Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

What Is A Spirit?

Guest Fortuna

Well...... just that. What is a spirit? I hear people talk about them all the time, but being Pagans there are likely to be as many different understandings of what "spirit" means as there are Pagans (probably more). And I think it would be interesting to hear a few definitions.

So, ghosts...ancestors.... wights.......? Or figments of the human imagination?

Mike

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

So, ghosts...ancestors.... wights.......? Or figments of the human imagination?

Mike

Or "all of the above"?

I think for some it's a catch-all, like several things in paganism.

To me it's normally the spirit of a place; either non-specific (feeling/atmosphere) or specific (nymphs, dryads, etc).

• Like 1

I don't tend to use the term. Heathens tend to have the catch-all "wights", which really (in modern times) covers what others might call spirits of place, dryads, undines etc, and elves.

ghosts are ghosts. :lol:

• Like 1

I use the term spirits interchangeably to denote things like dryads, naiads, wights, brownies, ghosts, animistic entities etc etc. It's a catch-all so far as I'm concerned and is a handy word to encapsulate many types of being.

• Like 1

Hello,

For me 'spirit' could be a lot of things, which isn't that helpful. I think spirit can be how a place feels but also I think it can be ghosts. I see it as a collective term for 'things'. I don't think I have ever used it for things like the element representations though.

I know something 'spirit' when I see it or you know feel it :o_youpi:

Wanderinghawk

I tend to use the word as nicer way of saying Ghost. Though I can see why people would attach it to something like the feel of a place. Though I would also attach it to something like an elemental (tree spirit, water spirit and there for I guess place, but I've never really thought about it like that).

To me spirit is the energy associated with a person, place, or thing that can't be seperated from it and travels with it in all its forms, here or in the otherworld. I also think of a collective spirit that runs through everything and is an extra level of attachment binding things together with energy and creating a symbiotic relationship, that can either be instructive or destructive depending on the conditions at the time, end blurb! but that's how see spirit

• 1 month later...

For me, spirit can mean a few things. It can mean the nature of a place the general interpretation we make of a place based on our senses and shared experiences. Quite mundane really.

Then there are our ancestors or people that we have loved and lost over the years that we mourn for and remember in a way of our choosing. I think that sometimes we externalise that loss onto places sometimes.

The last one. I am not certain of but I think that we maintain a kind of collective genetic memory of experiences not shared directly. It's the reason why we might sense the destruction or sadness, bleakness of a long forgotten battle. The remains of a collective experience. But like I say I am not too sure but it is the only explanation I can think of in connection with certain experiences I have had

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

simples peoples...everything has a spirit, spirits are everywhere of everything nature spirits , animal spirits and human spirits...even quantum theory is now proposing the existance of life after physical death

now the question you need to ask is why are the human and animal ones hanging around

and I dare say some Troll is now going to come along and say no to this and no to that and no to everything - because in some way it offends them, their rigid mindset, their rigid religion perhaps...what is clear is that they always do..theres none so blind as will not see, I suppose it makes them feel better attacking someone different so they can feel superior...I have taken so many, and such personal attacks over the years, and yet as soon as they have a personal experience it all changes..or they have a br4eakdown because they cannot cope with the dichotomy...or they say..I imagined it, but get them to go back to the place that they had the experience

sorry there is a lot of spleen and hurt from years of such abuse that it tends to come out aggressively

but I and others see them, talk to them, get messages from them, help them... and even these days record them

go almost anywhere and be quiet, let yourself go a bit and pay attention to the images that you receive...its a great big universe out there...go explore

right thats my tuppence - who's first in line with the stones to kill the heretic

Just an example - not going to bore you all rigid with things you are not interested in..a single recording from a session at what I consider the worst place I have been, the place has been contaminated by rituals..no not wiccans, heathens, Romans and alike but by perverted Christians in Satan worship

http://www.mediafire...slowed_down.WAV

there are no radio signals and no phone signals in the area before someone chirps up...and the P-SB7 only gave pertinent information in response to questions

I have to go back and heal the place some more when I can

Edited by Wodeborn

To me spirit is the energy associated with a person, place, or thing that can't be seperated from it and travels with it in all its forms, here or in the otherworld. I also think of a collective spirit that runs through everything and is an extra level of attachment binding things together with energy and creating a symbiotic relationship, that can either be instructive or destructive depending on the conditions at the time, end blurb! but that's how see spirit

Sounds a fair description to me

Well, I am distinctly more materialist than the average pagan in my outlook, but I often find that certain places affect me on a psychological and emotional level. I tend to refer to this as the effect of (ancestors or) perhaps wights or 'spirits of place' upon me. It could just as easily be a simple psychological effect - I am not so sure in my beliefs as others seem to be, but I do know of my own experiences and currently choose to relate them to my heathen worldview.

