Talbot Michaels

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

First Steps

Guest Wiganer

I'm taking my first tentative steps in pagansim, I am open minded about where I am heading but would like a few pointers. I know there is something out there waiting for me but where do I begin? Can anyone recommend any good books on the subject? I'm more interested in settling my spirit down and the naturistic (I mean in the Gaia sense not the running around in the buff stuff) side, however I am open to anything. Any other tips anyone can give would be most appreciated too.

Thanks

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Moving this to the Starters Orders forum :)

I'm assuming you've had a look in the threads in the Starters Orders, Wiganer? There are a fair number which cover just what you've asked so you'll find some useful pointers there :)

What is it that draws you to Paganism? That's your starting point. Is it the connection to nature? Then get out and be amongst it, grow things, observe the change of the seasons, the farmland that changes colour, the leaves turning on the trees, the tides, the cloud formations.

Is it mythology? Which mythology interests you? Greek? Anglo Saxon? Read the myths and legends of the gods.

Find out the folklore of your area, visit some ancient sites and experience the wights (spirits) of the place.

Have a look in our Bookworms Section as we have a lot of recommendations there, but it is difficult to know what to recommend to you without knowing much about where your interests lie. I generally recommend Pete Jennings "Pagan Paths" which is a good overview of some of the main pagan paths. Also try Ronald Hutton - his Stations of the Sun is a terrific insight into the myth that has build up around the festivals of today that get called "Pagan" but for which there is no authentic proof. Also his Triumph of the Moon, which is a great look at modern Paganism. But more specific recommendations will depend on what you're really interested in :)

I'd suggest you get out in nature and amongst the environments that inspire you most, and make you feel most connected. I

• Like 1

I feel more connected when I am in a natural environment. I don't know if it is 'God', 'Nature' or a.n other cause. I know when reading fiction (The Silmarillion is one of my favourites) I am always drawn to stories that have multiple spirits or Gods and this is what got me interested in paganism.

I will have a good look round the new starter thread though before bothering anyone with more questions though, sorry about posting to the wrong thread!.

posting to the wrong sub-forum is fine - we can always move it :)

You'll find lots of threads in the Starters section asking exactly your sort of questions - so you should find a lot of good stuff here :)

Not at all, it takes a bit of getting used to :)

And you're not bothering anyone, simply that there is a lot of stuff that supplants anything you'll be answered with just now if you ask. We've been about 11 years so there is a lot of information and people who were about then may not be about now. So it's just so that you get as much out of the site as possible :)

You might enjoy reading things like the myths of the Greek and Roman Gods, and the stories about the Norse ones. The gods are very different depending on what part of the world they come from, and so there are endless numbers of rich and interesting stories about them :)

You might enjoy reading things like the myths of the Greek and Roman Gods, and the stories about the Norse ones. The gods are very different depending on what part of the world they come from, and so there are endless numbers of rich and interesting stories about them :)

Yes, Greek and Norse gods do interest me deeply, I think Norse more so with it's northern European tinge. I might investigate English stories first though. Will give "Pagan Paths" a read, thanks for the recommendation, it looks exactly what I am looking for. A few different topics, see if any call to me especially strongly.

I'm also having my first few tenative steps, and I've found it's helped me to be as open and aware of the natural world as I possibly can - talking to the elements, stopping to rest my hand on trees, brushing my hand along flowers - anything like that. I've made detours so I can see the hills to the north and the sea to the south, and it's brought some helpful insights into my own beliefs. I've found myself smiling more, and chatting to strangers more often. I've been connecting.

I have a helpful Pagan friend who looked over the books available in my local library and recommended a few for me to start.

Payday today :o_razz: so ordered Pete Jennings "Pagan Paths" from amazon, I do feel bad buying books on-line but I'm really keen to get started and don't want to wait to find a decent bookshop that would sell it. Used to be so much easier when I worked in Bolton, they had a wonderful little bookshop that's closed down now unfortunately.

I hope you enjoy your new book when it arrives.

I'm only a few steps along my new path too,but a tip I was given was to get a notebook or something similar so you can write down thoughts,experiences and things that interest you,then at least you don't lose track and you can see where you are,mine is constantly changing which is what makes it interesting.

Take care.

Walking home from town today, took a deliberate detour home via the canal path, there is an old tree at the side of the road, I decided to stroke it's branches and just enjoy being with it. :o_embarrased: At first I felt like a bit of a wierdo for doing it, but then I felt a connection to it. Can't explain it yet but I felt the joy of the tree if that makes sense. Beautiful.

