Galaemar Laerareon

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Grounding In Magical Working

Guest Fortuna

An encounter with someone over on the Facebook page got me thinking. I felt this particular person was living in a sort of fantasy World and it occurred to me that most people I know who call themselves Witches seem to be very grounded (for want of a better term). They seem to be down to Earth and "no nonsense". I know reality is very often subjective, but I wonder how a person can bring about change in the web of life if they live in a world of fantasy and make believe.

Now I a not overly knowledgable about things magical, so I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions. Is it important to be down to Earth in their approach to the World...... or is a wild and fantastical mind useful in the working of magic? Is it useful to have an imagination? Or is it only useful to a point?

Mike

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

I've known people on the edge work magic. How effective it was, both in terms of their intent and the outcome, I don't know.

But fantasists?....nah. :lol:

• Like 1

I think the term Hedge-witch describes my thoughts on it: there is a line between the world we live in and the world we step into when working Magick, I don't spend all my time in that other world because I'm a human being and not equipped to live there. I dip my toes in and get out again. It's not a place I care to linger, you (well, I) would feel the grip on reality (this reality) loosening which would make it difficult to function in this world.

So to answer your question Mike, I think you have to be pretty grounded, grounded enough to tell the difference between that reality and this, grounded enough to recognise your limitations, grounded enough to recognise that as a mere mortal, *this* is the plane you live on, grounded enough to make sane judgements about your reality and how to manage and if necessary, manipulate it.

• Like 3

Hello,

A very interesting question.

I think I have quite an imagination but when it comes to the witchy side of things my practical head comes into full force, perhaps more so than any other time in my life. One of the things I have always come a bit unstuck on when travelling this 'witchy' patch is when something does happen that I can't quite explain I have always put it down to me imagining it. I'm trying to accept that some times things happen that I can't always explain.

Equally though I think having an imagination helps. I know I am a visual learner and because of that I spend a lot of time visualising certain things related to my path. Does this mean i'm not grounded and have a sense of reality? I don't know. I do know that just because I visualise myself being protected by a nice shield doesn't mean I can walk in front of a car and not be hurt, that would fruit loops crazy.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a witch so can't comment on how they work I'm afraid. I do work with shamanism though and to do this as with hedge witches you need to be grounded as much of the time you are shifting between different realities.

I can be fully here or fully somewhere else and need to be grounded so I can return easily but equally I can be partly here and partly there, I call it walking the line, having a foot in both worlds as it were. If I wasn't grounded I wouldn't be able to do any of this.

I also believe that being grounded is important, that we are here in a physical body for a reason and if we are not feeding and nourishing it with earth energy then we can become very sick. That lovely spacey away with the fairies feeling is great for short periods of time but not very practical in the long run.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mike, just noticed this thread.

Should someone be continually connecting with earth energy through convoluted visualusations, though you could not tell externally, would that mean they lived in a fantasy world?

Should they choose to refer to their visualisations to those around them would that change things?

When do things become a problem? As you say the answers are quite subjective...

Maybe some of your down to earth friends would not appear to be should they be open about their inner ( and outer!) experiences...

What Im trying to say I guess is that we judge based on outward behaviour...and if one has a rampant imaginative visualising experience inside then this may well effect magic very well...

Should one believe fantastical delusions as being true then this will always be a symptom of a problem I would say...

ED

Edited by Earthdragon
  • Like 1

Basically how do we differentiate psychosis from anything else? Is it a dryad in the tree or my mind being slightly unhinged? This is a serious problem...with all the recent Arthurian debunking etc, how are we to re-act...

Well, I think that one of the answers to that is the presence of harmony. Should one be seeing dryads in every tree and that is a source of discontent then yes its a problem. Should there never be any dryads discernable when once they were and that causes discontent , well again thats a problem...

However , if we retain a sense of balance then even if our experiences are partly unhinged then the ramifications are pretty mild...

This links to experiencing gods and goddesses. How do we know what or who we are experiencing?

An answer is that in all situations we need to hold to our own sense of balance and harmony and what in our Druidic system we call "appropriateness". Its basically a honed conscience for want of a better description.

Can you explain what debunking you are referring to?

