Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Book Of Shadows

Guest AuroraLora

Hey All,

I have been looking into the idea of keeping a journal of my progress and what I feel works for me. Heard about keeping a book of shadows and wondered if this was in a way similar to a journal or is it purely for spells & rituals and what sort of things you would normally keep in a book of shadows??

Just wondered if anyone can give me any pointers or ideas and if anyone else has done this.

Any suggestions would be greatly received :-)

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Mine has a lot of random stuff in it. Experiences, charts with oghams and their meanings, experiences I've had, herbal recipes... I think it's a place (at least for me!) to record my progress and experiences along my path. :) I like writing in it every time I find a new thing that relates to my beliefs. Sometimes I write in it to document a particularly profound experience. Sometimes I record poetry that moved me. So I guess it is a bit of a magical journal!

I have a book but the term book of shadows is a bit theatrical for my liking! Like above its a mix of poetry I like or write, short stories, info on the herbs I use mainly(only 40odd not a whole encyclopedia") plus a bit for standard potions, reciipes, remedies and whatever I use them for... Fave cooking recipes are in there too.. Plus I have a reference guide for symbols and some on my fave gods and legends, then a section on lore so a bit of an ecclectic mix but well organisef, im into pencil drawing and coloyring so loads of illustration and colour throughour

Mines a book with static pages so ive createf a special layout fir keeping it well maintained too.. Just put in it whats relevant to your life and journey right now really and try not to fall into a trap of trying to write about every last spell annd ritual and god and practice that u can find just what you are doing now- that way its a reflection of you abd your life and not a font of all knowledge :D

Well, I'm a Heathen and not a Wiccan, so we don't keep books of shadows :P However, you might find this thread interesting, as it poses the same question. ;)

Aye, Moonhunter! We have indeed more or less said it all in that thread but maybe some of the members who have joined more recently have other / more / different ideas? :)

I write all kinds of things in my BoS. It has recipes, spells, rituals, poetry, musings, sketches of Pagan paintings I want to do gardening tips I;ve found useful etc. I find it useful to remind me of things I;ve done and how they went. what I would do again and what I would change. So basically..........a journal.

• 3 months later...

My Book is a very personal thing. It's been written and re-written a million times and it looks like I will continue to follow that pattern for the rest of my life. It origionally started out as a notebook of random things. Then it became a ringbinder with proper sections relating to the gods and the quarters and referencing certain things, plus a bit of a mix of my personal experiances spaced throughout.

Currently I have a post bound A4 scrapbook on order and fully plan on moving the book from scribbled notes in a ringbinder to printed articals in an ever expanding book. Since with post binding you can literally just keep adding posts :P The plan for it is to turn it into something of a scrapbook. Typed references (such as how to press flowers, dry herbs and what not) hand written experiances, typed recipes etc, all intersperced with scrapbooking elements. Such as on the drying herbs pages I fully plan on placing dried herbs on the pages with hand written notations, Recipes have photographs and fully decked out like a scrapbook should be with pretty papers and whatnot. The written content is a mix of everything now. Just easy reference and documentation of my journey.

Just as I change through my life, I firmly believe that my book should too. It should be a reflection of who I am, the path I have taken and the possibilities to come. However, since I'm not wiccan, it's not really a Book Of Shadows per say. Just my book and I hope that one day it will be as big as the book in my avatar :P

• 1 month later...

I have tried and tried over the years to record things but I never have any luck with it. I have tried various ways, folders, books, blogs.... I think I am just a failure at documenting anything lol..

I think a better term Journal. Basically it's there to record anything that floats your boat, things that work, things that don't. Patterns, situations, happenings you see in every day life & want to remember. You personalize it with poems, drawings, ideas, some artifacts & I think in time it becomes part of you

I think the key to it, it's yours, it's got no relevance or use to anyone else, so keep it safe because it'd not easily replaced

Edited by tibbington