan because you call yourself Pagan, because you recognise instinctively the inherent spirituality in the universe, in the land, the sea and because every action you do is part of that. Formal recognition and action are good, but if they arise from instinctive impulses then that's even better, rather than forcing unnatural impositions upon yourself which feel weird for that very reason.

I think Pomona you have explained that very well!!! I comp agree!!

Sometimes its about finding that connection. I am lucky as just outside my town are lovely fields, the Ridegeway, Avebury, ancient sites etc. Im near a very sacred landscape and thats nice.

But sometimes, I just love lighting a fire in my back garden, relax, meditate if I want under the stars or sometimes just view the night sky go by.

I was at Leeds University many years ago, and still remember how dreary I used to find red brick :) I lived in a back-to-back terrace house - no garden - straight out onto the street. I would make a point of detouring through the local park on my way into lectures and on my way home, to find trees and grass ! Now I am very fortunate to live in rural North Norfolk with a large garden and plenty of space to enjoy the trees and to plant more trees ..... I am truly blessed and forever grateful.

But, in Plymouth, there is Plymouth Hoe with plenty of grassy space and the most wonderful views of the Sound and the open sea beyond - loads of noisy seagulls! If you can spare the time, Dartmoor is not so far away and all that glorious Devon countryside, with the rich red soil and wonderful rocky outcrops!

Have you a sunny windowsill where you could plant some things in planters? As I read AnthonyHJ's post about Basil, I could smell it too .......

Just some ideas .. things you could do !

I was at Leeds University many years ago, and still remember how dreary I used to find red brick :) I lived in a back-to-back terrace house - no garden - straight out onto the street. I would make a point of detouring through the local park on my way into lectures and on my way home, to find trees and grass ! Now I am very fortunate to live in rural North Norfolk with a large garden and plenty of space to enjoy the trees and to plant more trees ..... I am truly blessed and forever grateful.

But, in Plymouth, there is Plymouth Hoe with plenty of grassy space and the most wonderful views of the Sound and the open sea beyond - loads of noisy seagulls! If you can spare the time, Dartmoor is not so far away and all that glorious Devon countryside, with the rich red soil and wonderful rocky outcrops!

Have you a sunny windowsill where you could plant some things in planters? As I read AnthonyHJ's post about Basil, I could smell it too .......

Just some ideas .. things you could do !

Thanks Naomi! Its not as bad as some cities. But I came from rural Norfolk and never lived in a city. I do have a park near me but it is't the same. I don't have a garden, there is just concrete in the back for cars and its attached to the long rows of houses. The Hoe isn't that great, its just concreate really and the sea with navy boats on it. No beach. Or anything, I can't get out into the countryside either and where the house is means that the sun doesn't really get into the house. It sounds like I am complaining xD But I am not! Its really not that bad. Its not what I am used to or what I want. But I am a student! Its not for long. Plus it makes me appreciate the countryside more. Thank you for your help I will try get a plant that likes the shade or out to the countryside biggrin.gif

You can be doing "something" by acknowledging the sunrise/set; the moon; watering your plants; cooking a meal; feeding the birds etc. Being Pagan isn't about ritual or spells or dates, it's about living your life in a way that acknowledges nature, your part in it, living your life, acknowledging your Gods etc. Does that make sense? Um. You're Pagan because you call yourself Pagan,

Formal recognition and action are good, but if they arise from instinctive impulses then that's even better, rather than forcing unnatural impositions upon yourself which feel weird for that very reason.

This thread has helped me a lot too, and especially your response Pomona.

I think because when we first start out we read so much about dieties, about rituals about how some do this and others do that, we feel that we need to it all as well, in order to be validated as "proper pagans".

I have felt no draw towards magick, or ritual, or deities as they are so unfamiliar to me, I just feel drawn to Nature, ancestors and the turning of the wheel. Maybe one day I will be into all that other stuff, maybe I won't, but I think the first lesson we all need to learn (and it's an incredibly hard one!) is as Pomona said "You're Pagan because you call yourself Pagan,"

I think we new ones feel it can't be that simple, as everyone else appears so deeply into all the other stuff, and so knowledgeable, we're unworthy of being afforded the same name, even if it is just an umbrella one!

