Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Do Some Gods Like To Pretend Not To Be A God?

Guest fizzyclare1

well, do they?

I mean do gods like to hide their identity sometimes? i mean apart from being downright mischievous would they do it for a purpose?

just wonderin...hope you dont mind me askin.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I always get the impression of eye-rolling when I refer to the Morrigan as a goddess, but that might actually be the opposite of what you are talking about.

Why do you think that all of the 'gods' are really gods? According to Wikipedia, which is not the greatest source, "Loki or Loptr is a god or jötunn (or both)" and that kind of suggests that the definition of god, at least when spoken of in a pagan context, might not have the most clearly-defined boundaries.

Are you implying certain things when you use the word that might not apply? I mean, what does the word 'god' even mean to someone living in a culturally-Christian society? You see, most of us were raised being told that God was a big omnipotent, omniscient, perfect being, but pagan gods are... well, they fall short on all three counts.

I think we need a better word that 'god' for pagan 'powers' and archetypes because the word has been polluted. In the same way that you can't really say 'gay' to mean jolly, I wonder if 'god' needs to be retired because it's gained too much baggage.

Edited by AnthonyHJ

Well, Odin is supposed to enjoy wandering about the world in disguise. S'what The Wanderer does, you know? I guess shape-shifting comes in handy for that!

I always get the impression of eye-rolling when I refer to the Morrigan as a goddess, but that might actually be the opposite of what you are talking about.

Why do you think that all of the 'gods' are really gods? According to Wikipedia, which is not the greatest source, "Loki or Loptr is a god or jötunn (or both)" and that kind of suggests that the definition of god, at least when spoken of in a pagan context, might not have the most clearly-defined boundaries.

Are you implying certain things when you use the word that might not apply? I mean, what does the word 'god' even mean to someone living in a culturally-Christian society? You see, most of us were raised being told that God was a big omnipotent, omniscient, perfect being, but pagan gods are... well, they fall short on all three counts.

I think we need a better word that 'god' for pagan 'powers' and archetypes because the word has been polluted. In the same way that you can't really say 'gay' to mean jolly, I wonder if 'god' needs to be retired because it's gained too much baggage.

read this six times and i am confused. sorry.

er... is this based on something? ;)

lol, no i dont think so. it was just a question that got me wondering. okay, i am an athiest right, dont believe in god, right...but that doesnt make me right necessarily...so what if i had been in contact with a god (or goddess) but they didnt declare who they were. I cant think why they would do that but, hey you never know.

so thats why i was wonderin.

er... is this based on something? ;)

lol, no i dont think so. it was just a question that got me wondering. okay, i am an athiest right, dont believe in god, right...but that doesnt make me right necessarily...so what if i had been in contact with a god (or goddess) but they didnt declare who they were. I cant think why they would do that but, hey you never know.

so thats why i was wonderin.

Oh right. Gotcha.

Yes, going by personal experience of mine and some other people, some don't respond when you ask who they are. I have no idea why.

i mean i can think of one reason why a god/dess might not acknowledge themselves to me, that would be sheer bloody awkwardness or huffiness i suppose. you know the kind of response that would be: 'oh, i dont exist do I? well up yours mate - i'm not gonna tell you who i am....' but i dunno that would seem rather petty.

i guess my pursuit of understanding deity will go on, i suppose.

of course i refer to polytheism here where there is a descrete identity..

the way i understand 'archetypes' is an internal sort of psychological or mental structure of the mind such as that suggested by carl jung. these structures may present themselves in our imaginations such as through stories where certain characters are universal in their nature like the wise old man, the hero, the shadow and so on. so for example, herne (if you see him as a ghost of windsor(?) forest, may be seen a the wise man in his human form or the shadow in his animal form. or they may present themselves in religious belief, psychological projections, or embodiments of what we believe a certain thing in a human like form.

except the reality of it is not quite like that. for example ancestors (particularly those that have died within living memory) are not a source of our imagination, but are (or were) real people. if some deitiies were ancestors who were then later deified for what ever reason they still remain 'real', so the archetype doesnt quite fit exactly. but it might explain the human like qualities (and frailties) of certain god/desses.

so anyway thats my thought on archetypes.

read this six times and i am confused. sorry.

I am just saying that my experience of gods doesn't match the popular understanding of gods; they don't always look like what you were expecting.

I mean, if you go looking for a fish expecting to find a shark, you'll easily overlook a dozen minnows in the search.

