Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Advice Please?

Guest frostbite

Hello :-) First of all I'd like to say I wasn't quite sure where this is supposed to go so if this is the wrong forum please feel free to correct me!

I'm just wondering if one or two of you lovely people could offer a bit of advice. I have been agnostic for the whole 25 years of my life but have wanted to take the step into paganism for a long time. I have only just properly started to make the transition properly over the past few days and I know it sounds silly but I'm finding it totally scary! Don't get me wrong, I love it and I'm determined to do it and nothing will deter me, I was just wondering if this is normal? Has anyone else had similar feelings? Any advice or reassurance would be so, so much appreciated. Thanks guys :-)

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Why don't you take a look through our Start's Orders section? it's full of posts from people in the same sort of situation, and you might find some of them interesting reads.

and yes - fee;ing scared or overwhelmed is perfectly normal!

I'm going to move this into the Starters Orders section.:)

Hello :-) First of all I'd like to say I wasn't quite sure where this is supposed to go so if this is the wrong forum please feel free to correct me!

I'm just wondering if one or two of you lovely people could offer a bit of advice. I have been agnostic for the whole 25 years of my life but have wanted to take the step into paganism for a long time. I have only just properly started to make the transition properly over the past few days and I know it sounds silly but I'm finding it totally scary! Don't get me wrong, I love it and I'm determined to do it and nothing will deter me, I was just wondering if this is normal? Has anyone else had similar feelings? Any advice or reassurance would be so, so much appreciated. Thanks guys :-)

I don't *quite* understand. What is it about being agnostic that is causing you problems? Do you feel it necessary to worship some sort of generic "goddess" to be a pagan because if you do, allow me to inform you that you don't :).

Also, is there any particular path calling you - Paganism covers a wide spectrum - google a few and see what appeals

My path found me, so in that respect I was lucky, but I can understand where you are coming from

The best advice I can give you is to not worry about it :) we are Pagans because we all naturally feel a great kinship with and have a true love of nature. So if you share this with us your pretty much there :) . If your worried because your agnostic don't be, I am an atheist and I class myself as just as much a Pagan as my deity worshipping friends on here and they class me as no less a Pagan than them.

I don't follow any particular path still after almost 20 years I feel no need to, I don't practise magic or dance naked around bonfires I don't celebrate sabbats (love halloween tho) and I totally love xmas. I simply honour the earth in my own way. What I'm saying in a rather long winded way is any way you feel is right for you is ok if your meant to follow a path it will no doubt call to you soon or maybe like me you'll make it up as you go along. Paganism is amazingly adaptable and beautifully accepting especially in my experience here in the Valley. Anything goes so sit back and enjoy the ride, check out the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions we were all finding our way once :)

Blessings x Becca

I can empathise with you on this as realising that you have a deeply held belief/s even if you can't catergorise it yet can come as bolt out of the blue and seem daunting. The thing that helped me was to go very slowly into discovering what it is that leads you towards paganism and with an open mind and heart. You are in the drivers seat for you own spiritual development, and you can inch along in first gear for as long as you want there is no rush and like others have said you can be as pagan as anyone else even if you don't feel drawn to any particular path or diety/ies.

Rebecca's position is almost exactly the same as mine. Yes it can be scary at first because

1. It's new

2. Newbies don't want to make mistakes

3. There isn't a "right way" as in some religions.

All I will say is take your time and enjoy the journey. I know that people new to paganism can feel a bit adrift and so will grab hold of the first path that presents itself (and then have to undo it all down the line), so why not simply go with the flow for a while. Take your time to read, observe and examine your feelings and things will eventually fall into place. Theres no rush, and if anyone tells you otherwise ignore them!

All the best to you.

Mike

I'm not really sure what you mean by being "determined to do it". Paganism with a capital P and all it's homework and information overloads is daunting, yes but being pagan is just something you are. All the determination in the world won't help if you don't feel pagan. But if you do feel pagan, the rest is just shopping around until you find the path that fits with that feeling. Or cutting a new path of your own.

The best advice I can give is to just be yourself. Feel what makes 'you' you. Go back to basics and do what feels right. I try not to put that much essence into the endless masses of text where people tell you to do this and that. For me a walk in the park is just as connecting than a well laid out ceremony. Just be yourself..sit back and enjoy the ride! :)

Regards

• 3 months later...

Hi Frostbite, I`m very new as well. So I can relate to some of the things you say, I don`t feel scared tho, I`m enjoying reading the posts on here and finding them very helpful... I don`t know what path I`m on as yet but I`m just taking things slowly. I`ve been doing a lot of sole searching and I`m really starting to understand myself. It really helps being on here and I don`t feel alone anymore. My advise from one newbie to another, is to go with the flo, keep an open mind and don`t worry about mistakes, that's how we learn. :)