ED

Debunking was in referall to the recent Ian hislop prog on bbc. I only refer to dryads etc as an illustration that some will throw on us. Angels, God and saviours/saints remains the p

see i consider myself to be a grounded person, i can act sane to most of the world around me but that doesnt stop me from thinking there may be magical creatures around that do still exist and can be spotted but as wanderinghawk said, i believe most of these sightings are put down to imagination, or a trick of the light. for instance, how many people travel to scotland every year hoping to catch a glimpse of the loch ness monster? then theres the theorys that nessie is actually a pleosaur (pardon me if ive not spelt it right, really need spellchecker on here) that has managed to survive and has a hidden underwater cavern under loch ness where it lives and occasionally comes out and gets spotted as 'nessie'

as for dryads coming out of trees, i do think that in the forest where the trees are really old, you can still feel the energies of the trees around you, which could be considered as dryads, but they no longer have the capability to fully manifest in our world as people have stopped believing in fantasy creatures.

it is said that the gods and goddess of greece (and probably in other cultures too) lost their powers once people stopped believing in them and worshipping them with gifts and prayers, so maybe that is the explanation, too many people have lost that belief in their lifes for these creatures to still exist

sorry if im rambling, really tired, and maybe just a little bit crazy too lol

Debunking was in referall to the recent Ian hislop prog on bbc. I only refer to dryads etc as an illustration that some will throw on us. Angels, God and saviours/saints remains the p

I'll have to look at it sometime...

I've been a member of a traditional Druid Grove for two years - I've not had Arthur mentioned to me once. When in the early days I asked about him the reply was "ah, a French bedtime story"..

Regarding those sorts of things I sincerely believe that those things you mention should not ever be projected onto people . That they have in the main been used as a psychilogical lever to control people is another matter...

ED

see i consider myself to be a grounded person, i can act sane to most of the world around me but that doesnt stop me from thinking there may be magical creatures around that do still exist and can be spotted but as wanderinghawk said, i believe most of these sightings are put down to imagination, or a trick of the light. for instance, how many people travel to scotland every year hoping to catch a glimpse of the loch ness monster? then theres the theorys that nessie is actually a pleosaur (pardon me if ive not spelt it right, really need spellchecker on here) that has managed to survive and has a hidden underwater cavern under loch ness where it lives and occasionally comes out and gets spotted as 'nessie'

as for dryads coming out of trees, i do think that in the forest where the trees are really old, you can still feel the energies of the trees around you, which could be considered as dryads, but they no longer have the capability to fully manifest in our world as people have stopped believing in fantasy creatures.

it is said that the gods and goddess of greece (and probably in other cultures too) lost their powers once people stopped believing in them and worshipping them with gifts and prayers, so maybe that is the explanation, too many people have lost that belief in their lifes for these creatures to still exist

sorry if im rambling, really tired, and maybe just a little bit crazy too lol

Well, I tend to feel energy from all over the place. And yes I think that believing in entities as an expression of that energy will make it possible for the mind to create the perception of that entity..

But that doesn't answer whether non human entities exist or not...whether they exist without us believing in them...and how we can discern between being unhinged and being connected and perceptive.

I think being grounded is about having a stable sense if self and retaining balance. When dealing with energy and the esoteric ( deity etc ) then these areas should assist in relating to the world healthily too. And that , in the main is hopefully is reflected in yhe petception that others have of us...

ED

Well when things are open to interpretation its healthy to have an open mind. We can build things in to our thinking and tools and sense of self which are to some fantastical and can also be open minded about the absence of definitive proof. So its being open to our imaginitive side but keeping things real..its the " I'll choose to act and feel as though this visualisation is actually happening and my energy is taking the form of a dragon and use the empowerment that it gives - but I know its a subjective feeling all along" type attitude.

I thought I'd add that being grounded doesn't preclude having an epiphany type of experience where everything seems to shift in one's perceptions. I think this can happen when one sees or feels or can do something outside everything that has gone before..

A path is mature and holistic if it nurtures a grounded connected sense of self that will cushion us from the potential shock of such things...I remember when I first saw elementals...far out and weird but didn't freak me out..I suppose my sense of self wasn't threatened by it. And it also links to protection which, as I see it, works as protection from outside oneself and also by cleansing of less than useful inner processes which may be brought on by external events...

Earthdragon

There is definitely a theory that equates a deity's power with how much worship and belief humanity invests in them, but this poses huge problems for the majority of reconstructionists if it is the case. As someone who worships a mixture of Greaco-Roman deities in my experience they are very much alive and kicking :)

As for the boundaries between psychosis and "seeing" - it is a problem for some. As someone who has had my fair share of mental illness it's something which is always an important consideration. But generally, those who are truly psychotic don't have the wherewithal at that moment to rigorously, logically and calmly question whether what they are experiencing is real or imagined. Delusions are also, like Earthdragon says, often accompanied with a sense of discontent/fear/upset or a loss of perspective and self (at least in my experience). But the best way to tell for sure is good old SPG. If you can find a way to corroborate what you experience with the existing body of knowledge and other people's experience, then you're almost (not always) home and dry.

