Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Can An Area Pull You To It?

Guest Quiet wave

Good morning. I have spent the last few days reading and clicking away in the starters orders and I am feeling so happy right now.

What I would like to ask is, I have seen people talking about researching about your local history to help you to understand your own personal connections. I feel connected to water, it draws me to it I feel relaxed elated and so peaceful. Yet I live miles from the the sea or any type of water :-(

I live in essex, but yet the one place that seems to to call me is north wales. I went to a beach there about 13 years ago and I just cant forget the feelings I had there.

So really what I am asking is, to find a connection do I look into the town I have lived all my life or wales? Or am I going about it all wrong? Thank you for reading and I hope I haven't rambled too much!

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I think it can, I have a particular attraction to somewhere other than home and when I am there I never want to leave, it felt like that the second I went to the place and has kept me going back, only finances stops me from living there and responsibilities to relatives.

North Wales is lovely BTW Agreed my favourite beach there is Whistling Sands beautiful !

I think a place can call but you have to be able to answer by going there often to deveop a relationship. I don't think you should ignore where you are either. But that's easy for me cos I'm already in Wales and feel knitted into the fabric of the landscape.

So I can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else for long, though Scotland does call to me as a place I like to visit.

I felt like that when i visited Dartmoor. But I'll never live there, and I agree with hamadryad - you really need to live somewhere to develop a relationship.

I'm not sure what you mean about wanting to find a connection. Is this something you feel is vital before you can express your spirituality? If so, and you can't move, then I suggest you look for places near to where you live that call to you. :)

I think it definitely does.

I haven't been able to live in my homeland now for many years ( although I'm getting geographically closer with each move!) but it calls to me constantly. I try and visit Wales at least once a month and doing so refreshes and restores me. I feel more at peace and happier once I'm "home".

Water being an important element, I would say, of course you can be drawn to it - if you do astrology or know someone who does, maybe it is worth exploring the water signs in your chart! You might consider a study of moon-connected topics - the moon draws the tides and, some say, the water in our own bodies, by the phases!

There's lots of wonderful water in Essex: the Crouch, the Blackwater and the Colne Rivers - many creeks, Haningfield Reservoir ..... plenty to visit and see if they stir and call to you - and much nearer than Wales - although, that too is a wonderful country!

I'm very much drawn to water - any water. I feel much more comfortable now we're living on a river's banks. I feel drawn to certain places too, but I do think that it's hard to develop a relationship with somewhere if you're unable to spend much time there. I'd start off by looking locally to see if there's anywhere you can feel a connection. Water would be a good starting point? There must be some water near you, even if you're not close to the sea or major rivers.

I find myself incredibly connected to York, although I never know why. I always feel like I have 'been there before' as in a previous life. I feel affinity not just with the history, but the place just speaks to me, drawing me in. It feels like home to me. People think that I would get 'bored' of the place after a while, or get fed up of the tourists but no.

• 2 weeks later...

well, think of wiltshire, there is stonehedge, thousands of burial mounds/chambers....and many other ancient area, people have been visiting and intrigued to this part of the land for thousand of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Drombeg in Ireland, its a magical place the power there is just awesome, they say its from the bronze age but it feels older much older.

• 2 weeks later...

I was born and raised in London apart from a few years when we lived in Australia. yet I've never been at home in London. The first time I visited Cornwall in 1974 I knew straight away I had a connection to the land down here. Whenever we came here on holiday I always felt like I was coming home rather than visiting. We used to travel down over night and I always slept in the car as I didn't drive then. The minute we crossed the border I'd wake up and know we'd arrived. It took me over 30 years but I finally made it down here to live. :)

Aye, most defiantly!

It's strange what will lay dormant inside of you for however many year, then you visit a specific place and something just clicks.

I was asleep in the passenger seat of a car no more than 3 weeks ago and the decision was made by the person driving that we'd go to see Stonehenge... as soon as we were in the surrounding area I suddenly jumped awake like an electric shock had gone through my body. The hairs on my arms on the back of my neck were standing on end and I knew I was in the presence of something..but what ? As we drove further round I then realised where we were.

I will spare you the story but ever since being there I feel different..a yearning to return. I have stood high in the mountains at delphi and experienced a similar sort of feeling..of energy but it was nothing in comparison to this.

Will be going back..sooon.

I have had a very weird experience along these lines... when I was 8, I wrote an essay to win a BSA English Racer. 3 speeds. OOOOh! I wanted that bicycle SO badly I could taste it (it was English Racer green with black and white racing details.... I can still see it, it was simply the most wonderful thing.... LOL life was so simple then) . The essay was "how my community has ties to the english industrial revolution" - I wrote about the Birmingham canals, sa my home city also has miles of canals dug by the same people as the Brum canals, and even did a drawing of the portcullis at Dudley castle.

I won the bike, and my essay won a state competition. But, I was 8 and that was a long long time ago.

When I came to visit here, to meet someone I'd met online quite some time ago, we went to the Zoo for a picnic, and I saw the portcullis, and vaguely remembered the paper. So, I asked Mum the packrat who did still have the paper... she sent it, and I wrote.... "I will one day live in the Shadow of Castle Hill...".

A few years after I landed here (a few miles further than the shadow of castle hill, but not all that far) I did some family research.

In about 1630, my family moved from England to the new world... and they came from.... the town immediately next to the one I now live in. I had never known where they were from, just that they were "English from the Revolution time".

I do believe you get pulled towards, and feel affinity towards, places that have connections.

:o_wink2: Taz

• 1 month later...

