Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Magick Or No Magick?

Guest Taliesin

I regularly have the feeling of spirits around me, I've had more than my fair share of assistance from my Angel guide. The lore of nature is a massive part of my life and the Earth Mother never ceases to amaze me how she puts up with mankind's abuse of the land. Paganism is definetly the path for me, as with meditation and spiritual awareness. The only thing is I don't really have the feel for Magick, spells or devination. I totally follow 'The Rede' It's a great source of comfort. How can I go about being a better spritiualist? Is the use of Magick part of 'The Path'?

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

are you asking whether using magic spells and or divination will make you a better spiritualist?

if so, then it may or it may not. if you dont have a feel for magic then how can it make you a better spiritualist? stick with what you are good at, work on your strengths. if you have a way of being with spirits that works then stick with that.

if you could use magic in your spiritual work what would you use it for?

(personally i find meditation the best way to be with those who i care about and who also happen to be deceased, i dont use magic as such, for one, what would be the purpose in it? summoning would be a pretty useless way seeing as though i can contact them anyway, any time i wish, they are my family and are always with me)

The only thing is I don't really have the feel for Magick, spells or devination. I totally follow 'The Rede' It's a great source of comfort. How can I go about being a better spritiualist? Is the use of Magick part of 'The Path'?

There is no one path. there are very many. Not all pagans use the Rede - that is Wiccan in origina and very many - possibly most - pagans are neither Wiccan nor influenced by Wicca.

When you say "Spiritiualist" do you mean a mediu, as in the church of spiritualism? If so, that church is not part of paganism. Very many - possibly most - pagans would agree to some form of talking with gods, ancestors or wights. Is this what you mean? If so, I'm not sure waht yu mean by becoming better. in what way do you wish to improve? Do you only talk to ancestors and wish to talk to gods? I would say: talk to gods. Though, they may choose not to answer back. :P There are other threads here on meditation, or talking to gods, if you want to take a look. there are many, many threads on "what do I do now" which will ask and say pretty much the same things as may be said here. :)

And no - very many pagans neither practice nor "believe in" magic.

Thanks for your replies, makes sensible reading. When I spoke about being 'spiritualist' I think what I meant was I get a feeling of spirits around me. Rather than an ability to communicate with them. I'm not a medium in any way, This is the bit why I started to try and find where I was going on 'The Path' because I find it hard to express my feelings or more likely find it hard to get 'normal folk' to understand . I often get the feeling of stored up energy inside me I can't release. The only time I feel it is released is while meditating, being on my allotment or out walking in the woods. While I'm on the allotment I often feel there's something trying to physically touch me. It's an odd feeling, almost like some spirit is trying to reach me but not able too. Therefore, even thought I'm a but unsure about magick, I didn't know if that was the way for me to go or if there was another route.

Hon, only you can decide whether or not magic is right for you to practice. I would tend to say (about anything in life): if in doubt, then don't.

When I speak with gods or wights i don't experience any pent up energy. I know there is at least one thread recently, either here or in pagan paths or general, that specifically addresses talking to gods or wights. Take a look around the Valley and oeek into some of the threads. :) the first thing most newcomers to paganism find difficult to get their heads round is that there is no single path. For example, if you take a look at the mods, we comprise one Religio Romana witch, one atheist pagan who doesn't do magic, one theist pagan who doesn't normally do magic, and one Heathen witch - yet most Heathens do not practice any form of magic.

I get a feeling of spirits around me.

There might be many explanations for this feeling - could they be spirits of place? They might be deity but IME that sort of contact does not come along in that way - more an individual contact rather than a mob :)

If your pent up energy sensation is uncomfortable, you may find relief by "grounding" the energy - and that does not have to be complicated - a visualisation of gathering the energy and letting it go from you through your feet into the ground - or if you prefer, out of your finger-tips into the air - and your allotment would be an ideal place for that to occur!

So many pagans talk about identifying their path, getting onto their path, walking their path etc! How about: your life is your "path" from birth and you walk it day by day throughout your life (and maybe beyond and in future lives - who knows?). It is what you experience in life - work, rest, play, spirituality that you can choose to make a part of the path that you walk. As others have said above, we recognise from many threads in The Valley, that there are many many paths - you could say as many paths as their are members because no two are alike in every way! Although as human beings we sometimes like to identify ourselves with a sound-bite label, it can never really express the whole of who we are, maybe just the most important bit at any moment!