Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

[Witches' Voice] Magical Names [The Redneck Pagan]

UK Pagan

I don't have a magical name. I will wait a second to let you catch your breath (*shock* *gasp* How can she not have a magical name?) Yep, you read the last line correctly; I do not have a magical name. I have several Pagan friends, all of whom have magical names. Some have told me their names; others I guessed based on their online profiles on sites such Facebook and The Witch's Voice. I have a few others who have never told me, or another person their magical name.A while ago I tried to

View the full article

Moonhunter

This is a fun article! :)

Guest Fellraven

This is a fun article! :)

'tis indeed. Though judging by what I see on many US forums, US pagans actually do seem to adopt the suggestions from those name generator thingies.

When I owned and ran #pagan on Undernet we had a tradition (ooooh!) that when a newbie joined the channel with a really ridiculous name (invariably American) the regulars immediately changed their nicks to equally ridiculous ones such as FireDolphin or AlgaeOfBast. What fun there was to be had in more innocent times.

• Like 3
Pomona

I actually liked this bit:

“what’s wrong with the name you have”? And it was a good question. I do not hate my name. There is even a unique and funny story as to how I was named! My middle names were a gift, as I was named after two female relatives. My last name was the gift from my family; it gave me a place in the family, marked me as one of their own. When I got married, I took my husband’s last name, as a gift from his family, an acceptance and a place in a family with a proud heritage and lineage. None of these are things to scoff at.

The name I have now has followed me throughout my life. I have used it in my low points, and in my high points. Over time, it has come to encompass everything that I am. When I read that name written on a paper it carries with it all that I have created within myself, everything that I have become. And that is a pretty magical thing when you think about it.

And I also agree with this:

I also figure that the Gods have known me since before I was born, since I was “knee high to a grasshopper”, when I went through that wonderfully awkward stage called adolescence. They have known me since I became a woman, and started to define myself by working concretely in the world, and abstractly in my head. They know the flaws in my character, and the superior qualities I have cultivated. They have known me before I ever was granted the names I have for this lifetime, and probably know the names I will carry in future lives.

I don't think I have anything else that really needs to be added to those points the author made above.

• Like 1
Idhreniel

I like that article. I don't have a magical name either. Never saw the point of one really (Most of my internet aliases tend to be Sindarin or Quenya translations of my first or middle name because I'm somewhat obsessed with Tolkien. )

Tried out that pagan name generator she linked to and got: Eartha Phoenix Lothlorien. Silly generator, it'sLothlórien, not Lothlorien. :o_thwak:

Just been googling for other name generators and have found this: http://www.oocities.org/sheherazahde/Humor/PixieMoonDrip.html

Within the Gardnerian Craft practice, we take a magical name and it can be anything you like! It does usually have something to say about who you are at that moment and you can change your name at any time, as you wish.

The Americans (in my experience) however, use their magical names in public and keep their real names secret! Can be confusing in they inadvertently use one's magical name outside of the circle!

Guest Birka

I like that article, especially the bit about how your name is a gift from your family, married or otherwise. To me, that's the most Pagan or Heathen name anyone can have, after all, don't we all honour our ancestors in some way?

You see it all the time on Heathen fora - someone turning up called Clive or something, and then wanting to be called 'Thorsbeard Odinsballs' or something like that. I will admit to once having a 'Heathen' name (Freya Ulfsdottir...I know...), but dude, it was back in the 90s...*everyone* had them then! You just weren't one of the cool kids if you didn't :o_rofl:

• Like 2
NorseNephilim

I like that article, especially the bit about how your name is a gift from your family, married or otherwise. To me, that's the most Pagan or Heathen name anyone can have, after all, don't we all honour our ancestors in some way?

Yeah, I never got that. So your ancestors and your father's/husband's line weren't good enough, so you need to manufacture a 'really convincing' Scandiwegian name that somehow confirms that you are Thor's greatest devotee and therefore a better heathen, despite ignoring the (arguably) most important part of the path - family and ancestors. I really don't get it.