• Like 1

Wodeborn...... I'm almost scared to question you now! This is not in any way meant as a disparaging question, but you say that everything has spirit........ what I'm actually asking is what a spirit is. Is it an echo..... energy ........ a soul?

Mike

Mike the easiest description is life on a different vibration of existence to ours, occupying vibrations near to ours and at times overlapping...everyone at some time should be able to see or feel spirits...some more so than others, just as some people are better runners or have better eyesight or better hearing

some are continuations of life that was here and is now on a different vibration, or in the case of nature (and other) life forms which have never been and never will be Human or animal

as with everything it boils down to energy, the difference between raw energy - say a nuclear reaction and a spirit - is that the spirit has self determination - thought and self awareness, but at the very core of its being it is energy - as are we...energy made manifest. on this vibration of existence

interestingly the energy of spirits seems to be observable in the UV spectrum at certain times and also consider the images obtained through kirlian photography

A.... only one of many...but I must say it is the most disturbing that I have obtained...at this particular place we had 4 claims of a murder taking place in one area...I've cleansed it and released a few...but more are still held there.

I can offer slight proof - if of course you'll accept my proof as proof enough...some people will never have enough no matter what..so I am usually prepared for the usual FFFF OFF

I see animal spirits everywhere as well as humans..getting any proof is harder,,,however, having seen a dog at this particular location (not the one above i hasten to add) on a whim I asked aloud whether the dog would bark for me

http://www.mediafire...arkwhorlton.WAV

the woof was followed by a yound womans voice saying (I believe) I did it - made the dog bark for me...I have recorded any number of dogs barking now, and a friend has a cat miaowing...

and then from an abbey near me there is the following 2

asking about prooving existence of spirits.. http://www.mediafire.com/listen/uqccpu23jaznl6k/16._Proving.wav

and asking for a name http://www.mediafire..._Name..Mark.wav

Edited by Wodeborn

Wow, I never even knew these sorts of devices existed! MH is right, those recordings are shockingly good. You've just opened my eyes in a way I didn't think would ever happen. I've always believed in spirits/ghosts/souls, whatever you want to call them, but to actually be able to hear them like that... incredible. This requires thought!

Spirit is a word I use because generally other people sort of know what you're talking about when you use it. I do prefer the term soul to spirit. But as to what it is... yes, I would go with the life force. The spark. The energy. It holds the thing's personality - the essence of what they are.

Would you say that the essence is the life force or energy and the patterns of vibration within the sentience are the personality?

If our own vibration could detach from our body - as many claim it can - would we be similar to a" ghost spirit"? or do they manifest on a different vibration?

How can a spirit create fm transmissions?

ED

the vibration is merely the place where it inhabits, there is not a vibration here and a vibration there...it's analogue, multiple vibrations close to each other, the closer they are the more they can interact, the further away the less, rather like radio stations on a waveband...

if by detach you mean astral projection or spirit walking, then we do detach the consciousness into another but close vibration, called an altered state of consciousness by many, but we physically cannot do this...the body is fixed in this vibration of existence, the mind, the consciousness is not

with the P-SB7 the communications are not created by spirit, the signal, of whatever wavelength is merely modulated rather like us modulating the passage of air through vocal chords to produce sound...they modify what is already there...one common facet of the communications is the re-use of the enquires voice pattern to give a reply - many times the comment will be - ooh it sounded just like you

I am not entirely sure how EVPs are created although again I suspect that it is a modulation

clear EVPs were captured at RAF Tholthorpe - if you can bear to watch one of my (shorter videos) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwDf2DniIJk

as anyone who practses magic will say..the mind can be a very powerful thing

Thanks for sharing these vids/recordings..seems the EVPs are intelligent and come from spirits...our conversatuon reminds me of research into near death experience where the conclusion was that mind and perceptions are based on a sub -atomic level...and therefore are not tied to one location ie. The vibrational energy can move out of its usual location...as well as change to a different level.

I think this fits with my experiences of energy work...what might be called magic- the extension of intention through extending energy and mind....

My Druid teacher has abilities like yours Wode...nice to have another take on such things... thanks! :)