To the original question - yes, I think being grounded is important. Being imaginative is helpful, of course! In devising new spells and rituals, in using new and imaginative ways to better connect with the powers being used and the get to the heart of the Other, imagination is vital. But being grounded enough to know what is real - and what is pure wishful thinking or day dreaming - is the only way to find real magic. After all, You can spend your whole life trying to create a world that doesn't exist, but you'll never be successful. It takes grounding, clarity of vision and knowledge to tap into the powers.

On the other hand, I know someone whose understanding of magic etc seems pretty trite and unrealistic but whose spells have sometimes been undeniably successful. Life is a mystery sometimes! :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I think I'm going to make a new thread out of Veggie Dancer's post, as it isn't really a continuation of this theread. How you don't mind, hun! I'll post the link to it in a minute. :)

Link here: How do Gods Appear To You?

• 2 months later...

what is reality?

we only see the world the way we have been conditioned in how to see it

i know this may sound 'ungrounded' to some but i 'escape' into 'other' worlds/realms, i believe there is these 'other' places

my reason for escaping into these other places or just thinking about the characters of these places keeps me going & keeps me strong when things are really bad, because i love these places, they are peaceful, i have always been a day dreamer ever since i can remember, looking out of the classroom window, could not focus on the lesson , could not concentrate

but i am a grounded person believe it or not, i carry on as usual in this reality that we live in, as a single mum, home schooling, house work, trying to find a job, shopping all the usual mundane crap that we all have to do [except for the home school bit]

its a coping mechanism for me, ive certainly had a rough time of it & this is how i deal with it, ive never been diagnosed with mental illness apart from depression, but if every now & again im away with the fairies so what if i am

now what do u think of me? lol :o_youpi:

• Like 1

I think you're an amazing woman, Charlotte! You've got so much to cope with every day and you seem to be coping admirably with it!

• 7 months later...

As someone who does Knowingly dip her toes into the Magical World for very sound reasons (to me), I was taught to be prepared to do so as if I were going to do a specific job. (of sorts)

1.Make sure I had the 'Right Tools' for the Job. (Protection,Self and Place)

2.Make sure I knew where I was going.(Knowledge Intent,outcome desired)

3.Timing, don't be too quick, or slow. (do your bloody homework!)

4.NEVER do anything around Magic if you are Ill or even vaguely 'under the weather' (this is sheer stupidity)

If you wish to embark on this Path, You must be Aware that you are messing with Energies, Entities, Elementals , Deities and Other assorted Powerful Beings.

You cannot expect to turn up on someone/thing else's Home turf and go 'Ta Dah!' and then think you will be welcomed.

This is Both dangerous and stupid..in my book.

I compare it to the Recoil on a Big Gun,You can easily get covered in your own crap and knocked off your feet.

But in this case you are messing with your mind and Peace of mind.

So Caution and Research is advised and Lots of it!

As for Grounding in Magic.. well see notes '1 through 4' ! :o_nono:

Well when things are open to interpretation its healthy to have an open mind. We can build things in to our thinking and tools and sense of self which are to some fantastical and can also be open minded about the absence of definitive proof. So its being open to our imaginitive side but keeping things real..its the " I'll choose to act and feel as though this visualisation is actually happening and my energy is taking the form of a dragon and use the empowerment that it gives - but I know its a subjective feeling all along" type attitude.

I thought I'd add that being grounded doesn't preclude having an epiphany type of experience where everything seems to shift in one's perceptions. I think this can happen when one sees or feels or can do something outside everything that has gone before..

I agree with this ^^^ I think you have to suspend your disbelief to a good extent to get anywhere with any kind of mystical/ divine experience or magical activity. Like earth dragon said about 'choosing to act and feel as though this visualisation is actually happening etc..' As you start off with your meditation/ exercise/visualisation or whatever you aren't 'in the zone' you aren't aware.. I feel like you have to use a certain amount of imagination and give yourself over to the activity to make it possible. To do it and not question (at least not until later) Maybe past experiences help you 'believe' but sometimes actually I find it doesn't help, I feel impatient get back to something I've felt before or and it distracts me.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread Ladybird, it's good to read it again now, with different things on my mind.

The reason you give are why some use rituals Veggie Dancer....to get to'the zone' so to speak.

Not all of us have to though....... ;) :o_yikes:

• Like 1