Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Christian Associations To Deity

Guest Piper Maru

Did anyone else when starting out feel that they still referred to the divine as "god"? I am trying to break this habit, as I believe that whatever is out there is very unlikely to be male and more likely hermaphrodite or beyond human classification (just a source of energy perhaps?).

There is no problem with the word "god", it's just that I think of the bearded white-male when I say it; this is nurture over nature, of course. I feel that I have learnt in some respects that Christian elements are quite engrained in me, which is funny as I have never been to church or baptised.

lol, yes and i dont believe in god either. I think you are right, its just a cultural thing. we learn stuff, hear stuff and i think people tend to copy it. doesnt mean we believe it. i suppose its conditioning at its best (or worst!)

This is what always confused me about Christianity: the idea that you shouldn't worship false idols, but god was only said to have been seen by a selected few (same as mormonism.) How do people know that their image of their god isn't false... It's a bit like Chinese whispers, Haha. The flying spaghetti monster gets more plausible every day :D.

Your the same as me I think, I just have to keep telling myself that the word God is an abbreviation as that's how I stand at the moment, but the energy thing chies strongly with me as well all I know UPG wise is there is something and it's probably not a chap sitting in the clouds

Yes, I think that's exactly it. I have to stop being so hung up on the idea of god meaning one thing or a particular face.

We are all surrounded br christian based culture and it is very hard not to understan god in a christian way. Over time your perceptions will change and come to be more in sync with what you believe on an intellectal level. I wouldnt worry about it if i were you. I typed this on my modern phone so forgive typos. Mike

Well IMO Xtainity haven't cornered the market using the term God & if you are not Xtain, you are somehow breaking some copyright law if someone uses the term God.

For instance some gnostic groups thought there was a greater God than Jehovah & he, Jehovah, was some sort of impostor God who took the credit for the creation of the Heavens & the Earth.

So terms are just terms, but God doesn't have to mean some bloke with a white beard sitting on a cloud strumming an harp or drinking a pint of it telling us we are all sinners & as it starts to rain, wiping us all out in some insane surge of madness

Edited by tibbington

For me "God" simply now means male deity ... and there are many of them or, if you prefer, many aspects! "Goddess" means female deity. I was brought up in evangelical xtianity and it took a while to sort out such things. It got easier as relationships with deity with whom I got in contact developed and now I seldom think of Jehovah or the female aspect Shekinah - as they are meaningless in the order of things from my perspective !

Well IMO Xtainity haven't cornered the market using the term God & if you are not Xtain, you are somehow breaking some copyright law if someone uses the term God.

For instance some gnostic groups thought there was a greater God than Jehovah & he, Jehovah, was some sort of impostor God who took the credit for the creation of the Heavens & the Earth.

So terms are just terms, but God doesn't have to mean some bloke with a white beard sitting on a cloud strumming an harp or drinking a pint of it telling us we are all sinners & as it starts to rain, wiping us all out in some insane surge of madness

Haha, right. It's all about conditioning I guess. I mean, to a Muslim, god is Allah; Mormons: Elohim; and so on. Ethereal: if Morgan Freeman was god, I would probably be down with Christianity, I mean, the guy is so chilled out :). thanks for the help, all.

• Like 1