... everyone else appears so deeply into all the other stuff, and so knowledgeable,

:o_roflmao:

Believe me - no one was born that way! In fact, there's a fairly recent thread on the site somewhere inviting us all to cough up to the things we once believed or did that now make us cringe with embarrassment. :P

You can be doing "something" by acknowledging the sunrise/set; the moon; watering your plants; cooking a meal; feeding the birds etc. Being Pagan isn't about ritual or spells or dates, it's about living your life in a way that acknowledges nature, your part in it, living your life, acknowledging your Gods etc. Does that make sense? Um. You're Pagan because you call yourself Pagan,

Formal recognition and action are good, but if they arise from instinctive impulses then that's even better, rather than forcing unnatural impositions upon yourself which feel weird for that very reason.

This thread has helped me a lot too, and especially your response Pomona.

I think because when we first start out we read so much about dieties, about rituals about how some do this and others do that, we feel that we need to it all as well, in order to be validated as "proper pagans".

I have felt no draw towards magick, or ritual, or deities as they are so unfamiliar to me, I just feel drawn to Nature, ancestors and the turning of the wheel. Maybe one day I will be into all that other stuff, maybe I won't, but I think the first lesson we all need to learn (and it's an incredibly hard one!) is as Pomona said "You're Pagan because you call yourself Pagan,"

I think we new ones feel it can't be that simple, as everyone else appears so deeply into all the other stuff, and so knowledgeable, we're unworthy of being afforded the same name, even if it is just an umbrella one!

Exactly! Well said Elowen. ^_^

I think I've said this very recently but please, never never never feel "unworthy". As a Pagan you have taken the wonderful and sometimes scary decision to be responsible for your own Spirituality. Take it gently, wear it lightly, we are who we are without apology to human or gods. Enjoy what you are and enjoy the discovery. You are the world's leading expert on what you believe. Get that straight before you do anything. Once you've got it don't compromise it. THEN find a path that fits it - It may take time but you will end up with something that fits properly.

Oops - sorry got jammed in [preach] mode.

Don't know how much light polution you have where you are, we all have quite a bit and it is very annoying; but wherever we are on this earth you can just stare at the night sky to connect with nature and 'pagan emotions' for want of a better phrase.

When I was at uni many, many moons ago, I used to use the sky to connect with home, I would find a constellation look at it and know that I could see the exact same thing either home or away it was very comforting.

I think you should just give yourself a break and let your path develop organically rather than think you have to do certain things to be considered a 'proper pagan'. This just my personal opinion but as we venerate nature and because nature can sometimes be unpredictable I never think that highly structured ritual/ observances etc are appropriate anyway. So just relax and enjoy the journey.

BTW Norfolk is lovely :) had an amazing boating holiday there about fifiteen years ago I can see why you might miss the place

I would find a constellation look at it and know that I could see the exact same thing either home or away it was very comforting.

...... reminds me of my Mum and Dad - during the second World War, my Dad was in the navy and far from home for years - they worked out that Orion's Belt of three stars in a row, can be seen all of the time from both Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Their pact was that, whenever they looked up into the sky, they would think of each other and pray for each other (they were xtians)and that they would be together again ... they were ... and my Dad lived to be 78 and my Mum, 88 !

Don't know how much light polution you have where you are, we all have quite a bit and it is very annoying; but wherever we are on this earth you can just stare at the night sky to connect with nature and 'pagan emotions' for want of a better phrase.

When I was at uni many, many moons ago, I used to use the sky to connect with home, I would find a constellation look at it and know that I could see the exact same thing either home or away it was very comforting.

