Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest John

A Little Help Please

Guest John

Hi

ive been reading and studying as mush as i can about the pagan way of life.

I would like to chat to anyone who is willing to help me further please.

My path is more spiritual.

Also if anyone has info of festivals etc.

Blessing John

Ad from Google

Fortuna

Just to let you know I have moved this topic from members introductions to the Starters Orders forum. The introductions fizzle out after a while, but in the starters orders forum it will stay around longer and be read by more people.

As to your query I know there are many folk here from who follow many paths and at all levels of experience. I am sure there will be people willing to help to sort out the confused tangle of string which is Paganism! :)

All the best

Mike

Maeve

Hi

Blessing John

Hi John - it can all be very confusing at this stage, can't it? It is a little difficult to know where you might start when you say "the pagan way of life" and that your "path is more spiritual". Are you able to say where your interests are? You see, "pagan" as a description is a very wide word and can mean a slightly different thing to each individual member here. It is also the case that the "festivals" mean different things to different pagans :D

To give you a starter from my point of view: I am a Wiccan, a witch and I also practice Western Mystery Tradition and PLanetary Magic. My festivals as a witch are Yule/Winter Solstice, Imolc in Early February, March Equinox/Eostre, Beltane, Summer Solstice, Lammas, Autumn Equinox and Samhain. Now, there is a lot of information in the threads here for all of those festivals - you can use the "search" facility and the threads with mention of those words will present themelves to you. If you have specific questions, please ask either in a thread or by Messaging a member direct - I am happy to help as, I am sure, are many others here all with their own "pagan" views :D

Naomi

Guest Totally_Goddess

Hi

Blessing John

Hi John, and welcome.

Perhpas it would be useful to outline what you believe and what areas you are looking for information on?

Guest Jeremy

Hi

Blessing John

Hi John. I realise that you might feel as if you've strayed into a deeper part of the pool and everything seems a little strange and frightening - at first. This is natural. For me when I began my quest at the tender age of fourteen - I had just lost my mother to Cancer and my father died with Loblar Pneumonia when I had just turned fourteen - and I was wondering where to turn and who to ask for help besides the maiden Aunt who had been thrust upon me and knew very little about children - even precocious ones like me! I went to visit my Uncle Nat - He was a bit of a dark horse and considered the Black Sheep of the Family, but I went to test the water and find out just how bade he really was. It turned out that He was a Pagan, but not only that, he had a large group of people who came to his meetings on his farm in Delamere, Cheshire. Not far from him was a field which was part of his land called "Eddisbury" which was a celtic burial mound at the top of the high meadow where he kept his horses. I spent a lot of my time here learning things about Rocks, Stones and the Earth that housed these sacred objects. I learned about Earth Magnetism and the Dragon Lines which are sometimes called Lay-lines but are in actual fact magnetic stress lines of force which show up at night sometimes when the Moon is at a particular point in its cycle. For the best part of a year I learned things that made ordinary life for a fourteen/fifteen year old totally different and today, some fifty-five years later, I still learn new things and each new event is like stepping through a Gateway into another world and learning how to work with the natural energies of the Earth and the Planets around us.

There are more books out there online and in the bookshops that can tell you things more eloquently than I, but essentially, you need to find out what rings true for you and what doesn't. Ask around on here - there are some really clever people on here and they may show you something that you really want more than I can give you. Basically, I'm saying that you should have a look around and weigh up the for's and against's of what you want out of your spiritual life and, if by chance you don't find what you want, then I'm always here to help you out should you really need it. I said when I joined here that I don't want to tread on any toes that may be belonging to people who need members more than perhaps I do. But as I say, if you don't find what your looking for, I'm always here somewhere and can help you if you need further instruction.

Pomona

I think a point worth bearing in mind is that because there is no single "paganism" there is no "pagan way of life".

