Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

The Power Of Places

Roots

There are two very special and very beautiful places that I have spent my whole life visiting - I return to them often. Both have open spaces and very old woods, high places and low spaces, water and air. Both have ancient history.

Both have always felt like they have a power and a presence far beyond my understanding. As a boy, the happiest times were often there. In latter years when times are good, I take my family to share in the joy and wonder of them. When I am troubled I visit alone and i find peace. It angers and saddens me in equal measure when I see these beautiful places abused by the others that visit them.

I'd like to do more - to connect, to learn, to venerate, to enjoy them even more for the rest of my life - but how?

I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

To be honest I'm not sure I can really suggest anything more than you already do: go there, experience it, give thanks to the wights for the peace you find there. I don't know if you've read Emma Restall Orr's Druid Priestess but she describes her feelings about her grove in the way that you do, and her connection with it is deepened by her spending time there, becoming part of it, feeling it, understanding the energies around it etc. I think the essence of it all is just simply going there and spending time in it - the rest will flow.

• Like 1

You could try learning the ecology of the place, what plants and other creatures live there? I find that you notice things more when you have something to call them.Learn about the soil and the rainfall and the human history of the place. So it's not chanting in the moonlight and waiting for the numinous but tbh I think it's worth simply having some basic academic knowledge of a place.

• 2 weeks later...

When I go to my special places, I always take a bag with me to carry away any rubbish that selfish people have left there.

But the other side of this is that I take my own things to leave there. Nothing that anyone else would notice. Semi-precious stones, small things I have made out of twigs and leaves from my garden. And I bring back similar things to put in my garden. So there is a bit of the place around my garden altar, and something from my garden there. It all helps to build up a relationship with places where I go to meditate and be with the spirits of the places. So the places can live in my mind even when I am elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To be honest I'm not sure I can really suggest anything more than you already do: go there, experience it, give thanks to the wights for the peace you find there. I don't know if you've read Emma Restall Orr's Druid Priestess but she describes her feelings about her grove in the way that you do, and her connection with it is deepened by her spending time there, becoming part of it, feeling it, understanding the energies around it etc. I think the essence of it all is just simply going there and spending time in it - the rest will flow.

Based on your response, I'm just waiting on delivery of 'Druid Priestess' right now, Pom! Got it second hand on Amazon for a fiver - a little Yule pressie pour moi.

Not a specifically pagan book but have you ever read The Living Mountain by Nan Shepherd? Wonderful book on the power of place, beautifully written. It's specifically about the Cairngorns but the awareness translates to anywhere, I think.

Also really really (really) recommend Robert Macfarlane in general. Here's a lovely interview with him to give you a sense: http://thebrowser.com/interviews/robert-macfarlane-on-wild-places

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Aranya thank you very much for the recommendations and the link - loved the interview and definitely following up on many of the books introduced.

I've had some great walks through the cairngorns and the lake district but then I've also always been intrigued by the ancient pathways that spread across Britain. I seem to have spent much of my years very close to or travelling the same journeys as the Peddars Way. So Roberts trilogy looks to have me enthralled for a couple of months I'd say........

I agree and love what others have already suggested here. When I feel connected to a place, I love to find out more about it by researching it. I also love spending time being there, and I'll sometimes take a notebook to write, or a sketchbook to draw. I find that being inspired by something is the most divine experience I can sometimes have. And sometimes, the place speaks through my works and I write or draw things I never would have created on my own. :)

• 1 month later...

I open myself up to connect to the wights of the place.

This is brilliant, I've been toying with the idea of posting something very similar - love this forum :)