Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Energy

Wanderinghawk

Hello All,

Hope everyone is surviving the storms! Watching and listening to the weather we have been having of late has given me time to sit in doors reading, pondering. It has also reminded me of the sheer power nature has and the energy out there. This then led me onto another subject, that of energy.

Throughout my reading I keep seeing ‘raising of energy, grounding of energy etc’ and I know that when I was first reading about paganism, wicca and witchcraft I read a lot about rising energy and manipulating it.

I have read previously how meditation can be a form of raising energy, but I’ve never really got my head around that. If anything I always had the feeling that meditation was a way to help balance and even ground energy.

So I was wondering, do people actively raise energy here, and if so how do you do it, if you don’t mind me asking. Do you do a sort of ‘keep fit’ energy work out? The best way I can explain my mind ramble is, like meditation the more you practice the better you become, I thought perhaps people considered the same to be true with raising energy. So my next question is does anyone do a daily energy workouts?

Thank you.

Wanderinghawk

As a Heathen "raising energy" is not a phrase found in our religion. To me, it suggests Wicca, though I may be wrong! :lol:

I do working (spellcraft) because I'm a witch, but I can't honestly say I thin in terms of "raising energy", though no doubt many others will. :) To me, working is focus. As is meditation. Grounding is also meditation, to me.

I'll be interested to hear of the other takes on this :)

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Like, what even is energy? When I focus with "magical" intent (for lack of a better way of putting it), I feel a rush, like a buzzing or power of some kind. I've always called that energy, but the word seems so... vague and unsatisfying. What is it really?

To answer you, what I do is visualization -- I imagine pulling this sensation up through the ground and all the way up my body until every part of me feels "charged" so to speak. By the time I've finished, my mind is usually so focused on that that I can start meditation properly. Maybe it's just me being hyper aware of my body, though. Maybe that's what it feels like to be aware of the sensations in your body more fully?

Curious to hear what people think!

energy work is key to shamanism...the ebb and flow and the concentration if it is to be used...which i would never do of course...ahem

only in good causes...healing, protecting and getting rid of nasties....honest guv...

actually i try not to do much because of the consequences...seeing the consequences before the action makes it all seem a risky venture

sorry this is going towards Wyrd and i never meant that...apologies..am tired

anyway..once you have concentrated the energy what do you do with it...something for good i hope

I can't pretend I've devoted a huge amount of study to this topic but, to my mind, what in some circles is referred to as "energy" (in the supernatural sense as opposed to the scientific) is basically what the Greeks knew as "Aether", which I think of as the final philosophical element, the bond that holds and sustains all others, including non-corporeal entities (I suppose I think of it as the "stuff" the gods/spirits are made of). In terms of magical practice, it's the reason seemingly unconnected acts (acts of sympathetic magic for example) can bring about change in the physical world. In terms of things like "raising energy", I can't say I think of it in those terms, but certainly I'd argue that in order to perform an act of sorcery, conjuration, healing, blessing, cursing, divination, whatever, a "ripple" or alternation in aether/energy is required, like throwing a stone into a still pond to use a well-worn cliché. That's how I tend to approach it anyway.

Energy this and energy that! You hear it all the time in Paganism. People energise their crystals or their runes, but when questioned give vague answers and normally end up talking about the fact that quartz vibrates as if that explains it all.

I personally feel that when groups or individuals work together to "raise energy" they are doing something, but that "energy" is a misleading term. If it were energy it would be measurable using scientific instruments. I feel what they are doing is finding ways to focus or to clarify their intent. Still powerful (never underestimate the brain) and I think that doing that is more impressive than muttering words and actually believing that energy has been generated.

Mike

Please excuse me being exhausted and perhapse sounding more terse than I should...everything is just coming out - splat at the moment...please don't take offense

I'd argue that in order to perform an act of sorcery, conjuration, healing, blessing, cursing, divination, whatever, a "ripple" or alternation in aether/energy is required, like throwing a stone into a still pond to use a well-worn cliché.

it's rather like that yes..once the movement starts it has a momentumn of it's own..like getting a car to roll by pushing..the hard bit is to get it started..after that not as much is needed to keep it going or indeed increase..unless going uphill that is..for uphill in this context read someone or something blocking

energise their crystals or their runes

nope don't do that...cleaning of past associations if needed but charging up...no..= .actually I don't use either runes or Crystals I just cleanse for others if they ask...

