Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Correspondences For Tarot

Guest Dawn

Would like to share thoughts on correspondences for tarot and/or for general elemental association, for example in Wiccan circle casting.... For instance I read that North is usually associated with winter and Earth when people cast circle or invoke the elements, but in tarot work Earth or Pentacles for me personally is associated with autumn.... What do other people think and/or do?

Thank you

Dawn

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I never think about seasons when invoking the elements . I look on them as a spirit and I also call on the 5th which is mine .So the seasons do not come into it, I am trying to follow a path as the they would have done 5000 years ago I am trying to think like them. I try to look at things as they would, so north, south, east, and west do not come in to it. I think it is like all things,ask 4 different people and you will get 4 different answers , with Wicca and other monolithic paths things are set in stone by there founders but even then they do not agree. In the end do it the way you have been taught or taught yourself ,because if you change to there way .some else will do it the same as what you have changed from.

Glenn

As a Gardnerian Wiccan (whose path is neither "monolithic" nor "set in stone", we do not overtly consider seasons when calling the elements in the four quarters. However, the seasons are honoured by turning the wheel of the year so that, season by season, we have an opportunity for ritual observation.

Off topic but since it was raised by Edge Rider: not all Wiccans rigidly follow what was represented to us by Gardner and Sanders because our Craft is a mystery tradition that requires experience which, as a consequence of experience, changes the way we develop and practice ......... Neither Gardner nor Sanders ever said in Xtian-type instruction: this is the way, walk ye in it :)

So Naomi, is it the case that North is where the altar would usually be, and is North usually associated with Earth? I suppose I am trying to be more specific for Tarot work more than anything else... And I didn't mean to start a discussion about what is and isn't monolithic... I am interested in how different people experience connecting spiritually with nature, I think Paganism and Wicca are fluid and dynamic, this is the reason I feel attracted to both, because they are open. There is no dogma as in the 'religions of the book'.....

I was taught that the altar is usually in the North although, for some ritual purposes, it can be in the East or the Centre! I most usually have my altar in the North. The elements as we use them are: North - Earth, East - Air, South - Fire and West - Water. That used to be it but nowadays, we also acknowledge Spirit in the Centre and also make the circle three-dimensional including "above and below". However, there are those who attribute the elements differently, usually changing the positions of Fire and Air ........

I appreciate that you did not comment on anything "monolithic" but where misconceptions about Wicca (and there are very many of those) appear, I feel the need to give a response from my own knowledge and experience :) - that is all!

You can do what you want with Tarot. The "associations" are recent creations as far as i can track - they seem to have been invented by Mathers/the OGD or others after that. Some might be no older than 50 years. But then, Tarot, like all cards, was originally a game, and only later used for divination. So it's up to you.

I invented a tarot for my latest novel and created new suits - ships, horns, torches and staves. It really doesn't matter what associations you put to things, so long as they mean something to you. You can use any system you want. :)

Oh - and it's the same with altars. I have two or three in my tiny house, all over the place. When I work magic I tend to use the coffee table. I never use altars for work. It's all what works for you. ;)

• Like 2

So many ideas, I also like above and below. That is something that can definitively enrich Tarot interpretation. So thank you.....:)