Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Tarot - When To Begin

Wanderinghawk

The best way to understand Tarot, is using playing cards...maybe it seems odd, but you soon understand how to understand them. Tarot was created in 14th century, it origins, are like finding a pin in a hay stack, so basically we only know about them from scholars, of that period. It was used has a game, like modern day playing cards games. Until new decks were used, which included Major Arcana, which were used has Trump cards, a deck of 22. Which are now used has they are today, for reading. The Minor Arcana, are 56 cards, divided into four suits, which include 14 cards each. These are also used with or without the 22 other cards. Minor is called lesser suits, or lesser secrets or whatever person likes to call them. Major is called Greater Suit, or Greater secrets, or knowledge based cards. Therefore, learning them, is one thing, it takes a long time, it is used only has a tool, but sometimes used to seek knowledge in many witchcrafts, like a place where you can seek for truth, but it can also provide some puzzles. Runes are the same, it was also a game, which told stories, do not ask, why, they were placed into the Witches, for leisure pursuits, not like they had TVs or game consoles, or reading materials.

Edited by Exdaemonus

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

It was used has a game, like modern day playing cards games. Until new decks were used, which included Major Arcana, which were used has Trump cards, a deck of 22. Which are now used has they are today, for reading.

No, the game included the trump cards. And it is still played on the continent. I have played it. :)

Runes are the same, it was also a game, which told stories,

No, they weren't, I'm afraid. Runes are an alphabet. That's what their use was - for writing. Writing ordinary things, because they were the only alphabet in the countries that used them. Until Christians arrived, with their cursive script. People made up poems to help remember the alphabet, and we know of a few of these. We tend to think that attaching meanings to letters is off, but that's how many (all?) alphabets are formed. They begin as pictograms. Some of the runes have different meanings in different poems. One or two have meanings so obscure, we can't be certain what they were.

do not ask, why, they were placed into the Witches, for leisure pursuits, not like they had TVs or game consoles, or reading materials.

They weren't placed into the hands of witches by any arcane or hidden source.:) People tended to use any object they could get their hands on to use for divination. My mother was taught to use ordinary playing cards, though she never recalled the meanings as it didn't interest her. A friend of mine who grew up in Pakistan was also taught to use ordinary cards. But many did not have access to such things, and used what they had. For example, medieval documents frequently mention a lost tool - the sieve and shears. Many who could not afford cards would have these tools. Unfortunately, we have no evidence from the period to tell us how they were used.

• Like 3

There are lots of different ways of working with the Tarot. I have found that depending on how you work with them and what you are aiming to achieve can effect how easy/hard they are to work with.

I agree with others here that reading for yourself can be very difficult. As well as knowing yourself to well you can also be to attached to the reading outcome and therefor influence the cards you get. For example I started to find that if I had an subject which was important to me then I would often hope for the cards to point in the direction I would like them to. More often then not they did, even to the point that sometimes the very cards I wished for would turn up. I can not explain this but it did stop me in my tracks and made me question the reliability of the readings I was doing for myself. It seemed to just be a reflection on my current state and nothing more.

Now using the cards to see what your current state of mind and feeling is fine. As long as you know that is what you are using them for. This way can be quite good in therapy type settings where you use the cards not to tell you what is going to happen but as a way of looking into your personality and maybe even uncovering some blind spots.

Other ways of working with Tarot are through meditation and guided journeys, using the card as your setting for your visualization. This can be quite a fun way of learning about the cards. You can enter the cad by being yourself and observing everything happening around you or you can see yourself as a character from the card and see what you learn from that experience.

I know some people use the cards in magick, although I have never done this myself.

Some writers also use them as inspiration for stories. A single card can help with character formation and a number of cards can help with narrative making. This is also a good way of learning how to read the cards because at the end of the day all readings are a form of narrative and story making.

The point I am trying to make is that there are many doorways into working with Tarot, if you find one way more difficult then maybe try one of the other ways. Find what works best for you.

I have a Tarot pack, looked at the symbolism some years ago, but decided it was unnecessarily complicated and that life was too short to be bothered any further.

Then again, I've never really been that interested in divination; what little I have done has needed nothing more than a "yes/no" type answer - for which tossing a coin is as good as any.

I did create a Greek alphabetical chart for divination based on the so called Limyran Oracle (see http://www.newsfinde...greek_alphabet/ ), but have very rarely used it and am currently unsure where I've put it...

Edited by Ellinas