If it were energy it would be measurable using scientific instruments

in an experiment at an ASSAP convention sort of thing ages ago when I was still a member someone managed to move a set of finely balanced scales within a glass jar...might still be on the ASSAP site I don't know I lost touch when they became more uber-sceptic in approach and i felt like a pork sausage at a bahmizvah

I was tested as a kid for abilities (bending/predicting sort of things)...but being treated like a lab rat with a do this do that..and again,,,and again,,,I stopped playing ball..and refused to co-operate....and don't perform on command anymore

probably accounts for my attitude of refusing to give personal readings or doing stage work

as to that addage of giving proof...nobody can "Give" proof the seeker needs to find their own proof or there will forever be that doubt

I can't pretend I've devoted a huge amount of study to this topic but, to my mind, what in some circles is referred to as "energy" (in the supernatural sense as opposed to the scientific) is basically what the Greeks knew as "Aether", which I think of as the final philosophical element, the bond that holds and sustains all others, including non-corporeal entities (I suppose I think of it as the "stuff" the gods/spirits are made of). In terms of magical practice, it's the reason seemingly unconnected acts (acts of sympathetic magic for example) can bring about change in the physical world. In terms of things like "raising energy", I can't say I think of it in those terms, but certainly I'd argue that in order to perform an act of sorcery, conjuration, healing, blessing, cursing, divination, whatever, a "ripple" or alternation in aether/energy is required, like throwing a stone into a still pond to use a well-worn cliché. That's how I tend to approach it anyway.

I'm not familiar with the "aether" idea. I don't suppose you have any idea when it was suggested, or by whom? I can't recall it in Attic thinking in the 7-5th century bce, which is really what I'm most familir with.

The reason it intrigues me - the idea as you express it - is that it bears some similarity to the Heathen idea of wyrd. Except that wyrd is not the stuff gods are made of. On the contrary, the gods are as subject to wyrd as anyone else is. But some Heathens have suggesated that seidr, divination or magic are tapping into wyrd and tweaking it.

I've said that I don't think of what I do in terms of raising energy. I've known one Alexandrian witch of long standing (was in Sanders' coven) who told me that his coven dances etc to raise energy, so some folks do that. And you'd feel it. I have used and shaped the mass cathexis of a xrowd attending a ritual for my own purposes, though I don't make a habit of staling from other people in that way. What i do when working is more like gathering together myself and my environment and channeling it down to a laser point. Meditation is completely different. The purpose of that, for me, is to cross between the worlds, so I need to do almost the opposite of what I do when working. If I accomplish it, I become incorporal. Time changes.

Edited to add - ah, Aether was the god of the air that was breathed by the gods. As a concept, it derives from Aristotle. I should have guessed! So many medieval ideas come from that man! It's mainly a concept of early and middle medieval alchemy. Interesting...thank you! I can use this in Book 9. :)

Revival Druidry and its successors use the term Nwyfre to mean a kind of life energy or Qi/Chi in modern eastern terminology. It is raised by such things as eating healthy wholefoods, performing exercises and meditating, the kind of stuff that makes you healthier and more relaxed. It is also very similar to the concept of the Force in the Star Wars universe in that all things possess life force, even rocks and the land itself. In three element systems (land, sea, sky) it is the supernatural element of Air, just as Calas is the supernatural element of Earth and Gwyar is the supernatural element of water. In traditional four element systems (earth, air, fire, water) it sits apart along with Awen as transmundane elements.

Basically, if you want to raise energy - eat your greens, go for a run, de-stress!

The Force has actually always made sense to me as a concept, haha! Lucas must have picked up the idea from a selection of religions, Jedi are really just warrior monks when it comes down to it! But if raising energy means I have to eat well, I might be out of luck... the natural diet of the postgrad consists of foraged meals wherever they can be found!

In all seriousness though, what actually is the physical sensation? Do you guys reckon it's adrenaline or something? Or just awareness?

In all seriousness though, what actually is the physical sensation? Do you guys reckon it's adrenaline or something? Or just awareness?

I would say so. I can do what you describe. I know, because I have done it once or twice. I didn't do it more than that because the sensation is fairly akin to known practices in the Western Mystery tradition, but my own practice takes me in a different direction. I do not seek to have that mindfulness of my body, but the reverse. I seek to sit behind the waterfall with the hidden folk, in the place without time.

I would say so. I can do what you describe. I know, because I have done it once or twice. I didn't do it more than that because the sensation is fairly akin to known practices in the Western Mystery tradition, but my own practice takes me in a different direction. I do not seek to have that mindfulness of my body, but the reverse. I seek to sit behind the waterfall with the hidden folk, in the place without time.

