Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

So What Am I Missing?

Guest Imeera

all this nature stuff makes me come over all tingly

the world we live in is all 'natural'

including bricks, cars, wars, Giant Hadron Colliders, social science professors

rap

Queen elizabeth 2

murder

world of warfare

etc etc

pagan is nothing, means nothing, you probably aren't pagan, just nostalgic and unconnected to yourself

try psychedelics (under adult supervison, in a controlled environmernt and only if legal etc etc etc

and all that immature, controlling nonsense) any of my pooinbts iof view are noit the official points of view of any other human or similar organisation

or try meditation

get a lover

buy a motorbike and go for runs into the hills

get a microscope

discover 'awe'

that'll sort you out until the next phase

its only evolution

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

rap

Queen elizabeth 2

murder

world of warfare

etc etc

pagan is nothing, means nothing, you probably aren't pagan, just nostalgic and unconnected to yourself

try psychedelics (under adult supervison, in a controlled environmernt and only if legal etc etc etc

and all that immature, controlling nonsense) any of my pooinbts iof view are noit the official points of view of any other human or similar organisation

or try meditation

get a lover

get a microscope

discover 'awe'

its only evolution

Bollocks

Love this thread, echos lots i have been saying to myself recently.

The Orion method i have used for many years as i travel for work, he is in a different orientation down here though i think and always visible. Thats the connection to home especially if you know someone else is looking at the exact same time :)

rap

Queen elizabeth 2

murder

world of warfare

etc etc

or try meditation

get a lover

get a microscope

discover 'awe'

its only evolution

Bollocks

I too disagree. I am insulted by your words Jape sad.gif

Love this thread, echos lots i have been saying to myself recently.

The Orion method i have used for many years as i travel for work, he is in a different orientation down here though i think and always visible. Thats the connection to home especially if you know someone else is looking at the exact same time :)

Exactly ^_^ Its a collection of homes that I knew! Its not really connected to one. Its odd!

Sorry to post again but I felt this needed a separate post laugh.gif This thread has helped me much. I don't know how but it has made me feel more connected to the Earth. I have started to notice little bits of green everywhere again and spend a while watching the pair of Magpies outside my window, or the seagulls. Its nice hearing magpie calls, I have a friend Rayne who is a magpie at home. She is so cheeky! She sits on your shoulder and nips at you playfully and then makes the cutest noise when she gets a reaction, she thinks its hilarious! Plymouth isn't that bad after all! I guess I just needed to relax and see whats around me. I have gone deeper into my research, where I have found some pretty interesting things out about Egyptian culture. I don't feel like I have to actively worship at all like I thought I should. Instead I am learning about life in lectures, watching life outside my window, I am saving up to get a plant I can tend and that feels like enough. When I can I will do more, maybe even do some offerings if I feel its right for me, but for now I don't feel I must do anything I can't. I even feel less homesick! So really really really a massive thank you! I have really enjoyed reading your posts on this thread and I hope to read more now and then! ^_^

• Like 1

rap

Queen elizabeth 2

murder

world of warfare

etc etc

or try meditation

get a lover

get a microscope

discover 'awe'

its only evolution

Bollocks

Allow me to apologise for my posting; it was not of a standard that the Valley deserves.

It was inappropriate in that it responded neither in tone nor sense to the original post.

It was inappropriate in that I should have been more caring of the Pagan community that would inevitably read it.

It was inconsiderate in that I gave no thought to the status or my knowledge [or lack of it] of the person to whom I was writing.

It was overbearing in that the word count and presentation rendered it difficult to counter other than by someone who was prepared to be aggressive.

It was rude, driven as it was by an endochrinal reaction which my intellect is perfectly capable of overcoming.

For the above I apologise to the OP, to Jape and to the Valley.

rap

Queen elizabeth 2

murder

world of warfare

etc etc

or try meditation

get a lover

get a microscope

discover 'awe'

its only evolution

Bollocks

Allow me to apologise for my posting; it was not of a standard that the Valley deserves.

It was inappropriate in that it responded neither in tone nor sense to the original post.

It was inappropriate in that I should have been more caring of the Pagan community that would inevitably read it.

It was inconsiderate in that I gave no thought to the status or my knowledge [or lack of it] of the person to whom I was writing.

It was overbearing in that the word count and presentation rendered it difficult to counter other than by someone who was prepared to be aggressive.

It was rude, driven as it was by an endochrinal reaction which my intellect is perfectly capable of overcoming.

I would say no apology needed good sir. Sometimes someone says something and we respond in a way that mood dictates at the time. Other times we engage in wordplay and enjoy the banter. Both you and Jape are much respected and might I say fondly thought of and as such are afforded the right to be "not perfect" now and again. :P

aye, and i preferred the straight 'bollocks' myself!

i like to question such standards myself as you know

but certainly didn't expect to upset anyone with my little ramble

'bollocks' made me smile

i like discussion in the open

and emotion, even if aggressive

on a forum is at arms length and no blood is let, so we can sometimes go through boundaries

might even agree one day, or meet somewhere at least

to me the valley is a sort of neutral ground for folk that may otherwise disagree severly or even fight from opposing viewpoints

and hairy disputes are fine by me

we might hurt the odd ego

bruise the odd sensitive soul here and there

but we are dealing with realities that are on the boundaries of perception, understanding and belief

certainly of mainstream life anyway

its why we come here

wotth the trials i think

when i was 12, i had a trip in my head after looking through a telescope at stars, and fell asleep and dreamt

travelled the realms and met a guide i would meet again and again

magick of sorts, certainly for a harmed, hurt and lost youngster i was once

i saw planets in a way hard to explain, as powers and souls, crystalline forms

and in that i understood technology, (later as I grew and studied), to be part of nature

satellites of gold and silicon

worked by equations of thought

thats nature and magick, not divorced because we humans touched it

we and all our works, however perverse or complicated or misunderstood

are nature

if you say all we touch is bad, see it so and look from that viewpoint alone, as 'unnatural' you separate yourself

thats often where folk get sad

lost

confused

understanding that and exploring it may help the troubled fit in

to their world which they find alienating

so see that intent and maybe you would say aye, not bollox?

