Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Its Me Again

Guest Laiden Forest

It’s me again. I did what was suggested I read the rules and then had a look around. My look around confirmed what I already believed, that I know very little, am quite lost, more than a little confused and may take a while to find my feet. Maybe there is a book or something someone could recommend. Or maybe a calendar or diary with days of celebration, phases of the moon, or something similar marked out. If any one has any practical suggestions I would be very grateful. :-)

And thank you for the words of welcome.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Have a look at the 'starters orders area' but people are friendly here and will answer questions you have .

I am still stumbling along, xx You can also google and get a calender with the dates of the sabbats.

Hi and welcome. :) take a look around Starters orders - there's a lot there :) If you still feel lost, ask a question in that area.

Try Starter's Orders and Pagan Paths may also be useful to give you an idea of what different people believe - pretty much anything goes!

Have a look at the 'starters orders area' but people are friendly here and will answer questions you have .

I am still stumbling along, xx You can also google and get a calender with the dates of the sabbats.

thanks for the tips, I've had a bit of a look there and I've been looking at books online, next on my 'must do' list is to find a nice celtic calender :o_youpi:

Okay, now that we're here :)

Yes, it's totally overwhelming at first, and at times, isn't it? One of the downsides of the freedom to follow your own path without rules and strictures.

Our bookworms forum has lots of good advice on books, but I always recommend the following:

Vivienne Crowley "Introduction to Paganism"

Pete Jennings "Pagan Paths"

Ronald Hutton "Triumph of the Moon" and "Stations of the Sun"

And - since you're in Scotland: Rev Robt Kirkwood: " the Secret Commonwealth" and "Gaelic Ofherworld" (sensational book) by Rev John Campbell - oh - and "Healing Threads" - Mary Beith

And anything that relates to the folklore of your area, the wildlife, the history etc. You live in Scotland, we're not short on folklore, ancient sites, tall tales with a smidgen of truth, and wildlife :D

What do you see out your windows? Sky, plants, trees, birds? Are they indigenous? Have the plants lost all their leaves, are they budding already? Do you get a sense of the aliveness of them? Can you build up a relationship with the birds if you put feed out for them?

And anything about the Celtic Myths if that's where your interest lies :)

What do you see out your windows? Sky, plants, trees, birds? Are they indigenous? Have the plants lost all their leaves, are they budding already? Do you get a sense of the aliveness of them? Can you build up a relationship with the birds if you put feed out for them? Do you live near any Pictish stones?

And bear in mind that anything "Celtic" should be taken with a pinch of salt as we know only what we can surmise from archaeology and the Romans ;)

Pomona, I'm noticing, gives wonderful advice! Ditto all that she said, especially when it comes to awareness of the mythology and biology of the place in which you live.

Place is a lovely way to develop the connections we feel. It's just habit for me now to notice the types of trees, to be curious about and tend to the plants, to feed the birds, to research the myths and history and my ancestors and such, but it's something I know I've cultivated. Go where things are interesting and inspiring and you'll find your pace :)

I remember that when I first made the decision to Become A Pagan a few years ago I gobbled up every bit of information I could and started performing all sorts of rites before I even really understood the basis of my connection to paganism. Not that I have loads of wisdom now by any means! But it's so important to do what feels natural to you and not panic about packing in some kind of prescribed version, if you get me?

We're never going to run out of learning to do so don't worry at all that you feel like you know very little, you'll probably realise you have more wisdom than you thought as you read around and think about things for yourself. (Never confuse knowledge with wisdom!)

Those books are also really good starters. I know how it feels to want to get going and just be 'in' it all already but it's so worth taking your time over :)

Did you find a calendar? You could always make one! That's a nice project. Then you can decide what you want on there and add things through the year as you grow into things. (There's also Pagan Calendar for an overview of lots of different dates from multiple paths and pantheons, if you want a quick reference point, but I'd say start with the things that pull your interest, rather than trying to manufacture interest in absolutely everything ever all at once... like I did!)

Welcome again, fellow newbie ;)

Edited by Aranya

you are right Pomona does give good advice. thanks :-)

I've made a note of the books thank you, (next stop is amazon I guess).

As for what I see out of my window?, I could say houses and flats and a couple of shops, which would be true, but I also see the sky and the birds, especially the gullies, and if I look out the back I see trees in neighbours gardens and the doos and rabbits running wild. I see a Rowan Tree and an Elderbnerry tree. I have my own tiny patch in the front and I've spent a few years planting native wild hedgrow, I have baby hawthorn, dog rose, dog wood, holly, and beech. I also have Rowanberry, Backthorn, Wild Cherry and Crab apple, I think there are more but I can't remember them right now. I suspect my own little patch is too small to support all of them in the long term but thats what happens in nature, some survive and some don't. I love my little garden.I have a wildlife pond made from an old bath tub sunk into a hole and last year for the first time I had frogspawn and tadpoles. These are the things I already feel at home with, spending time in my garden and walking the cliffs by the sea, these are the things that bought me to where I am now. The only standing stone I've visited a few times is the solitary one on Kirriemuir Hill and I love going there. This is the part I feel most at home with and this is why i need to find out more. To start with I'm not too bothered about magic, rituals, and that sort of thing, I would just like to be more aware of the different days of celebration, the history behind them and some simple way for me to mark them. I grow all sorts of herbs and would like to know what each one of them is associated with..............

anyway, about the calendar, I looked at a couple and also at a couple of diaries but, I read a review and it said these things often have the times of the actual equinox in American time and not GMT, I do like the idea of actually making one, I'd not thought of that, I'll think about it...............but many thanks to every one for all the advice you're given.

Edited by Laiden Forest

Our bookworms forum has lots of good advice on books, but I always recommend the following:

Vivienne Crowley "Introduction to Paganism"

Pete Jennings "Pagan Paths"

Ronald Hutton "Triumph of the Moon" and "Stations of the Sun"

And - since you're in Scotland: Rev Robt Kirkwood: " the Secret Commonwealth" and "Gaelic Ofherworld" (sensational book) by Rev John Campbell - oh - and "Healing Threads" - Mary Beith

Thanks for the advice, I've spent a while on Amazon looking for these oarticular books and.at the moment...........none of them are immediatly available. Anyhow, I had a look around Amazon and found a couple that appealed to me so I ordered them and later I'll look for the ones you recomend.

I've ordered

"2013 Country Wisdom & Folklore Diary"

"Solitary Wicca For Life: Complete Guide to Mastering the Craft on Your Own:''

"Moon Calendar 2013"

Now that I've ordered them, I feel as if I've done something positive., so thanks :-)

Here's a Druidic calendar I found online once. Basically all the festivals (mostly) have the Celtic/Druidic titles on them but the dates are the typical wheel of the year.

Well met, fellow Alban! :)

msg-127807-0-20029700-1346496283_thumb.jpg

Edited by A Disgruntled Scotsman

• 4 months later...

I downloaded a pagan calender app which seems pretty extensive. I've also used a couple of different moon phases widgets too.

I'm in the same place you are, new and muddling along, reading threads and books, enjoying nature and the outdoors, learning and soaking up what knowledge I can and thoroughly enjoying my explorations.

Good luck on your path.