Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Islandpaul

[BLOGIT]Information Overload, But In A Good Way - There is light ahead

Guest Islandpaul

As i said before, i am back after a long time away. maybe the fact that my work is so intense and focused and my downtime is so solitary i can think like never before.

Let me explain, i think this may be similar to other newbies.

I have since as far as i can remember, not believed in god. As a child this caused many raising of eyebrows and sharp intakes of breath and comments from people saying its just a phase. It was not a strict religious upbringing but believing in god was very much expected. I just couldn't see the point and RE at school was great as i considered it time off and highly amusing watching everyone argue about the bloke on the cross. When things like other religions and history talked about the sun coming up and tides of the sea it always made me think, but that is something i can see and why cant i believe in nature as being the force around us? One RE teacher did do some stuff about this but was told to stop before we became disillusioned!

I have tried to read the books and became lost after some time as most recommended mainstream press concentrates on the general ideals of Paganism and seems to want to be the best at explaining things to you and references the world and his wife without saying an awful lot. Now while i realise there are very good publications out there it is as much of a minefield finding the ones that you need/want/are interested in as the information they contain. This is where i became lost, and i saw a quote on here saying something like, "Paganism just seemed to fit with how i had been feeling for a long time." This quote hit me hard, and thats not an understatement. This quote in another way was contained in the context of Athiest Paganism, i wish i could find it again, but led me charging into the very deep debate on this subject. I think every debate involved Xalle and the ones i have just finished had me going till the small hours but i could just not stop reading.

The point is, understanding the word "path" had caused me a little confusion as i think it is a bit of a label, a needed one though, the thoughts of "what path do i take?" "what is the right path for me?" are all asked so many times in the newbie section that i was hoping i could find something already written to help me, but sadly not and really didn't want to bother the clearly experienced members on here, but things have changed a lot now. As i said, i have been reading some good debates, i am an engineer by trade so this can cloud me quite a bit when i comes to opening my mind but i am learning and some of the things said blew me away and now have a sore neck from nodding so much.

Now while i am not saying the whole thing has opened up in front of me, i think i now understand what direction i need to go in and that instantly narrows down virtually every information source ahead and gives me some focus that i badly needed as now when i see things like a list of gods and godesses names i can say "ah, i'll move on from that one" (please dont think i have dismissed such things as not important)and that is something huge for me. What i'm trying to say is, while i realise there is a massive Pagan world out there it is not all for me. I do wish to learn about it all, but the method i feel most comfortable with is something like getting settled and almost at peace with the way i feel in the area of Paganism that i think suits me. Learn from that and persue it letting it lead me as what i need to know will be revealed as i'm sure over a very long time that doing things this way will prevent the overload and allow me to take it all in. Walking before i can run i suppose but in a very personal way.

I cant even start to describe how much of a revelation the last day has been to me, and there is a very bright light bulb over my head right now. I have goosebumps even talking about it all and just hope my internet holds out and the water lasts (i am in 38 degrees in Sudan at the moment)so i can keep going. Harvest starts here next week so my attention will be all over the place but i now know what i want and that is a unique feeling for me.

Sorry if i rambled on a bit there :huh: I just wish i could type faster as i feel i now how so much to do/say/ask!

Ad from Google

tibbington

You say you struggled with the word "Path", I think you are very much on that path, keep moving, take in what you see & feel but never stand still by keep that learning process going

Moonsmith

Well to start with you are already on your Path - you always have been. Everyone around you is on theirs. It doesn't need a name unless you can find a grouping whose beliefs fit with yours and the group has given it a name. Even when you are in a group you are still on your own path. It can't be otherwise.

I enjoyed wandering long mine wondering where it would take me and discovered that while I meet others at crossroads and fairs and some of them think a little as I do I'm actually a "Tigger" A Druidic Tigger but a Tigger non the less.

............. and the most wonderful thing about Tiggers iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis ........................................

Moonhunter

Well done, hun - and wonderful to here things are working for you! Keep going! :) However, I think this is more of a personal statement than a thread (as such), so i'm going to ask you to blog it. B)

Moonsmith

Well to start with you are already on your Path - you always have been. It doesn't need a name unless you can find a grouping whose beliefs fit with yours and the group has given it a name. Even when you are in a group you are still on your own path. It can't be otherwise.

I enjoyed wandering long mine wondering where it would take me and discovered that while I meet others at crossroads and fairs and some of them think a little as I do I'm actually a "Tigger" A Druidic Tigger but a Tigger non the less.

Well done on discovering it right there under your feet. :lol:

............. and the most wonderful thing about Tiggers