I too felt pulled toward an area near me with water and trees. When I inquired people said it was haunted so I was wary to stop but every day I drove past I had to look toward it and felt a girl calling for help. I eventually plucked up the courage and stopped. It was very peaceful I put my hands in the water and hugged the trees. Next time I drove past I heard a thank you, I now only stop when I feel stressed

A good friend who is not pagan recounted visiting Arran in Scotland. On stepping over the side of the boat and getting his feet planted he said looked up and it was as though the land rushed up to him to greet him. The feeling, he said , was as though the land knew him well and that he had been there and lived there before...

In my teens I visited The Ogwen Valley in North Wales. I felt a connection there and it has been special for me since. Since I have been drawn to. The west and north of Britain. Studied in Edinburgh and in recent years have been visiting with my partner. Here near The Peak I have learned to find a deeper connection with the land - and this learning has helped me find a deeper connection with my long term favourite places that I visit.

Incidentally where I live now is on almost the exact latitude as Ogwen...:)

But back to the point of the thread, I think a place can resonate with one's energy on many levels. And vice versa.

Edited by Earthdragon

can a place resonate- yes..but then I'm Shamanic so it is core to my beliefs that the spirits of a place can and will call out to a receptive mind

near us up here in County Durham we have a small burn at eastgate, a Roman altar was found by the side of it an the later 19th century - and so it is obvious that it has always been held in some religious respect

It has a place where a natural waterfall (alas with some concrete at the top nowadays) tumbles down a good 15 to 20ft drop into a relatively circular pool which then drains downhill to Eastgate

Whilst out at this magical place a couple of years ago (in mediumitic shamanic mode) i saw a white clothed "Druidic or priest" figure on the small platform to the right of the fall..he had his hands above his head holding a higly polished "Bronze ?" bowl of perhaps 6 inches diameter and 4 deep which he was pouring someting into the pool

as always when I tried to concentrate with the scientific side of the brain (archaeologist mode) the figure evaporated away

thought you may like to see the place I am talking about

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/Wodenborn/waeardale%20and%20shamanism/PICT0021_zpse59cfef5-1.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/Wodenborn/waeardale%20and%20shamanism/PICT0018_zps8a3fb626-1.jpg

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/Wodenborn/waeardale%20and%20shamanism/PICT0005_zps7017265d-1.jpg

chris

it's a great place to sit on the rocks and have sandwiches and coffee and just...be

Co Durham is full of lovely places...it's just that we don't want everyone to know - otherwise they won't be quite so lovely :o_youpi:

Herefordshire is the same. :)

In the early years, when I had first come here, there were places I went to where I looked down on the vales and felt I had stepped into Tolkien's Shire. And maybe, knowing the walking habits of Lewis and Tolkien, I had. But also, a god of the land was pulling at me. Eventually he revealed himself, but not before he had me crying for the beauty of the land.

Though I also love the loneliness and wights of the moors, this is now my home. There are many places in the UK and in France I would love to live; but, ultimately, my heimat is with the gods. And here seems to be where they are content for me to live. :)

but that doesn't prevent me hearing the siren calls of other places. ;)

The first place that I really felt at home at was an Iron Age Hill fort in Epping forest called Loughton camp

fantastic magical place, almost never visited and so quiet, one could sit there under the trees on the inner bank and drift and just watch nature

it also had a ghostly legend associated with the place...in one book written by a forest warden (sorry I forget the title but it was over 40 years ago that I read it) a druidic procession was supposed to go through a certain part of the earthwork...so of course I had to investigate..never saw it though - shame

Epping Forest holds so many good memories for me, studied Ecology and Conservation there for several years. Wasnt Loughton camp supposed to be one of Boudicas stop off points before sacking Londinum?

Epping Forest holds so many good memories for me, studied Ecology and Conservation there for several years. Wasnt Loughton camp supposed to be one of Boudicas stop off points before sacking Londinum?

no that was Ambresbury banks nearer to Epping...also said to be the place (in local lore) where she killed herself - utter bunkum of course

another great place for a visit btw

• 2 weeks later...

ED

i i find a spirit problem, I'll do my best to move them on, or get rid of the forces that have been summoned in (not as easy)...nature takes care of itself given time

• 2 months later...

I have no doubt at all that areas can pull you to them very strongly, as can specific small places. It's noticeable though that we seem to be drawn to rural places - you don't often har of people feeling drawn in quite the same way to say Oxford Street, or a factory! There is a "holy well" in Northumberland called Lady's Well which has an amazing feel to it that just oozes with tranquility. It is situated beside an old roman road, and a small nunnery was built there in the 12th century. A christian saint is said to have baptised people there. So it is clear that it has been a special place long before christianity found it, (I suspect very strongly it will have been a Roman religious shrine too well before they got christianity) and that feel persists to this very day. I have taken atheists there who have nonetheless felt something about the place and come away quite surprised at how strongly they picked the feeling up . I always think of the line from "Innisfree" "where peace comes dropping slow" when I am there, as there is just "something" about it. See HERE and HERE for pics.

Can a place pull you to it ?? .. I would say definitely.

Im originally from London, but now live in Bedfordshire. There are places both here and in London that I love, but only two places have ever made me feel content and happy with the universe.

They are.. Loch Lomond in Scotland..... a stunningly beautiful area.... the water and the forest around it just felt.. "right" to me.

And.... Woolacombe in north Devon.... its my spiritual home. I go whenever I can.. and one day I WILL retire there. I remember the very first time I went there it just felt so familiar.

I have always been drawn to Dartmoor, even when I lived on the edge of it. I now live in Hampshire, but Dartmoor still calls me.

Im drawn to Dartmoor too and a specific piece of woodland in Cornwall

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2