I think you should just give yourself a break and let your path develop organically rather than think you have to do certain things to be considered a 'proper pagan'. This just my personal opinion but as we venerate nature and because nature can sometimes be unpredictable I never think that highly structured ritual/ observances etc are appropriate anyway. So just relax and enjoy the journey.

BTW Norfolk is lovely :) had an amazing boating holiday there about fifiteen years ago I can see why you might miss the place

Yeah ypur right. I do need to stop worrying. Its just taking a while! I do that actually. I use Orion. I don't feel homesick at all when I see him. No matter where I am =] And thank you! I hope you visit again!

Edited by Imeera

I would find a constellation look at it and know that I could see the exact same thing either home or away it was very comforting.

...... reminds me of my Mum and Dad - during the second World War, my Dad was in the navy and far from home for years - they worked out that Orion's Belt of three stars in a row, can be seen all of the time from both Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Their pact was that, whenever they looked up into the sky, they would think of each other and pray for each other (they were xtians)and that they would be together again ... they were ... and my Dad lived to be 78 and my Mum, 88 !

What a georgous thing for your mum and dad you've warmed my heart up posting that on this very cold evening, naomi :)

When I was traveling a lot for work I told the children to look at the moon for the same reason :) - made it easier to leave/see me go.

I felt the same when I first came to the Valley, really out of my depth and so inexperienced. Now I'm much more relaxed about everything by taking on board what most people say and using what applies to me and my path personally. There are many wise and wonderful people in the Valley who happily share their knowledge but I'm sure all would agree we are, each and everyone of us, still on a learning curve regarding "Paganism" and probably always will be. :D

Yep. It's not just a matter of looking back a decade, (or more), but of looking back two or three years. Things change. :)

But the questions tend to be the same. :)

of course i do wonder if i knew what i knew now, would i have spend so much money on shiney pagan items. That i have never used since

:lol: Thank you both ^.^ I understand what you mean, and I do feel it. I am very drawn to Egyptian Gods where I feel a connection to Hathor and Celtic/Norse Gods but I haven't read enough about them to feel a connection to any of them. I think the crux of the problem is that though I am Pagan in thought and feeling I haven't taken it into my life. Its not a part of my everyday life as I feel it should be because I grew up in an atheist home. It isn't the norm at all for me, I keep forgetting the holidays and I have to keep reminding myself they are coming up for example. I really enjoy celebrating them when I do remember and it feels very...right xD I guess I just have to keep remembering and it will come naturally after a while?

I grew up in what was ostensibly an atheist household, too. I still even call myself an atheist now, mostly for ease of reference, even if the truth is way more complicated than that.

For me, my sense of my pagan self really kicked in when I finally realised that, as a human, I am no more divorced from nature than the tiniest mammal or the leaves on the trees. The whole of humanity is still a part of nature and subject to her laws. The works of humanity, therefore, are equally natural. Why is a termite mound a natural phenomenon, yet an apartment block isn't in some people's eyes?

Everything mankind works with to make this 'civilisation' of ours are natural resources, including (shock of shocks) the great bugbear, nuclear energy. Science has yet to transcend the boundaries of nature and I doubt it ever will - it will only ever increase our understanding of what nature already does for itself.

Once I realised this, I started to see myself as existing as one part of the incomprehensibly complex sphere of nature. Not only that, as a heathen I began to realise the part I play in the story of my family. How my attributes, characeteristics, demeanor and drives are inherited from my ancestors, who stretch off into the past and will, in turn, be inherited, through my daughter, by those who follow, when I join the ranks of those ancestors. Again, all this is a part of the natural cycle.

None of this requires me to learn by rote a ritual some freelance writer penned that got published by Llewellyn. Nor does it require me to observe some made up festivals (though I like to keep Yule and midsummer - but they just give me an excuse to party). I simply perceive the world through the lens of my psyche in a manner that, I feel, makes me 'pagan'.

Trust me, many others disagree - but I don't worry too much about them. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks NorseNephilim ^_^ Your right. Being Pagan is a state of mind. I don't have to believe in everything everyone else believes to feel like one.

• Like 1