I sometimes ask the same sort of question Fizz because, like you, I am atheistic, but have an open mind and sometimes wonder if I am missing something which is right in front of my eyes. Perhaps I have a rigid or narrow understanding of "Godness" and, as Anthony suggested, maybe I approach the whole thing with too many expectations of what I am looking for........ perhaps I am less open minded about Deity than I think I am.

When I see the sea I understand it in terms of an entity. It speaks to me, it has its moods, it is capricious, kindly, cruel........ it has a personality. Perhaps I should see the Goddyness in this rather than expect Poseidon to actually step out of the water with his trident and dripping with seaweed.

I'm not sure if it is the Gods pretending to be something other than what they are........ or me "looking for sharks and missing the minnows".

Mike

In answer to your questions, yes........and yes. IME sometimes it's because you have to work it out for yourself, but sometimes they don't tell you when you ask. I have no idea what the purpose of that might be though.

Isn't is US that get confused and pretend that the gods are folk heroes or archetypes or projections etc? I'm coming to the view that they don't mind what words we use to describe them, and that they might be all of those things and more. I was reading something by Jung recently and what he seemed to be saying was that archetypes are ways that we can experience the gods, which is different from saying they ARE archetypes. That made quite a bit of sense to me.

i mean i can think of one reason why a god/dess might not acknowledge themselves to me, that would be sheer bloody awkwardness or huffiness i suppose. you know the kind of response that would be: 'oh, i dont exist do I? well up yours mate - i'm not gonna tell you who i am....' but i dunno that would seem rather petty.

i guess my pursuit of understanding deity will go on, i suppose.

of course i refer to polytheism here where there is a descrete identity..

There is a school of thought that holds there is an ultimate form of divinity (or "God") and that it will take on many forms according to who it is trying to contact. For example, divinity will appear to a Christian in the form of Jesus, or perhaps the Virgin Mary, or even an angel as that is who a Christian would expect to see. Yet the same Divinity may appear to a Muslim as Allah or a vision of Muhammed, or a Pagan who follows the Greek pantheon might see Zeus. The thought school suggests that the "different personalities" of the Gods can even be taken on if that is what the person divinity is trying to contact expects. If you expect Odin to be of a particular personality type then not only will Odin appear to you, but he will appear with the personality type you would expect.

Although I'm not necessarily of this school of thought I do like the idea. It would account for the different experiences people have with "god" or divinity without dismissing any. It actually validates everyone's own individual experience with the divine, and goes onto explain why some people might have different experiences with the same god...I see no reason why a god who does this couldn't be involved in an atheists life, coming to them in some other form - perhaps a rational dream? And of course, the divine might well be aware appearing to an atheist as a God would have the communication dismissed as irrational none sense, perhaps doing more harm than good... and so it's logical to assume it would hide that aspect of itself and would approach the atheist in a way the atheist could understand.

There is a school of thought that holds there is an ultimate form of divinity (or "God") and that it will take on many forms according to who it is trying to contact.

So, humans are stupid enough that it feels like it has to take a familiar form in hopes of being taken seriously?

Maybe it's just a higher form of life.

Perhaps it tried 'welcome to a new era of peace, primitive species' and discovered that peace and enlightenment were unpopular because they involve not stealing your neighbour's stuff.

It tried 'we come in peace,Earthlings' and got attacks (ineffectually) by humans scared of this being that was so different.

Finally, seeing how good religions are at modifying behaviour, it tried 'I am a jealous God and I will smite thee' to get their attention and followed it up with 'stop killing each other, write that down somewhere and show it to everyone' in hopes of getting us moving in the right direction, but some smart bastard added another nine 'good ideas' and suddenly we are back to killing people for looking admiringly at their sister-in-law's bottom.

I'd have given up by that point, so I assume they are more enlightened than me...

So, humans are stupid enough that it feels like it has to take a familiar form in hopes of being taken seriously?

Maybe it's just a higher form of life.

Perhaps it tried 'welcome to a new era of peace, primitive species' and discovered that peace and enlightenment were unpopular because they involve not stealing your neighbour's stuff.

It tried 'we come in peace,Earthlings' and got attacks (ineffectually) by humans scared of this being that was so different.

Finally, seeing how good religions are at modifying behaviour, it tried 'I am a jealous God and I will smite thee' to get their attention and followed it up with 'stop killing each other, write that down somewhere and show it to everyone' in hopes of getting us moving in the right direction, but some smart bastard added another nine 'good ideas' and suddenly we are back to killing people for looking admiringly at their sister-in-law's bottom.

