Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
Guest x-Bby-Boo-x

A Little Help For A Newbie? :3

Guest x-Bby-Boo-x

So I haven't realised that I have a Paganist way of thinking for all that long. My friend at 6th Form has kinda helped it in some way, but I always felt empowered by the natural Energies of the Earth. My mother used to be huge on Christianity and forced us into Sunday School at the local church; It didn't feel right for me, it wasn't the right path. But as I've started to come into my own and found that I may be a Pagan, I have no idea where to start. I want to self-study Paganism, but I can't find anywhere that helps with that. Does anyone have any idea of where I can start?

Ad from Google

shinicat

There's plenty more posts in this same section asking the same sort of questions as you! You're not alone, I think most people here started out with that thing of "where the heck to start?"

The first thing to know is that Paganism itself isn't a belief system, it's just an umbrella term for numerous various viewpoints with some stuff in common, but mostly we all disagree and argue ;)

If you want to read things, take a look through this Starters Orders section, then the Pagan Paths section which will give you some insight into some of the different "flavours" of Paganism. Also, forget worrying about a label so early, but go with what resonates with you. Do you enjoy watching the seasons change and marking it? How do you feel about deity? Are there any myths (ie roman, greek, norse) that have particularly interested you over the years.

There's no rush, just enjoy the journey

• Like 1

Guest x-Bby-Boo-x

Thank you for the help, Shini :)

I do enjoy watching the season change actually. I love nature, it's one of my favourite things. After Christmas, I'll be moving to Denmark, which has PLENTY of nature, so I think I'll feel cosy and right at home over there. I also love Greek Gods, though having a Norse fiance (we just got engaged a few days ago) I've been listening alot about famous Norse gods.

• Like 1

shinicat

OOOOOOhhhhh denmark! lovely! Congrats on the engagement :) maybe have a nosey at danish folk customs too then, might help you connect a bit more when you get there.

Rebecca.Backus

Well your in the right place there is a wealth of information on this site, starters orders is a great one for beginners.

I'd say definitely say don't just go to the library/shop and get a book without it being recommended to you by someone 1st. Most books seem to focus on wicca which is great if wicca is your calling but bloody confusing if your it's not, I've heard Pagan Paths by Pete Jennings recommended pretty often but I haven't read it myself.

It can take many years to find your path or to figure out you want to do it your own way and this is fine, I'm still figuring things out after 20 yrs lol. Read through old posts check out the book recommendations, if you have questions never be afraid to ask them here no questions are stupid and many of us here love a chance to ramble on a bit :) .

Don't be disheartened if it all doesn't make sense at 1st one of the great things about paganism is we're all still learning. Good luck on your path, Becca

Guest x-Bby-Boo-x

@ Becca: Thank you, I'll be sure to take your advice. I wasn't intending to go to the library or bookstore anyway, I don't always trust them for advice on tricky topics like this. I mainly just buy Language Dictionaries from them. I'm also pretty sure Wicca isn't the path for me, from what my other Pagan friends have told me of it.

@ Shini: Hehe, thank you very much! I was over there for 8 weeks, so I know a little about their culture and customs. I'm over there for my first Danish christmas this year. :D

Adelheid

Hi there! One of the best websites out there, in my opinion, is the About PaganWiccan site. Lots of information on there. Here's a link to the 'Basics' page but do click away on that site, it's fab!: http://paganwiccan.a.../u/WPBasics.htm

Also, I can't recommend highly enough the book 'A Witch Alone' by Marian Green. Although you can argue it has a Wiccan bias, it's not about initiated Wiccan traditions and does encourage you to ultimately discover your own path and think for yourself.

Pearlbrook

Can I possibly recommend a couple of books too? The best books I've found are "Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk" by Peter Paddon and "Traditional Witchcraft: A Cornish Book of Ways" by Gemma Gary (that one you probably have to order direct from the publishers as amazon etc don't stock it, the eejits!). These are really NOT wiccan, which is one of things which makes them stand out for me... no "love and light" there! They cover a bit of philosophy and a bit of theory and a bit of practical. Personally, I *have* tried to read everything I can get my hands on and I would like to say that almost every book has something useful in it, and the more you read the more you can compare and spot the bits you don't like or seem a bit like bs. However, I wouldn't recommend following my example unless you have a lot of spare time and patience on your hands! Hope that's helpful :)

Maeve

Hi Kestra - if you are still at the stage of "which pagan path ....?" you could try Peter Paddon's "Pagan Paths" which gives an overall view of many paths and is highly recommended, over and over again! A word of warning about "Wicca" - it cannot be learned by reading books - Wicca is experiential and the different traditions within that word "Wicca" are mystery traditions - each initiate experiences the mysteries for themselves. There is much wiccan-like information published - and I use the small "w" advisedly. Some of it is downright awful nonsense. The Craft of the Wise (Wicca) is not for everyone and there are many other witchcraft paths which are not part of Wicca! There are also many other pagan paths .... :)

Moonhunter

Hi there! One of the best websites out there, in my opinion, is the About PaganWiccan site. Lots of information on there. Here's a link to the 'Basics' page but do click away on that site, it's fab!: http://paganwiccan.a.../u/WPBasics.htm

a note of warning - this is an American site that confuses pagan and wicca, It really is heavily biassed towards pagan = Wicca, which is not true.

Hi Kestra - if you are still at the stage of "which pagan path ....?" you could try Peter Paddon's "Pagan Paths" which gives an overall view of many paths and is highly recommended, over and over again!

I think Naomi means pete jennings, not Peter Paddon. ;)

I think I would add to Naomi's warning that anyone who incorporates the word "Cunning" into their book or web title is probably lying. This was a word attributed to a specific sort of practitioner over a century ago. Most of those were probably Christian by faith, much like medieval alchemists. Unfortunately, some words are considered sexy enough to attract the uninformed and sell them something that isn't true. :(

Yarrow

How has a thread such as this got so far without the words 'Hutton' and 'Ronald' being mentioned? If it's a general intro to Paganism you want I'd recommend 'Listening People Speaking Earth' by Graham Harvey and 'Introduction to Pagan Studies' by Barbara Jane Davy. If you're of an earthy persuasion then Harvey's 'Animism' is worth a look.

Because it's Tradition I must also recommend Ronald Hutton's 'Triumph of the Moon' (especially if the witchy stuff is your thing) along with his other works.

Maeve

.... because, Yarrow, Ronald Hutton is quite "heavy" for a seeker who does not yet know whether s/he is going to like Wicca ! I use "Drawing down the Moon" as a test for any seeker I suspect is not entirely serious to see if that person will (a) read it (B) take something from it and ask questions and © can answer questions having begun to understand what it is all about :) Kestra has not indicated that she is yet Wicca-inclined!

@ Moonhunter - I did indeed mean Pete Jennings ..... half brain thinking of something else, coupled with "old age and debilitation" ............ :lol: