Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
UK Pagan

[Witches' Voice] Coping with the Loss of a Familiar [Lady Abigail]

UK Pagan

*Recently I was asked a question: how do you cope with the loss of a beloved familiar? I hope this helps any who might be dealing with this painful time in life.Given the intense bond each of us share with our familiar, itÂ’s natural that we will feel devastated by feelings of grief and sadness when a familiar dies. While some people may not understand the depth of feeling we have for our familiars, you should never feel guilty or ashamed about grieving for an animal friend. Here

View the full article

• Thanks 1

Ad from Google

Moonhunter

I read this and couldn't resist posting it. for one thing, it's by Lady Abigail. That there "Lady" tells us she's a special pagan, with special wisldom.

And then, it's not about losing your pet. No sirreee. It's about losing a familiar. A very different animal. Or is it? Can you spot the difference? :P

• Like 1

Rebecca.Backus

I was going to ask Is there a difference? Then I read your post MH now I'm unsure if I'm asking a stupid question (yet again :) ). I would be absolutely devastated if I lost my gorgeous Staffy boy or my lovely little lady cat, I love them almost as much as I love my kids but I don't think of them as familiars. Oooh do I have familiars and not even know it? Hmm

• Like 1

Moonhunter

all I know, Becca, is that some witches use a particular pet to help with their magic. I'm sure there's a thread (or maybe two) about it either in the pet's corner or magic & ritual, if you want to take a look. :)

Rebecca.Backus

Well my cat and dog would be a great help with eating and sleeping spells but not much else lol ;)

Rebecca.Backus

After a mooch through the forums I have come to the conclusion my pets are definitely not familiars the only help they give me is usual pet help ie allow me to fuss them make me smile etc they don't sit quietly while I meditate and definitely do not pass me packets of sea weed for my spells as I don't do spells. They are very sensitive to my moods and I believe they see much more deeply than I am capable of so I can see how with the right animal who is happy to cooperate, magic could possibly be enhanced with their interaction. It's an interesting subject.

Pomona

MH, you're in full on cynical mode today aren't you :lol:

Maeve

Hey ho! No cat of mine has ever been a familiar - if any escapes into the temple, they march about with total disregard for circles and boundaries .... :) Total disdain .... save for one very special cat called Ghost, who became fast friends with my OH and HP. There was some spiritual bond there which has never been spoken of ... and Ghost did not have much time for me! So, jury is out on the subject with this juror slightly sceptical :)

Moonhunter

MH, you're in full on cynical mode today aren't you :lol:

yep. It's just one of those days. You look at what's arrived from around the web and you sigh. :P

• Like 1

Freydis

Whenever I see someone describing themselves as a "special" pagan with "special" wisdom I reach for my axe........ :o_viking:

Cris

I had my boy Merlin taken away from me too early.  Killed on the road 

he is my beautiful black cat 

I’m left devastated and empty 

i so want him back desperately 😢

• Sad 1

Jackal Girl
17 hours ago, Cris said:

Cris, I'm so sorry for your loss 😔

OdinsDaughter64
Posted (edited)
On 10/6/2013 at 11:22 AM, Rebecca.Backus said:

I was going to ask Is there a difference? Then I read your post MH now I'm unsure if I'm asking a stupid question (yet again 🙂 ). I would be absolutely devastated if I lost my gorgeous Staffy boy or my lovely little lady cat, I love them almost as much as I love my kids but I don't think of them as familiars. Oooh do I have familiars and not even know it? Hmm

Good point there Rebecca!!!

Animals are so pure and open, they come in our lives and shower us with unconditional love. To them we are their family. Ive had a fondness for cats all my life and had many cats in my house. Each of them being so different with their own personality, their odd little habbits. Some being very active, lively, clownish, cheeky, caring, etc. I did loose both my two first cats who both reached an age of 20 so I was lucky to have them with me for all those splendid years. They were one male and one female. The female (Luna) I lost in a terrible horrific incident. She was atacked by the two neighbourdogs. She didnt survive trying to escape over the fence. I had to listen to the event. My neighbour came and said she was so sorry though up until this day I still wonder if she knew my cat was out. Im not saying "it" was her fault though in my opinion it isnt a "normal" thing for dogs to atack a cat.at the foot of

I burried Luna  myself at the foot of a tree, later Mori, the male died of diabetes.  He was the opposite of Luna, Luna was a very active lively cat, she went out whilst Mori didnt. Mori loved to lay in his favorite corner in the garden. In summer he hid in a bush, it was his way of clowning though I believe he didnt feel well at times and I didnt know he had diabetis until later when I had to inject him with insuline. He became slower and coulnct climb stairs that well or hed just stay in the attic.  These are both, Luna being the one with the dark nose.

Lovecats to the bone!!!

Thanks for giving me some fond memories back

Greets

Anne

moor plus luna lovecats.jpg

Edited by OdinsDaughter64
grammar errors
  • Like 1

moonwolf

I have two cats, they've owned me for 13 years I thought we would loose Spooky a couple of times but he keeps bouncing back. They become close family members from day one and I'm dreading the day they go but I know I only have them for a while. Not really a dog person (especially small yappy ones) I was raised with working dogs and yappy little carpet crappers so give me a cat anytime

• Like 1

moonwolf
On 7/24/2020 at 6:13 AM, Cris said:

Hi Cris,

I had a black cat called Merlin he to was killed on the road after my ex let him out, He was black with dark grey stripes only a six month old kitten when he died, I was due to collect him from her the next day, all she said was 'oh yeh the cats dead' I hope she enjoyed the curse i left with her, i know from friends her life went to crap afterwards 🙂

This is Merlin on my shoulder one of his fav places to chill

dscn1359jpg_576662574_o.jpg

• Sad 1

Cris

I am so sorry  It doesn’t make sense does it.  Your boy looks so much like my Merlin. All I have now is his ashes. I’m dealing with it now most days and I’ve had a couple of visits from him but I know I have to let him go on his onward journey but I really don’t want to let go.  My other 2 cats have struggled with the loss but they seem to be dealing with it now. Thank you for your message. 

Cris 

moonwolf
On 8/12/2020 at 9:24 AM, Cris said:

I am so sorry  It doesn’t make sense does it.  Your boy looks so much like my Merlin. All I have now is his ashes. I’m dealing with it now most days and I’ve had a couple of visits from him but I know I have to let him go on his onward journey but I really don’t want to let go.  My other 2 cats have struggled with the loss but they seem to be dealing with it now. Thank you for your message. 

Cris 

Thanks Cris,
It's hard to loose a friend and family member but as platitudes go 'time heals all wounds' fits one of the saddest things i have seen is on the way to work one morning i saw a cat with his head pressed against the head of his twin (colouring) dead in the road, these two feral cats obviously lived together and the one left looked so sad, i moved the dead one under the hedge so no more damage would be done.

I got my boys Raven and Spooky about a year after Merlin died and they are still running me around changing their minds on food and sleeping places 😄.
Where we are now has 35 cats in our road so no more dead voles or rabbits. Ravens claim to infamy was bringing a dead rat into the house that was over twice his size when he was a kitten, Spooky was once stalking a fox cub in our back garden unaware it's mum was watching him from the hedge the picture when all three became aware of each other was quite funny.