either way

is fine by me

• Like 1

rap

Queen elizabeth 2

murder

world of warfare

etc etc

or try meditation

get a lover

get a microscope

discover 'awe'

its only evolution

Bollocks

I would say no apology needed good sir. Sometimes someone says something and we respond in a way that mood dictates at the time. Other times we engage in wordplay and enjoy the banter. Both you and Jape are much respected and might I say fondly thought of and as such are afforded the right to be "not perfect" now and again. :P

I agree with Sinistra - and I must say it put a smile on my face too - was a bit funny but then that might just be my own sence of humour and bad spelling.

Each to their own path and their own rights to believe in what they will - no one has a right to change anyones mind or ridicule anyone over what they believe.

Thank you for your help I will try get a plant that likes the shade or out to the countryside biggrin.gif

You might try mint, it grows in the shade and smells wonderful :)

i understood technology, (later as I grew and studied), to be part of nature

satellites of gold and silicon

worked by equations of thought

thats nature and magick, not divorced because we humans touched it

we and all our works, however perverse or complicated or misunderstood

are nature

if you say all we touch is bad, see it so and look from that viewpoint alone, as 'unnatural' you separate yourself

thats often where folk get sad

lost

confused

This, I absolutely agree with. I am as much prey to the "untouched = natural = good" opinions that are particularly prevalent on Pagan fora, but it is important to remember, IMO, that at its core, EVERYTHING is natural, or unnatural. The atom is natural, silica is natural, gardens are unnatural. What we've done is make the man-made equate to bad, simply because of how it can be used. Like magick though, it can be used for good and bad. I'm currently looking at a gorgeous little wooden carved box: made of wood = good, fashioned by man - does that make it bad? I've got some great pics of Lewis and Harris on my desk: paper comes from wood = good, right? The skill of the photographer and the hand of the gods in the scenery - to me that's a conjoinment that is worthy of celebration. Everything, absolutely everything around is is part of nature and therefore to me, cannot be separated out into one = good, the other = bad.

This thread has been really interesting and useful for me. I had never really considered that my leanings towards atheism and my exploration of paganism could co-exist, or even be part of the same path. People's comments on here have made me realise I can relax about that far more and let the journey unfold.

Thank you everyone,

ynys

...... reminds me of my Mum and Dad - during the second World War, my Dad was in the navy and far from home for years - they worked out that Orion's Belt of three stars in a row, can be seen all of the time from both Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Their pact was that, whenever they looked up into the sky, they would think of each other and pray for each other (they were xtians)and that they would be together again ... they were ... and my Dad lived to be 78 and my Mum, 88 !

When I was traveling a lot for work I told the children to look at the moon for the same reason :) - made it easier to leave/see me go.

I used to do that with my dad! - well, ok, I still do, even though now he is retired I can phone him anytime, but jsut looking at the moon makes me think of my ole Da. :D

• 2 months later...

I'm loving the idea of using stars as a way of connecting, in my case, with a part of my past. As a kid I was always very close to my Grandad, who had been a Navigator on bombers in the Second World War. Navigators then, without the aid of satnav as we know it today, used the North Star as one of their primary navigation aids. As a kid he showed me ho to recognise the North Star, and wherever I've been in my life, I've always made time to look up to the night skies and look at what he regarded as "his" star, knowing that if he was looking out of his window or standing in his garden or walking back from the pub, he'd be looking at it too :)

Grandad sadly went over earlier this year, and so the North Star has taken on a renewed significance for me. Whenever I look at it now there's an instant connection with him for me, and on some occasions I can almost feel as if he is with me - a kind of warm feeling mixed with butterflies inside my tummy if that makes any sense at all?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have knowledge of paganism but its just every time I try to do a spell or an offering or anything practical I just draw blank! Its like I am not interested in practising or that I am very unsure, though I am pretty sure I am interested blink.gif I don't get it, I get the theory. I know how, I just don't know where to start. I think I just have no idea where to start with anything practical. Can anyone give any starters? I am not looking for spells or anything just more actively... "worshipping" the Gods I suppose happy.gif

This is exactly where I was a few years ago! Nothing worked because I think I lacked any real knowledge! I didn't fully understand what I was doing, and no idea why I was doing it! Inexperience on my part! But you have to make mistakes, it's the way you learn. Right now I still don't have any particular path, but I am taking time to learn about the different sabbats (the Wheel of the Year). I am enjoying learning the different mythology from different paths associated with each sabbat. I am learning about new deities, and finding out what I like. I think I am drawn to Celtic/Norse deities, as well as some Roman and Greek. Learning about the different sabbats is also helping me think more about nature, the different seasons of the year, and especially what cycles the sun and the moon go through (like what happens to them during the equinoxes and solstices).

Back when I was concentrating too much on doing the practical rituals and trying to make offerings, I wasn't thinking at all of nature or how it might be connected! I think I'd completely missed the point! I think the best advice is to take your time, and learn about what interests you. Then later if you want to do a ritual, you will understand why you are doing it, and it will probably have much greater meaning for you.