You are a Pagan. Your way of life is therefore Pagan. Your Paganism is different to my Paganism because we will not necessarily have the same outlook, the same gods, the same beliefs. So we will not necessarily share the same festivals etc. There are a set of festivals called the "Wheel of the Year" which is a fairly modern concoction but is a helpful method of dividing up the year into its different phases:

Yule: 21st/ 22nd Dec (the Winter Solstice) and observed by many different paths because of the astrological importance and the fact that it indicates longer days, shorter nights.

Imbolc - means "in the milk": the first signs of stirring, when lambs start to be born, when snowdrops appear, a festival to honour Brighid.

Ostara - the Vernal Equinox. 21st/ 22nd March. When day and night are of equal length, but with the days now becoming be longer than the night.

Beltane - 30th April. The burgeoning of fertility. The start of Summer :)

Midsummer - 21st/ 22nd June. The Summer Solstice. The longest day.

Lammas: 1st August. The beginning of the harvest.

Mabon: 21st/ 22nd September: the beginning of the end of the harvest. The Autumnal Equninox. From the next day the night length will outstrip the day

Samhain: the beginning of Winter. The end of the harvest. The time when the veil between the worlds is thin. A time to remember the ancestors.

Yule :D

It's all a cycle, you see, but depending on your beliefs you may not adhere to that calendar and will have variations. And that's okay, I follow a Religio Romana path and that has different (and numerous) festivals during the year which I acknowledge in different ways, for example I spent a day Spring Cleaning in honour of the Vestalia :D

It's a personal path, peculiar to each individual, so read up, and go outside and listen, because the Wheel is meant to reflect nature, so you may find that you want to celebrate the first bluebells in May, or the first leaf-fall. Or the flowering of the plants associated with your gods.

Just, pay attention, because if you look, really look, and really listen, it will all reveal itself to you :)

Guest John

I would like to thank everyone for their time in helping me out.

Don't know what path i'll be going down yet.

I will just go with the flow and see where i'll end up.

smile.png

Fortuna

Now that sounds like a good plan. I think when people are new it can feel a bit like being in a shipwreck where one wants to grab the first thing which floats by. Thats a most natural impulse....... but there really is no need. I think it is best to go with the flow and enjoy the scenery. The journey is just as important as any destination...... possibly more so.

Mike

Moonhunter

I'm a Heathen. first and foremost, it seems to mean 'bloody-minded' :P

However, technically (in the UK) it means a follower of the pre-Christian religion of England and other countries bordering the North Sea.

And we don't use the wheel of the Year - we use the festivals that ancient Heathens used. But we squabble about what a lot of these were - or ment. Just as we squabble with our gods. :lol:

• Like 1

Freydis

smile.png

That sounds good to me. There's no need to hurry to define a path, plenty of Pagans never give their path a name. As Mike says, the journey is at least as important as the destination, maybe more so - enjoy! :)

Badger Bob

There is a very good book out there called Pagan Paths by Pete Jennings (its so useful even libraries have it). It outlines the main paths with a little bit of background, a few things to do in order to get a feel for the basics and gives places to find more info (although they are a bit out of date now). Even if you are not seeking any specific path it can be useful to know about how they work, eclectics have to get their material from somewhere.

buggirl

Pagan paths is an ace book! Changed my life!

BOTW

Pagan Paths is OK as an intro book but I found the section on shamanism disapointingly narrow, being more focussed on shamanism based on practices from the americas rather than those closer to the UK. There's also plenty of info on the web of course but it can be difficult to wade through everything. I would suggest some of the info at http://www.shamanism.dk/library.htm may be useful to those wanting to learn more about shamanism. I've also attached a little intro doc.

as said above, the wisest thing is to go with where life's flow takes you (have you read the tao of pooh?). Go out and experience nature and don't worry if you cant put a label on your path. it's not what you call it that counts, its what you feel and do.

if there are any moots near you that can also be a way of learning about different paths and it can be refreshing to talk about spiritual things with people who have similar understandings.

good luck and enjoy the journey

Shamanism part 1.doc

Edited by BOTW