I'd have given up by that point, so I assume they are more enlightened than me...

I wouldn't use the word stupid, perhaps stubborn? You're a parent, when you talk to your children do you not talk to them in a way they will understand and accept? I think the idea that a "god" would be wise enough to appear to people in a way they could accept is a perfectly reasonable concept... Let's assume for a moment that the Gods true form is a giant spagetti monster but you don't believe that. If it appeared to you as that you might think you're seeing things, or going nuts... Where as if you believe in Aphrodite and she appears to you you're probably going to pay more attention.

You've also incorrectly assumed that this belief teaches everyone's religious experience is a genuine one. I never stated that the school of thought believed all the religions or religious teachings taught by man to be truth. In fact, quite the opposite from literature I have read. The ultimate divinity (when spoken about in this theology) tends to be neither Christian, Muslim, Hindu or anything else. It tends to be a separate entity which is why it's described as divinity rather than given a specific name.

Christianity, Islam, Pagan beliefs and practices are all classified as man made, corrupt teachings and more Chinese whisper type philosophies that have been corrupted and twisted through a variety of political and historical events. The theology also makes a big distinction between religious experience and genuine religious experience. A man telling everyone god appeared to him and told him to kill 100 people in a bomb explosion would be an example of a none genuine religious experience, where as perhaps the Virgin Mary appearing to a Christian telling someone their loved one needs them as they won't be on the earth for much longer would be a genuine religious experience... And that Virgin Mary might be Freya if the divinity is giving the same type of message to a Pagan.

The divinity in this philosophy is usually referred to as a loving caring "parent" that speaks to it's "children" in a way they understand. Not a vengeful god who changes their mind depending upon who they speak to.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify that in my first post :P

Ooo Ooo, if you know Taoist philosophy, think of it as the great integrity, but with a conciousness, if that makes sense?

Edited by Nathan

And of course, the divine might well be aware appearing to an atheist as a God would have the communication dismissed as irrational none sense, perhaps doing more harm than good... and so it's logical to assume it would hide that aspect of itself and would approach the atheist in a way the atheist could understand.

I think the idea that a "god" would be wise enough to appear to people in a way they could accept is a perfectly reasonable concept...

The divinity in this philosophy is usually referred to as a loving caring "parent" that speaks to it's "children" in a way they understand. Not a vengeful god who changes their mind depending upon who they speak to.

So, in this paradigm, why would a god try to contact an atheist? What would the god's purpose be?

And is the suggestion that any gods who are not loving and kind therefore honest about who they are, while the any god who is loving and kind might be deceitful and dishonest?

So, in this paradigm, why would a god try to contact an atheist? What would the god's purpose be?

And is the suggestion that any gods who are not loving and kind therefore honest about who they are, while the any god who is loving and kind might be deceitful and dishonest?

Keeping in mind this is not my own philosophy or belief, just one I find very interesting and wouldn't mind exploring more...

From my understanding an atheist is contacted by the God/Divine for the very same reason that a "believer" is contacted. Unlike say, the Christian God, from what I've read of this belief the divinity behind the universe (and creation) is not a "jealous" God and its aware of "human limitations". I mean I'm completely guessing at this point but I would assume there is a reason the God in this philosophy doesn't appear in physical form and hasn't dictated human history for the thousands and thousands of years we've been here... perhaps there is an element of "free will" such as what most theologies believe?

So with that in mind the God in this theology is a parent and guide, trying to "nudge us" in the right direction? Perhaps even help us on whatever path we're supposed to be on? I certainly don't have answers here, the philosophies aren't very dogmatic from what I've read. The main point is that the God gave birth to us and everything else in one way or another, and so wants to look after us. Again, as it's aware of "human limitations" it's aware that religion has been born out of the human desire to explain it, which it supposedly appreciates. But it's also aware that some people don't believe in it, and it's probably aware (being omnipresent) of the psychological and social reasons behind individuals reasoning and none belief... But that doesn't mean it doesn't care any more (again it's not jealous), it's not just going to abandon those people any more than a human parent would give up on a child that doesn't agree with it (well you'd hope not anyway). Instead it understands, and as such still tries to help or guide in a way the atheist might understand... I don't know how, perhaps dreams, perhaps by "popping a thought" on in there? I dunno completely guessing here!! But examples that are usually talked about tend to be those of human crisis, extreme fear or emotional distress, the needing to get to a bedside of someone dieing

I could see a parent type God who believes in free will leaving us alone but stepping in when it thinks we might make a mistake, or be in trouble... I quite like that idea actually. And it would explain all the big "miracles" we've heard about in the past... People in caves seeing a vision and being healed, as well as modern day stories about divine intervention... Those "Oh I just knew something had happened to bob and rushed home" stories we hear about everyday...

