Monica Soto

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Ramblings' Of A Slightly Crazy Insomniac.

Guest fibrowriter

Ok, so having spent a lot of time reading this forum and links I have found.

I am when it comes to the 'god' Christians/ Catholics worship, an atheist.

Due more to a fact, as a child at boarding school I had these rammed down my throat daily( along with my deadly nemesis the latin language).

But prior to this I had lived all the way up in Shetland for 12 years,the shetlanders have alot of norse influence.

So I find ,the norse gods call to me and always have. So much to say I would be happy to 'worship' these gods.

But, at the same time I find I am pulled to wicca to a certain extent., specifically I think the spell work.

Now, I came across runes and sigils ( how do you pronounce that?) while reading and the runes specifically pulled to me a little more than the sigils. But only by very little.

I also know deep down i am a warrior, I will stand up to anyone and anything, if I believe they are in the wrong, my characters in my stories are always strong warrior women.

I believe becoming a mother, makes warriors of us all.

So. Norse, wicca, runes/sigils and being a warrior, and im a very solitary person.

Is there a pre named path for the above? Or is it all my own rambling mind?

Can anyone direct me to more info in sigils and runes?.

.x

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

So. Norse, wicca, runes/sigils and being a warrior, and im a very solitary person.

Is there a pre named path for the above?

Nope. How about 'my path'? :)

Can anyone direct me to more info in sigils and runes?.

I'd recommend Sunnyway for runes.

I've not looked for any webpages on sigils, as I learned from people. Let me see... OK, this one is a decent intro to the basics. What he calls "casting" is what I am more familiar with as "charging" and there are many, many ways of doing this. But one of the important things about sigils is to forget them. Destroy them. Let them go. I was taught that a sigil is a piece of magic that cannot be undone. so you have to get it right first time.

Yes definatly my path.

Thank you for the links I will investigate further.x

sigils ( how do you pronounce that?)

Taking it from someone who spent years pronouncing it almost the same as seagull I was informed on several occasions that it is most commonly pronounced like 'Sid-Jill'... but I've heard it pronounced in many ways.

As for the chosen path, I'd say try to avoid 'labeling' it (at least at the moment)... That is where the wonder of the word Pagan comes in; there is no solid definition.

• Like 1

Yes as I was pronouncing it, I definitely had a seagull sound to it.

My path has been nicknamed the crazy daisy fibrowriter path. :-)

Also I'd say that not all magic is wiccan!!! IME the main thing which denotes wiccan magic as opposed to other types is that they focus a lot on working in a circle and calling in the four/five elements. But there are all sorts of other types of magic it's worth looking in to. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Norse religion has its own form called Seidr. Then there's "Traditional" magic (some of which is just wicca in disguise, some of which is completely different. It depends who you ask and which books you read).

Hmm yes, I do see what you mean, so a little more digging needed .

But there are all sorts of other types of magic it's worth looking in to.

Yep. The Greek & Roman magic is different in form - defixiones and necromancy, for example ;) Each pre_Christian religion had its own methods.

Seidr isn't really magic - it's more a means of divining. There were witches in the pre-Christian Heathen cultures, who dealt in out-and-out magic, though we're a rarity among modern Heathens. and a lot of the techniques haven't been handed down, though a lot of the herb-lore has.

Then there's "Traditional" magic (some of which is just wicca in disguise, some of which is completely different. It depends who you ask and which books you read).

to my mind, there's the genuine trad witchcraft, which depends more on trying to interpret clues from artefacts and remaining texts, as nothing was passed down, and Wicca. and, as SMC says, many people pass themselves off as "trad" (which tends to be seen as more glamorous at the moment - that will change!) when all they know is what is published about Wiccan things. so they make things up - but somewhow they still include circles, and quarters etc :lol:

to my mind, there's the genuine trad witchcraft, which depends more on trying to interpret clues from artefacts and remaining texts, as nothing was passed down, and Wicca. and, as SMC says, many people pass themselves off as "trad" (which tends to be seen as more glamorous at the moment - that will change!) when all they know is what is published about Wiccan things. so they make things up - but somewhow they still include circles, and quarters etc :lol:

Oh don't, it's terrible! :P It drives me crazy when they do that. Trouble is 99% of books which use the words "Traditional Witchcraft" are essentially Wicca with attitude. Nice if that's what you're looking for... really annoying if it isn't. I mean, there are some intersting and useful ideas in them, but the majority of it is rubbish. And all the books I'd class as good for proper traditional witchcraft (e.g. Call of the Horned Piper) are far too short!

I think what has got me is virtually everything that pops up in Google almost always leans towards wicca, or it leads to it eventually.

Is there any links or books that lean to the more traditional?

it depends what you mean by the 'more traditional' hun. What sort of thing are you thiinking of? The "traditions" that follow one person who wrote down their practises, are all 20th century, AFAIK. Though most will make claims of traditions going back centuries, the reality is that modern trads are inspired by older practices, rather than representing an unbroken line.

As far as proof of practices older than the 20th century - these tend to be fragmented, AFAIK. stuff like the artefacts in the Pitt Rivers museum in Oxford, or the Scottish collection of magical practices dating back (IIRC) to the 19th century. You may find more information in the "Bookworms" section of the valley, if you search.

I don't know of any websites I'm afraid :(

The books which I most enjoyed reading on "trad" magic are a few books which generally discuss witchcraft in history and make it applicable today. Personally I'd recommend "Call of the Horned Piper" by Nigel Jackson, "A Deed Without a Name: Unearthing the Legacy of Traditional Witchcraft" by Lee Morgan and "Craft of the Untamed: An Inspired View of Traditional Witchcraft" by Nicholaj de Mattos Frisvold. If you want a very practical book which is a mixture of wicca and traditional (in my view) but is still worth reading, I'd say "Traditional Witchcraft: A Cornish Book of Ways" (you have to buy it direct from the publisher) and Raven Grimassi's "Old World Witchcraft: Ancient Ways for Modern Days". Take them all with a critical eye and see if anything in them works for you :) and as MH says, look under the bookworms section for other suggestions - these are just my personal favourites :)

If you get really stuck in and want to get more academic, check out the books by Owen Davies and also by Emma Wilby :)

Thank you for the book choices.

I think what I mean by the more traditional magic is what I imagine the witches right down the lines in history would have practiced.

To me that says spells, candles, herbs.

A natural master of being awkward

Thank you for the book choices.

I think what I mean by the more traditional magic is what I imagine the witches right down the lines in history would have practiced.

To me that says spells, candles, herbs.

If you want herbs, the best thing is to buy good books on herbs and study to be a herbalist. otherwise, Stephone Pollington's "Leechcraft" is a complete book of what we have of Anglo Saxon wtichcraft dealing with herbs (that branch of witchcraft was called 'leechcraft' in Anglo Saxon.)

I'm not sure that anyone bothered with candles. I suspect that's a New Age thing.

Spells...well, it depends what culture, really. We know something about Roman magic, and "Leechcraft" or else Bill grissth's excellent work on Anglo Saxon magic covers the Anglo Saxon period. We don't really have anything from the Iron Age. Anything after that is into the early medieval period, so is mixed up with Christianity. then you start running into alchemy and the Elizabethan Christian magicians. Most of what we have from the late medieval period and later is all ceremonial magic. then, as I say, we run into some collection of "folk magic" from early Victorian times - but that probably only goes back a couple of hundred years. It's difficult to say.

then we're into the 20th century and Wicca/ neo-trad witchcraft.

a good place to srat is to read the history of modern witchcraft in Ronald Hutton's book "Triumph of the Moon"