I can't actually conceive of how one would achieve the reverse -- would you say it's like, almost an absence of that energy, then? What is it, in your mind, that actually makes your workings effective? If that makes sense?

the natural diet of the postgrad consists of foraged meals wherever they can be found

doesn't it just...or scrounged...and never refused

and the last week of term as an undergrad always seemed to be the oddest combinations of anything thats left

cheap baked beans on spaghetti was pretty bad :o_youpi:

I can't actually conceive of how one would achieve the reverse -- would you say it's like, almost an absence of that energy, then? What is it, in your mind, that actually makes your workings effective? If that makes sense?

what is above is my journeying/meditation state, not my working state. The working state is focussing down the laser point. :)

cheap baked beans on spaghetti was pretty bad :o_youpi:

veggie mince soaked in oxo gravy and cooked with other veg in a dried oxtail soup made with only half the required water, makes a decent faux spag bol.

I really don't recommend a diet of muesli, though. i tried that for a month (got an unrefusable deal on wholesale quantities of muesli and dried milk). It does stange things to the digestive system. ;)

oh brings back memories...used to go round the supermarket at about 7.30 when things were being marked down

and I was one of the better off...one or two on the corridor I helped out at times as they had next to nothing

how about smash (yes the powdered potato) sandwich...that was pretty bad too

Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. It's very interesting hearing about everyone's experiences.

I like Akitla have visulized a connection between the earth and me. Whilst I would admit that to me I 'feel' something, I can't exactly say what it is. The best way would be to say that it's like someone has given me a bit of a sugar rush.

Like Badger Bob has suggested, I see the concept of the 'Force' something that I can relate to but I'm not sure how, like Luke, to work with that Force.

Do people actively do work with energy, not for magical reasons, but for just fun or would people see that as a big no no?

Do people actively do work with energy, not for magical reasons, but for just fun or would people see that as a big no no?

I mean, why not? If you can do it, it doesn't seem like something that would be wrong in any way?

the question is not one of can you but of should you..i find that as i've got older and hopefully wiser (although there is considerable doubt on this point) I do less and less only interfering when I have to...otherwise, i feel thimgs are better left alone and not considered a plaything for the ego

ye gods I must be getting old

the question is not one of can you but of should you..i find that as i've got older and hopefully wiser (although there is considerable doubt on this point) I do less and less only interfering when I have to...otherwise, i feel thimgs are better left alone and not considered a plaything for the ego

ye gods I must be getting old

Interesting thought. Am I right in saying that because energy exists there is a balance and that by doing anything to draw upon and for better want of a word play with it, you would be upsetting this balance?

For example, there are energy exercises where you are drawing upon your own inner energy to manipulate, to see how it exists etc. if it is about balance, would doing something like this cause the balance within yourself shift?

However, when I look at it from another perspective I can't help thinking, if there are magical workings to be done and some people do use energy to help in this process, isn't there a need to practice using energy, learning how to raise it, direct it before using it for a given situation.

On another note, that is a beautiful bike in your picture, Yamaha?

Interesting thought. Am I right in saying that because energy exists there is a balance and that by doing anything to draw upon and for better want of a word play with it, you would be upsetting this balance?

Interpreting this within the concept of wyrd, then the answer to your question is "yes", if you don't sort out the effects on wyrd first, as near as you can.

However, when I look at it from another perspective I can't help thinking, if there are magical workings to be done and some people do use energy to help in this process, isn't there a need to practice using energy, learning how to raise it, direct it before using it for a given situation.

For people using this method (or any method!) - yes.;)

there is always a balance, nature works in a system of balance..tip te balance and we get problems,,,it;s the same with natural energies..tip the balance and problems start

now some people dont care about tipping balances and responsibilities and paying the price for what they do...

usually ending up leaving the mess, rather like a picnic site in beautiful countryside where they've dug at the grass, left fag ends all over the place, beer cans and remains of fires - not giving a shite about what happens after they leave

Bike - Triumph Sprint RS 955i...custard torpedo

there is always a balance, nature works in a system of balance..tip te balance and we get problems,,,it;s the same with natural energies..tip the balance and problems start

now some people dont care about tipping balances and responsibilities and paying the price for what they do...

usually ending up leaving the mess, rather like a picnic site in beautiful countryside where they've dug at the grass, left fag ends all over the place, beer cans and remains of fires - not giving a shite about what happens after they leave

Bike - Triumph Sprint RS 955i...custard torpedo

So is there a way to work with energy without upsetting the balance? I've never actually done any energy work, but I'm curious by it. I think it is interesting how some paths seem to say that it's one of the first things you should learn to do and others say really it shouldn't be used because of reasons we have discussed.