I mean the main thing for me, which is why I brought this theology up, is there is another thread on here where people talk about their experiences with "the gods". And there are pagans who talk about Odin showing himself or making people aware of his presence for example... So surely Odin must be real, and a lot of people on this forum accept that because they believe it, or have experienced it. But there comes a point where someone could describe exactly the same feelings or experiences, but they use the word Jesus instead of Odin... Do we dismiss them because it's a Christian belief? Or has the Divine appeared to them as Jesus instead of Odin? Are all Christian/Muslim experiences with the divine made up? Or is there another explanation?

It could be that the Christian God is real and is just one of many pantheons, or it could be there all one in the same God. It depends on which view you want to take really... I'm undecided, but I like the idea that it's all the same thing looking after everyone because if you start proclaiming gods such as the Christian God real and separate entities then does that mean it believes in Christian teachings? Now there is a scary thought... And how do afterlife principles work for people with different beliefs? Do people who believe in Jesus and God who sin go to Hell, but those who don't and pray to another God avoid hell altogether because they don't believe it? No it get's far to complicated for me, and I've always believed truth tends to be the simplest explanation.

As for your second point... I'm not quite sure I understand it, I think I do. But I don't see how it correlates to my discussion? I mean, if you're saying how do we know a God has to be loving and how do we know it's not lying to us... Well, we don't. But then how do we know all the Gods and visions we see aren't really the Christian devil tricking us so we burn for eternity? We don't... it comes down to belief and faith I suppose :P

I hope that all made sense! It's hard trying to explain things you don't necessarily believe in and give it enough justice! :D

I don't believe that deity has any interest in being loving and kind towards human beings nor, indeed, being avenging and threatening - in most circumstances! That is a xtian concept! It seems to me that deity (in whichever pantheon you believe) can be contacted by humans and deity may or may not respond; ditto deity can present themselves to human beings. I further believe that if deity responds to a human contact or picks a human for some purpose of their own, it is a quid pro quo .... they will give something in return for something. The kindly "reward" is simply the bargain that is struck the Gebo (rune) concept - a gift for a gift - a contract .... any avenging or threatening could be the result of a broken bargain and why not? That would only be just!

So, Nathan, I do not believe that the god/ess appears in the form the human expects because the human would have to first be "expecting" that form for the god/ess to take it up! In recent contact, I did not ask to meet the god who came along and tapped me on the shoulder. When I perceived who that god is, he looked like his archetype about whom I knew very little - it was only when I realised who it is and started reading about him, that I was able to say that I recognised his image .......... !

• Like 1

the thing is what if our hypothetical god isnt into nudging, parenting or guiding, what then would be their purpose in contacting an athiest? i can see the logic behind hiding their identity, it perhaps wwould make the what ever the god is trying to achieve more achievable or at least be without the deebate as to whether said god exists or not.....lol....but then why not just contact a believer of that god? would seem a bit easier to do.

logically though, if gods do exist it would seem probable that they have/do/will contact athiests due to any number of reasons (even though i cant think of any reassons atm, i am sure there could be quite a few). Perhaps a god would need an athiest point of view to convince a number of people about the goodness of an idea - but then we're back to a god being a 'nudger' or caretaker of the human race....and that might not be the case.

for example, when i listen to people who in some way relate to their god it might be for the purpose of raising personal awareness or insight into themselves, from an athiest point of view, i suppose that would be hard to experience, given that athiests reject deity. i would imagine athiests might find the words of (say) Dr Phil a little more believable because he is, at the very least, a human and a psychologist (and has nothing to do with being on the oprah winfrey show).

and i suppose then the bottom line is what do we trust? god and/or man. for an athiest wouldnt it be easier to trust the words of man (or woman) and couldnt that be a really good reason why a deity wouldnt reveal their identity to an athiest??? I suppose i would depend on the deity's own personality.

i would like to say there have been some really interesting comments here, and i am really enjoying myself.

so are gods capable of being that sneaky?

