Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Getting In Touch With Nature

Guest Solstice_3

I decided to do the whole get out in nature and connect thing tonight. Feel a bit deflated as didn't really feel connected. I went out in my back garden, put some incense on and sat and closed my eyes and did some breathing, listened to the sounds which was mostly cars from a big road somewhere, but did hear little sounds too. Couldn't see the moon as it's a sliver :( To be fair it was cold and damp and I kept waiting for my neighbour to come out and ask me WTF I was doing but I gave it a good 15 minutes of observing and listening eyes not continously closed as it was too cold to meditate - what was I thinking!!!

So what next? Keep doing the same thing, change anything? Thoughts appreciated :)

Edited for spelling

Edited by Solstice_3

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I tend to find it really difficult to get connected in my home, perhaps its because being there reminds me of all chores I ought to be doing, I'm not sure.

You might want to try going for a short walk somewhere secluded, somewhere that allows you to take your mind off everything in your everyday life. As for staying warm, I just make sure I'm wearing some thermals before I go out into the woods at night in winter time! lol

Edited by Seaxneat

Problem is I can only really go out alone at night as in the daytime I have my little boy with me and he is too young (1 yr) to appreciate just sitting in a place and at night I need to feel safe cause I'm a wimp lol

Maybe I'll try again when the Moon next shows her face and wrap up warmer :)

Ah, ok, yeah Im sure he wouldn't be too thrilled at the prospect of freezing his little toes off in the dark, lol. Obviously it depends on how big your garden is, but how about setting up a small table under a cheapie gazebo if the thought of the neighbours seeing you is putting you off? Just a suggestion.

Edited by Seaxneat

I was thinking about hiding at the bottom of the garden, it is concrete but I could put a shelf up and bring some lanterns out etc. I guess just sitting in a chair outside regularly will get me and the garden aquianted. Will think on it some more :)

I usually feel the most connected when I'm not trying, just walking home from work, stuff like that. I too have been predominately enjoying nature at night due to my schedule. So I've discovered taking photos of the bare trees lit up by street lights. It's made me look at stuff around me in a completely different way :)

I would say, don't force it. ;)

A few suggestions: think of somewhere that calls to you, in the sense of a place you like, that makes you feel peaceful, or good. If you ca drive, and the place is accessible by car, then drive there and stay in your car. Wind down the window. If you feel safe enough to get out, then get out, otherwise stay in. years ago, I kept my sanity when my then husband had a long-term major illness by stopping the car on the way to work in an old aerodrome. The place was all fields and the road ran through them. I wound down the window and listened to the larks and the bees for fifiteen minutes or so.

If your house and garden is the only real accessible place, then can you (as you suggest) make the garden - or part of it - a little wilderness, or whatever would make you feel comfortable and more connected?

This may sound odd, but you don't have to go outside. You could - especially in the winter - pick a quiet room. Again, you could sit by the window and open it. Or not. If you feel a connection with the moon and the room lets in moonlight, all the better. Perhaps you can obtain nature pictures. I search the web for them and have them as changing pictures on my laptop, when it's inactive. Or perhaps you have a picture in the house.

I think it's a great idea to use smells. But don't feel you ought to be doing this that or the other if it makes you feel uncomfortable. First steps should be as comfortable as possible, or else you'll get discouraged. You should want to do something - not have to brace yourself to do it ;)

What MH suggests :)

I'd also say that you can be just as connected just by noticing things. I'm always pointing out to Vert (hubby) things like buzzards high up, a heron at the side of the road camouflaged by grasses, the colour of the trees etc that he just doesn't pay any attention to normally.

We have bird feeders and really enjoy watching the coal tits, goldfinches etc who come into the garden and how they behave etc.

When you go out with your son you could see what birds there are and try and identify them, and leaves from trees, the shape of the bare branches etc etc.

Nature is all around, sometimes you just need to open your eyes :)

I usually feel the most connected when I'm not trying, just walking home from work, stuff like that. I too have been predominately enjoying nature at night due to my schedule. So I've discovered taking photos of the bare trees lit up by street lights. It's made me look at stuff around me in a completely different way :)

This. I find that I'm most connected when I'm not trying to be. I don't have to be sitting still, in fact some of my most profound experiences have come about when I'm out walking and my children have been with me. My advice would be to relax and not to try too hard - if you don't feel comfortable doing something it's not going to work. :)

I feel most connected walking through the woods with the dog, it just sort of happens naturally then. What about trying the same thing with baby and pram? I know you can't do that at night but it could get you into 'training' for going out into your garden at night and while you're doing that you might think of something that would help.

Thinking on it I do feel different when walking to work on the early mornings or late nights, especially when there are no cars or people are about.

I would say, don't force it. ;)

I do have a bad habit of being impatient in some cases. I've been away from it for so long and just wanted to get back to the way things used to be but I was in a different place then figuratively and literally. So I need to just be and relax, something I will have to work on ;)

What MH suggests :)

I'd also say that you can be just as connected just by noticing things. I'm always pointing out to Vert (hubby) things like buzzards high up, a heron at the side of the road camouflaged by grasses, the colour of the trees etc that he just doesn't pay any attention to normally.