I've never actually done any energy work, but I'm curious by it. I think it is interesting how some paths seem to say that it's one of the first things you should learn to do and others say really it shouldn't be used because of reasons we have discussed.

which paths are you thinking of that use it, hun? because I#'m thinking you may be better off seeking advice from expereinced people on those paths. :)

I've never actually done any energy work, but I'm curious by it. I think it is interesting how some paths seem to say that it's one of the first things you should learn to do and others say really it shouldn't be used because of reasons we have discussed.

which paths are you thinking of that use it, hun? because I#'m thinking you may be better off seeking advice from expereinced people on those paths. :)

Well it's mainly Wicca based religions I've seen it mentioned and I don't follow that, not that I'm completely sure what I follow.

I am most attracted to the idea of Pantheism, this is what I keep getting drawn back to time and time again. In my weird little head I see this simliar to the 'force' or as I use to call it the giant 'blob' (yeah not great!). In this thinking I see the universe as energy, everything is connected via this energy, therefore I think that you could work with this energy. I do however believe in balance and can see the point that you shouldn't just work with energy, pull on it, direct etc just for the sake of it.

All in all a big jumble of thoughts and questions! :o_confused:

Sorry for the ramble.

Well it's mainly Wicca based religions I've seen it mentioned and I don't follow that, not that I'm completely sure what I follow.

I am most attracted to the idea of Pantheism, this is what I keep getting drawn back to time and time again. In my weird little head I see this simliar to the 'force' or as I use to call it the giant 'blob' (yeah not great!). In this thinking I see the universe as energy, everything is connected via this energy, therefore I think that you could work with this energy. I do however believe in balance and can see the point that you shouldn't just work with energy, pull on it, direct etc just for the sake of it.

All in all a big jumble of thoughts and questions! :o_confused:

Sorry for the ramble.

The problem as I see it, hun, is this: i would agree that the concept of working with energy resonates to me as Wiccan. Consequently, if I were you, if you want to work with Wiccan concepts, you need a reliable Wiccan teacher. But they are hard to come by, and tend to confine themselves to thise who wish to follow that path. Oh, and there are Wiccan pantheists out there. MY own HP was one such - but it is very difficult to find a coven (any coven!) willing to accept a novice.

The alternatives are that you experiment yourself, or you find someone from another path and learn things their way. :)

Always an interesting topic for me...

Meditation, in my opinion, can be used to raise energy, or balance, or ground it, it really depends on which type of meditation you are practicing. For example, healing yourself, grounding or using it to calm the mind in general, or maybe if you are using meditation as a tool for questing, astral travel or opening doors to other realms as such etc you may draw on the energies to raise to accomplish your task in hand.

The best way i have found to raise my own energy, or at least heighten when i'm feeling a little tired or lethargic, is practicing Tai Chi Qigong, or visualization techniques (white light seems to work best for me) or drawing in the sun or the moon depending on what's in the sky at the time lol.

However this feeling/action is described, adrenaline, magic, chemical reactions within the body- if it's working for you then don't knock it :)

Always an interesting topic for me...

Meditation, in my opinion, can be used to raise energy, or balance, or ground it, it really depends on which type of meditation you are practicing. For example, healing yourself, grounding or using it to calm the mind in general, or maybe if you are using meditation as a tool for questing, astral travel or opening doors to other realms as such etc you may draw on the energies to raise to accomplish your task in hand.

The best way i have found to raise my own energy, or at least heighten when i'm feeling a little tired or lethargic, is practicing Tai Chi Qigong, or visualization techniques (white light seems to work best for me) or drawing in the sun or the moon depending on what's in the sky at the time lol.

However this feeling/action is described, adrenaline, magic, chemical reactions within the body- if it's working for you then don't knock it :)

Not completely sure what Tai Chi Qigong is, I know what Tai Chi is but not the other bit, sorry. Do you raise energy to give you a natural buzz or do you also use it for other reasons, if you don't mind me asking.

This link may help to help describe Qigong...

http://nqa.org/resources/what-is-qigong/

I use it for many reasons to be honest, i have a busy lifestyle so it helps in that respect to keep me going without burning myself out, using & controlling my own energy & tapping into the energies around me, restoring Chi. I am also a Reiki master as well as a channel for other healing systems, so i tap in to them when needed for myself as well as for others & sending back out into the Universe. So i work with energy as a natural part of my life in so many different ways & for so many different reasons.