/Snip

Very interesting. I completely respect your opinion of course and thank you for your insight. Again, the philosophy I have put forward is not my own. BUT if you would allow me to play devils advocate for a moment (which I so enjoy) :P...

First I would disagree that a loving caring God is a Christian concept. There are many more faiths in the world than most people consider on a daily basis. Around the world in 80 faiths is a great introductory documentary that's a few years old now. If you watch it you'll see there are many many faiths in the world that hold a monotheistic, sometimes duotheistic approach to divinity, and many many faiths that have a loving caring creator "God"(s). There are of course many who have the opposing view as well, but a loving caring god is certainly not just Christian, it's probably not even Christian in origin.

If anyone is actually interested it's that show which introduced me to the theology I've brought up here...I can't remember which group it was (as I watched the show years ago), but I'm pretty sure it was an eastern tradition that held that all the prophets; Jesus, Mohammed etc were all real prophets of equal importance and they'd created a religion based around this philosophy (If anyone has ever watched the cartoon Futurama they sort of picked up on that idea and put it in the show). If memory serves right the believers of this religion (the real one, not Futurama haha) all wore bright reds, yellows and blues in the service... it was researching that particular sect that introduced me to more "advanced" or "deeper" (for lack of a better term) philosophies that looked at all Gods as a singular rather than just the prophets... It's a really interesting program actually that I would certainly recommend people watch.

Anyhoo I'm going off on a tangent and still haven't played devils advocate!!

I was going to say. If we take the approach that there is a singular omnipresent entity that created the universe (I know we don't believe this, but go with it lol) and then we accept that it knows you, it knows your psychology, it knows your sociology, your ethics, your belief systems, what's going on in your life etc etc. How do you know, that the recent experience you had wasn't this singular God? You've reasoned that you weren't expecting it, and that it appeared in the form of a God you weren't expecting as well. However, is it not possible that an all knowing singular God who knows everything about you, knows that you needed the appearance of this other God in your life to teach you, or advise you, or ask you, or whatever it's done, for something you wouldn't have got from your "usual" gods? Whatever your reasoning for this other God appearing in your life now, can you not use that reasoning and apply it to a singular God appearing to you in that particular form? I mean we could even take it to the extreme here and you could get your usual God in the room with the new God and literally ask them if they're the same thing... But perhaps a singular all knowing God would know you wouldn't be able to handle this and so would lie to you and say no we're separate Gods? I mean the question here is how do we know anything really? :blink:

Now, whilst we all contemplate that *cries* - I'm curious. If we approach this from your world view now instead. And the Gods are separate etc etc - How do you personally reason other peoples religious experience with say a monotheistic God? Do you accept that Jesus appears to people in visions or not? I ask because this is one of the main difficulties I have when trying to approach from a polytheistic approach... and again, things like death and how would that all work?

so are gods capable of being that sneaky?

Well, I think the key question here is why do gods (if they exist) visit anyone in the first place? I mean it all comes back to the "nudging" thing for me, I can't think of any other reason they'd care. They're all powerful masters of the universe (you know what I mean ^_^ ) - why bother with lower life forms if not to teach or "nudge". Unless of course it's purely for selfish reasons on their part, in which case I personally wouldn't be interested. I can't deal with selfish people, let alone selfish Gods.

BUT what I can say is, when we answer the question of why do they visit people, then whatever that reason is surely it can be applied to atheists, unless the reason is something like they need our attention to exist, in which case an atheist would be pretty much useless :o_rofl: - But assuming (as I do) it would be for "nudging" purposes then I can tell you now, someone like my partner (who I love dearly) would certainly need some kind of atheistic friendly procedure to get a message through. I mean Jesus Christ could literally descend from the Heavens in front of him declare him the new saviour of the world give him magical miracle powers, and my partner would still go see a GP saying he had an "episode" :P

well you could word it that way, or you could ask, why wouldnt they be interested in us, afterall, we are very curious about what is out there, the unknown, the uncertain and for that matter, whats inside us (like our minds, also considered by some as being an unknown! lol). does being a god preclude inquisitiveness...

i mean we find the humble amoeba interesting...along with a whole other multitude of critters that the human race considers inferior...and one which we see seem to spend inordinate amounts of time studying it, waxing lyrical over it and generally hold in wonderment.

so why wouldnt a deity want to spend time with us? may be they wonder at us?

i know i wonder at the human race all the time (but maybe thats a slightly different angle :D)

Nathan:

First, I did not say that a loving god was ONLY a xtian concept - it IS a xtian concept and it is likely to be .... as you assert ... a concept of other religions! It is just NOT a concept of my perception of my spirituality, which is what I said "I believe ..... ".

