Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
UK Pagan

[Wiccan Web] People Prefer Repetitious and Time-consuming Spells

UK Pagan

By Lauren Davis <p>Many people around the world believe in magic spells and rituals, but that doesn’t mean that it’s enough to wave a wand and mutter a few unpronounceable words to convince a believer that the magic will work. A new study out of Brazil suggests that people are most likely to believe in . . . → Read More: People Prefer Repetitious and Time-consuming Spells

View the full article

Ad from Google

Moonhunter

Why am I not surprised by this? And yet - there are (or used to be) loads of spells that basically involved lighting a candle or reciting a few words and there you are - instant success!

This seems to be the opposite of that - the more you reopeat something, and the longer it takes, the more success you will have.

Am I alone in thinking that both approaches are false? And am I in a minority in thinking that any approaches will be false for most people?

Do most folks believe that anyone can do it, so long as they - somehow - get the right words, or the right actions, or take long enough, or... ;)

Moonhunter

anyone else have any opinions on this? I'm surprised if not ;)

Freebird

Not a great one for spells/magic, but surely, at the end of the day what matters is the intent that goes in to a working; whether it's a long complicated one for a very specific result, or a short sharp call for protection.

The other question I'd ask is why do you need to repeat it? If it doesn't work on the first attempt, why would it work after several? or is it a case of practice makes perfect?

Edited by Freebird

Guest ioan

Maybe repeating some rituals/spells is seen as having a cumulative effect?

Does it make a difference, and if so how, depending on which 'model' of magic you subscribe to?

I say model, I can't remember where I heard it; the Energy model, Spirit model, Psychological model etc. I think there were eight described by Leyland somewhere??? Many may overlap.

Personally, I find magical effectiveness or consciousness comes from my devotional work. It's ongoing, relationships with the gods being the key. I dabble in sympathetic magic (not very ritualised or complex) with generally unpredictable results, if there are any results at all!!!

Runic magic and divination I find easier to grasp, and again less ritualised, but the bulk of my magical practice is devotional work, ranging from sharing a pint with Woden to a full rite with groaning altar, choking incense and strong beer! For me it's less about empirical result, and more about listening to the gods, and what they want in this relationship. It's ongoing and constant, not timed to Uranus or dependent on certain coloured candles.They may show me in General Weirdness manifesting, synchronicity, overheard conversation etc. Ritual gesture, wording etc is usually kept to a minimum.

TBH, I think overly complex, time-consuming spells are an excuse to buy/sell overpriced spell kits and ceramic unicorns to young occultists. And that cr*p is tacky ;-)

Moonhunter

Does it make a difference, and if so how, depending on which 'model' of magic you subscribe to?

I say model, I can't remember where I heard it; the Energy model, Spirit model, Psychological model etc. I think there were eight described by Leyland somewhere??? Many may overlap.

No idea. I just do the work. ;)

I know that sounds superficial, but the truth is, I've been around the block with a few theories (I haven't come across Leyland - or whoever - and none of them seem a good fit, so I junked them. I don't have the time or inclination to figure out why it works - I am more concerned with getting it right on the night, so to speak.

Personally, I find magical effectiveness or consciousness comes from my devotional work. It's ongoing, relationships with the gods being the key. .. the bulk of my magical practice is devotional work, ranging from sharing a pint with Woden to a full rite with groaning altar, choking incense and strong beer! For me it's less about empirical result, and more about listening to the gods, and what they want in this relationship.

Hmm... sort of, for me. These days, I always ask if anyone is interested in a piece of magic work. I don't try anything if there is no interest, because it rarely works. It's part (not all) of feeling whether the wyrd is right to tweak.

the other stuff - the day-to-day relationship with the gods, is not (for me) anything to do with magic. that's just the relationship.

TBH, I think overly complex, time-consuming spells are an excuse to buy/sell overpriced spell kits and ceramic unicorns to young occultists. And that cr*p is tacky ;-)

I don't do complex (on the whole), but many of my best spells have been immensely time consuming. Mainly for the focus, though the work itself sometimes - if needed - takes that long.

Guest ioan

O gods I said Leyland! Sorry, meant Buckland! Sorry, brain-fart happened :)

Maeve

It seems to me that the research in the article was with people who are not pagans - or who do not have an understanding of magic as many of us do - I may be wrong!

IME both simple and complex work can work - neither sort always work! Many day-to-day simple magics work ... quite simply, such as anticipating finding a car-parking space just where you need it - nearly always works and when it doesn't and I think back why, it is because I got blase and lost focus :)

When doing more complex work for an important issue, I (and anyone working with me) spend a great deal of time in thought and preparation - lack of the latter results in either nothing happening or unpleasant consequences! The work itself may not then be long-winded. Like Moonhunter, I have come to understand that it is far more productive to ask if anyone is prepared to help - god, goddess, spirit of place, ancestors - rather than to select, for example, a deity and request their presence and help! This latter practice I have come to see as extremely rude on the basis of "who the hell are we to demand the assistance of a deity (or other spiritual being) on short notice"? Far better to establish a relationship with spiritual entities who come knocking on my door, rather than the other way around - and massively more effective. If no-one responds when you ask if there is anyone interested in helping, I think you can safely assume that the magic is unlikely to work.

The most potent of magic that I have experienced, is egyptian practice which is complex, raw and virtually instant - it has also come at great cost over a period of three years, now hopefully, dissipating. I do not regret that I did the work but as sure as can be, I will not do it again without great need!

So, I neither agree nor disagree with the research - pity they did not do controlled research with those who do work magic!

Edited by Naomi