At first I felt like a bit of a wierdo for doing it,

Now that is a huge leap down the Pagan path. As someone said earlier (think it was Pomona) you might well do better not to worry about Pagan books at the moment, but concentrate on your own instinctual feel for nature. When you read a book about Paganism you are rarely reading truth..... just the opinions of others. Some writers may be wise and respected, but in Paganism is the the gut which is often the best teacher of all. You like nature? Study nature! A pair of binoculars..... a few reference books and some spare time on a riverbank will probably be the best teaching you can get at this stage. I've said this before, but when people start out in Paganism they often feel it is important to identify with an established Pagan path and many grab the first thing which seems good to them only to spend a lot of time and energy later on extricating themselves and finding out what they really believe. It is fine not to walk a path trodden by many others (or any others for that matter). Don't be in a rush....... don't go on a God hunt...... and don't confuse books on Paganism as gospels. :)

Chill out and take your time.

All the best to you

Mike

At first I felt like a bit of a wierdo for doing it,

Now that is a huge leap down the Pagan path. As someone said earlier (think it was Pomona) you might well do better not to worry about Pagan books at the moment, but concentrate on your own instinctual feel for nature. When you read a book about Paganism you are rarely reading truth..... just the opinions of others. Some writers may be wise and respected, but in Paganism is the the gut which is often the best teacher of all. You like nature? Study nature! A pair of binoculars..... a few reference books and some spare time on a riverbank will probably be the best teaching you can get at this stage. I've said this before, but when people start out in Paganism they often feel it is important to identify with an established Pagan path and many grab the first thing which seems good to them only to spend a lot of time and energy later on extricating themselves and finding out what they really believe. It is fine not to walk a path trodden by many others (or any others for that matter). Don't be in a rush....... don't go on a God hunt...... and don't confuse books on Paganism as gospels. :)

Chill out and take your time.

All the best to you

Mike

I really like this piece of advice. I have read quite a few books (from the library) and I've found that quite a few of them contradict one another. So I'm done on the reading part for now. Hence why I ventured here to read people's personal experience and opinions. I've always been very connected to nature. Long walks in parks and drives to the countrysides (Scotland is amazing for it!)

Infact since I was a young teen, I've had a fascination with touching plants, and grass and trees. I've always thought I was a tad 'unusual' enjoying it so much. Even walking down the street, and I pass a garden, I stop and if I can I gently touch the flowers. (I get some strange looks from my husband, I can tell you!) I have spent hours and hours reading the forum since I joined. And I am thoroughly enjoying reading all the posts here.

So with your opinion, Mike. I think I've in a way, been heading in the right direction for a long time. Next steps for me, will be studying nature through reference books.

(Wrong place to say this, but I am really enjoying and valuing everyones input here. And am thankful for this forum being in place, and will subscribe to support it when I get paid.)

I do have a lovely garden, should grow some of my own food really. Hard work though with full time job and three under 6's. Need motivations :D

My plan is to read the pagan paths books, just as a taster and to get some ideas, then merrily do my own thinking and walking.

Theres nothing wrong with stroking trees Wiganer, I've been patting tree trunks all my life and I don't care who sees me do it. I've been coming over all "prince charles" with plants since I can remember. I think their neurological systems are far more developed than most people give them credit for and they appreciate the interaction.

Enjoy travelling down your new path and most of all don't worry if the path you end up on isn't clear cut and easily defined by descriptions in books or other stuff you read. IMO your path is your own, you are the one on it and nobody else

I'm going to use the book like an ordinance survey map, see where other people have been, check out any routes that seem to interest me but hopefully find a path and location no-one else has seen before, or maybe view it from a different angle. Feel so energized at the moment, just want to go out and admire the natural world.

And, don't forget, you don't necessarily have to *go* anywhere. I sit in an office all day in a suburb in Edinburgh. I observe the sky; the different trees; the weeds that grow on the pathways and identifying them as plants and look up what their usage/ folklore is; the mist the descends to cover the hill; and the birds that dot around the rooftop opposite looking for food. Pied wagtails, jackdaws, carrion crows, thrushes, long-tailed tits. In winter I watch starlings in their formations against the sky. In fact, on the roof of the bit of the building next to me, is a seagulls nest and I've been watching something I've felt privileged to witness: the parents building their nest, incubating their eggs, and rearing their chicks, and watching the chicks fledge. I observe the sun moving around the building to start at one side of me and set on the other. I watch the changing shape of the Moon in Winter as she moves in her endless cycles around. All from my desk out my window. Nature is all around us, sometimes we just need to actually pay attention... ;)

Oooh, was in Edinburgh a couple of times the first week in June, stayed in a lodge near Selkirk and drove up a few times, went to see camera obscurer and the castle. The site we stayed at was wonderful, 43 minutes drive to get a mobile signal :-D