I personally do not believe that any of the gods or even the xtian God can know all about me personally ... in order to approach me ... why would they bother? If a deity makes him/herself known to me, then I expect there to be a reason - s/he wants something from me - and I can negotiate something in return - that deity knows enough for that purpose. The relationship may become long-term or be a one-off encounter! If long-term, then maybe there is more "getting to know ..." going on!

If you go with the xtian God concept, you have to believe that he "loves" us, wants to "save" us from hell-fire and damnation etc - therefore, he "knows" all about us and keeps some sort of ledger somewhere concerning sins and punishment and so on .... I don't go there and never did believe it even as a child being brought up in an evangelical xtian family.

You see, Nathan, my spiritual contact with deity is not analysed as you prefer to analyse ... it is something that I simply accept - with suprise always, with pleasure sometimes and on other occasions it is politely declined. It works for me and things happen so I don't feel the need to change or look at it in any way other than the way I do! And bless, you Nathan, my pagan spirituality started even before you were born and I have had long years, made mistakes, had some spectacular results and lots of experiences to allow me to explain the way it is for me :)

Well, I think the key question here is why do gods (if they exist) visit anyone in the first place? I mean it all comes back to the "nudging" thing for me, I can't think of any other reason they'd care. They're all powerful masters of the universe (you know what I mean ^_^ ) - why bother with lower life forms if not to teach or "nudge". Unless of course it's purely for selfish reasons on their part, in which case I personally wouldn't be interested. I can't deal with selfish people, let alone selfish Gods.

so how do you tell the difference between a god visiting you to care, and one visiting you for purely selifish reasons?

Actually, let me go on from there. When you first meet someone and start gettuing to know them. do you do that because you care about them or because you find it enjopyable - in other words, for purely selfish reasons? Or do you immediately care for people you dislike and have no interest in?

You see, although altruism exists, it's very rare for anyone to do something purely for the sake of altruism - we generally all get some sort of kick/reward from whatever we do. And I think the same is true for good. That doesn't mean they care about us in the Christian (or whatever way) by only seeking our wellbeing and receiving/needing nothing in return. Neither does it mean they are motivated by pure selfishness.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For me gods and goddesses are real, not just a part of the one godform. It is not how they appear but our interpretation of them. Having said that I do believe in the divine, the universal divine. And then our gods and goddess, higher spirits, guardians etc. All of the myths and archetypes are, to me our own views and how we personally see these deities but neither does this mean that they are not real.

I agree with what a few people have said here, in that a god would have reasons for interacting with us. It would neither be for selfish reasons or for looking after us as parents would. The relationship would be of benefit to both the god and the person involved. They be other reasons - a broader picture which we would not be aware of except maybe our part in it.

My relationship with my goddess comes purely from intuition and my heart as it doesn't always make sense. My head often tells me something quite different. And trying to explain that is very difficult.

For me gods and goddesses are real, not just a part of the one godform. It is not how they appear but our interpretation of them. Having said that I do believe in the divine, the universal divine. And then our gods and goddess, higher spirits, guardians etc. All of the myths and archetypes are, to me our own views and how we personally see these deities but neither does this mean that they are not real.

I agree with what a few people have said here, in that a god would have reasons for interacting with us. It would neither be for selfish reasons or for looking after us as parents would. The relationship would be of benefit to both the god and the person involved. They be other reasons - a broader picture which we would not be aware of except maybe our part in it.

My relationship with my goddess comes purely from intuition and my heart as it doesn't always make sense. My head often tells me something quite different. And trying to explain that is very difficult.

I think this usefully takes us away from 'hypothetical' deities and speculative god forms to what we experience (or don't experience). If gods (or anything else) are not within our experience ( whether they 'exist' or not ) then it's difficult to see what the point of discussing them is.

I think this usefully takes us away from 'hypothetical' deities and speculative god forms to what we experience (or don't experience). If gods (or anything else) are not within our experience ( whether they 'exist' or not ) then it's difficult to see what the point of discussing them is.

Maybe because some people are open to the possibility that their minds can be changed or at least find interest in what others believe and do ?