We have bird feeders and really enjoy watching the coal tits, goldfinches etc who come into the garden and how they behave etc.

When you go out with your son you could see what birds there are and try and identify them, and leaves from trees, the shape of the bare branches etc etc.

Nature is all around, sometimes you just need to open your eyes :)

I do like to stop and watch the birds in the garden, I can be in such a rush when I'm out and maybe I need to slow down and smell the roses so to speak.

I feel most connected walking through the woods with the dog, it just sort of happens naturally then. What about trying the same thing with baby and pram? I know you can't do that at night but it could get you into 'training' for going out into your garden at night and while you're doing that you might think of something that would help.

I do have a nice park by a river that I like to visit we stopped and watched the squirrels the other day, I'll try and make a habit of going there more often :)

Edited by Solstice_3

What about getting a baby carrier, sticking junior on your back and heading for the hills? Worked a treat when my lad was little. Its not really the weather now but when it warms up take a blanket and a few nibbles and the both of you can chill amongst the trees. Connecting with nature whilst connecting as a family - the perfect combo :-)

What about getting a baby carrier, sticking junior on your back and heading for the hills? Worked a treat when my lad was little. Its not really the weather now but when it warms up take a blanket and a few nibbles and the both of you can chill amongst the trees. Connecting with nature whilst connecting as a family - the perfect combo :-)

It is a good idea but my Son is a heavy 1 year old and wouldn't do sitting on a blanket. The hills are unfortunatly too far from where I live in a smallish town. DH is planning on learning to drive so when he does and my DS is walking, soon we hope, then I hope we will be taking family trips up to the Woods often - can't wait actually! As soon as my Son is walking properly and not crawling everywhere I shall be taking him out more often to run around but at the moment he is still in the put everything in mouth stage and people don't seem to care about nature in my town so there are cigarette ends and litter everywhere.

I know it sounds like I am making excuses but I do plan on letting him run free (ish) as soon as I can ^_^

Edited because I can't seem to spell!

Edited by Solstice_3

If you can't get to nature can you bring nature to your back garden? It's time to start feeding the winter birds if you can, something as simple as a saucer of water and a saucer of seed can bring the smaller birds in for a feed. Just sitting and trying to connect can be like sitting in front of a computer and expecting it to show you the internet, sometimes you have to get in there and switch it on for yourself. I don't know what your garden is like but mine is home to all sorts of creepy crawlies and wee beasties. Learning a bit about them and just observing them going about their daily lives makes me feel a part of the whole system and what is more it's cheap, easily available and will help immensely with Junior's schoolwork in a few years.

I've always worried about feeding the birds because of my cats, one of which is a bird killer :( I know it's in their nature but still don't want to encourage it. Maybe a fat ball hanging off our rotary washing line might be an idea? The neighbours have a bird bath so we're all good there.

I've always worried about feeding the birds because of my cats, one of which is a bird killer :(

That too is part of nature, no-one said it had to be all cosy...

I am of the opinion that humans themselves are a part of nature whether they like it or not. We have a tendency to think that, in building cities and inventing things, mankind has somehow divorced himself from the rest of the natural world. I don't believe that is so and, as such, I feel I can 'get in touch with nature' simply by getting in touch with my fellow man.

Just simply by living and all that goes with it, eating, sleeping, chatting, arguing, working, weeping, fighting, fucking, I am connecting with nature through the medium of the rest of humanity (who are also a part of nature).

I like a walk out in the countryside as much as the next fellow (my childhood in Lincolnshire would have been hellish had I not), but I don't feel that I have to go hug a tree or talk to a rhododendron to get any closer to nature. I'm already there, if only I let myself perceive the natural world around me.

The laws of nature don't cease to exist within the confines of a town or city, we just try to make the consequences of those laws a little easier to live with (central heating, anyone?)

Nature is more than trees and furry animals, it is also wind and cold, stars and planets, black holes, and 'dark matter'. But people often forget that.

It is also 'fight or flight', 'survival of the fittest', birth, reproduction and death. Many of those I can experience down the pub and enjoy a good porter at the same time. Yum.

So, getting to the point finally, don't worry if sitting in your garden getting cold and feeling daft didn't do it for you. You're a part of nature already.

I've always worried about feeding the birds because of my cats, one of which is a bird killer :(

That too is part of nature, no-one said it had to be all cosy...

Yeah I know :)

So, getting to the point finally, don't worry if sitting in your garden getting cold and feeling daft didn't do it for you. You're a part of nature already.

Thanks makes sense.

Just got to stop trying so hard and go with the flow ;)

• Like 1

'connecting with your inner you is a good start, listen to your body, understanding it's needs and then following your intuative self to guide you'

this is how I started down the path of my search for balance and calmness

your body is of nature it will guide you

the mind is very much like a television, changing channels, undecided, unguided...............

being connected to yourself through body you can then learn to start controlling your mind, guiding your focus on needs and desires

being one with you is being one with all, find your centre, view life through focused and calm loving eyes

the world around us is ours appreciate it, for it will do so in return

blessed be

Edited by darrpeds