Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

English Heathen Vs The Hammer

Guest cosmic55

Unless I'm mistaken, the Hammer as a talisman was never big with historic British Heathens. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on it (adoption or rejection today), or if there is a popular alternative there?

Unless I'm mistaken, the Hammer as a talisman was never big with historic British Heathens. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on it (adoption or rejection today), or if there is a popular alternative there?

Cosmic...

historic British Heathens.....Pagan Anglo-Saxons??? or neo Heathens ??

Not as much evidence from Anglo Saxon graves of hammers as from Scandinavian sites - but they are certainly not unknown ...see Audrey Meaney Anglo-Saxon Amulets and curing Stones1981

.In Neo Heathenry in Britain the Hammer is almost obligatory

I guess it depends what you mean by historic. If you're referring to Anglo-Saxons my knowledge is not that extensive (I know more about the Norse side of things) but I thought that hammers were around if not ubiquitous?

In present day Heathenry I agree with Wodeborn the Mjölnir is the symbol adopted by the majority. I'd say it's the one you see more than anything else.

The Anglo-Saxons had all sorts of amulets...strange as yet unidentified bits of metal, foreign coins, miniature implements (Tweezers, swords, spears - yes hammers)...crystal balls - of which elsewhere, rock crystal, amber, amethyst, "Thunder Stones" - Belamites...all sorts of things

the amulets were much more common with women's burials than mens...

a very brief precis of a very large (and worthwhile reading) book

we would all rather be able to use the fylfot, but can't, for obvious reasons. ;)

the commonest is the mjollnir. Second commonest is the valknut. I tend (as Lokean and Vanatrur) to avoid the second and only occasionally wear the first (I have a steampunk version). I have a nice silver longboat and a double headed axe I'd rather wear.

I don't possess a Mjölnir at the moment. I do have a Valknut, but I don't wear it very often - there has to be a reason. The Fylfot is, of course, illegal here so that's not a option. I tend to be careful actually as anything that looks like runes can cause raised eyebrows - sadly runes in general have dubious associations for a lot of people.

in truth, most of the time i do not wear an amulet....on the rare occasions that i am investigating a place that i know to be nasty and hostile i usually opt for my freya pendant

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t374/jimgod43/Ebay%20Green/AVCP014-A_zps954c8734.jpg

and one particular place that i have been (3 times now and it never gets any easier there) i put on everything i have

I have several hammers and a raven pendant (just to be a tiny bit different). I would have worn a valknut, but shy away from it now, due to the 'insert spear here' connotations. Wouldn't have bothered me enough to stop me before, but I have a family to look after now... ;)

sadly runes in general have dubious associations for a lot of people.

Oh, von List and all that. Yes, I can understand. :(

and one particular place that i have been (3 times now and it never gets any easier there) i put on everything i have

ah yes. that reminded me of a place I'd go armed like that, if I eery had to return.

I would have worn a valknut, but shy away from it now, due to the 'insert spear here' connotations.

I have a cagey relationship with the Ferryman. One of my gods doesn't want him around, due to his tendency to take over. OTOH, he doesn't seem to mind Loki. I make an offering to the blood brother once a year, and I've once let him in, when I had a steep learning curve to navigate, and he wanted to watch. A friend gave me a very fine drawing of the Ferryman, which I wanted to keep, and one I didn't. Mr F wouldn't let me bring them into the house, or keep either. :rolleyes: So a valknut is not an option for me.

da da daaaaa

and where might that place be?

( sorry everyone if this reply is off topic :o_wink: )

thought I pm'd the link to the videos ?

if you ever drive north for a couple of hours i'll take you there...its quite an experience at times