Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
UK Pagan

[Witches' Voice] Creating Magic With Candles [Kael]

UK Pagan

If youÂ’ve ever made a wish and blown out a candle on your birthday cake, youÂ’ve participated in a very ancient form of candle magic. The tradition of placing candles on birthday cake began long ago. Early Greek citizens used to place lit candles on cakes to make them glow like the moon. Today, it is thought that these early people believed that the smoke from the blown-out candles released their magic and carried their prayers to the gods. ThatÂ’s right. Even when you were a small child,

View the full article

Ad from Google

Moonhunter

This article attracted me attention for a number of reasons. Hastily passing over the strange assertion that candles were used by early Greeks on birthday cakes :wacko: I remember all sorts of issues outlined by the article arising when I used candles.

Take the colour thing. My first inclination these days when reading "this colour means this..." is : who says? Who dictated these colour associations?

Another thing is - most candles sold now only have a colour coating on the outside. They are not really 'that' colour. You have to go hunting for a candle that is a solid colour throughout. I prefer solid colours, but what do you prefer - if you use candles for magic? And why?

I don't generally bother with what colour means to other people - I use what I have to hand that suits me. But i just don't like candles that have a colour on the outside only. I'd prefer white. Maybe that's just me. ;)

I think the author has a fairly good idea about the use of writing on paper and burning it, though I wouldn't do that with a candle (I'd use a cauldron or firepit). Again - does anyone else use a candle this way?

Xalle

Personally I like candle magick and I specifically go for the ones with a colour coat rather than solid. I etch my working/intent into the candle and let it work as it burns through. I also think if colour is not important to the need and herbs are, it's hard to beat the wax sheets you can roll stuff into.

I am with you on the whole colour thing. It's such nonsense. I choose whatever colour feels right for the task at hand and it never seems to chime with the suggestions made in books. :D As for burning using a candle.. well sure I've done that and writing paper is usually what I use so yeah... but the rest just feels like someone is trying to do what people do with tarot cards too... making out the cards themselves are important and it's nothing to do with that other than, connection.

People putting the emphasis in the wrong place.