Haylee Linton

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Picking A God

Guest Sundog

How do you personally decide which god to work with/talk with?

Is it what suits you to be with personally ? I'm not talking about working

with a god.I was thinking more of a daily relationship with a deity.

I have a pull to the Norse ones,though I haven't pucked one.

Does it sound absurd to talk to one whilst in pensive meditation mode?

Another amateur question from Sundog ......

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Excuse me while I laugh hollowly and say "you'll learn, laddie"

That is not meant to sound patronising btw, just the voice of experience. You don't pick gods. You don't have a shopping list and I'm afraid it's not like picking a girl at the dance. When it comes to gods, you pretty much wait and if you're fated, you'll find out in due course. Apply the voice of reason - would you really expect to just point at a supernatural being of vast intelligence, potency, and immanence, and say, "tag, you're it, I wish to have a meaningful, long-lasting relationship with you"?

If you feel drawn to the Norse (or indeed, any) pantheon, then read, see where you feel drawn, and if drawn to particular gods, explore more about them, what they like, how they interact with people, and start making tentative overtures to see if you get any response.

Don't think though, you will be "picked" by a god. Not everyone is, it's not essential, and to be honest, it's no picnic when you are. So proceed carefully.

• Like 1

Sorry Pomona,hope it didn't sound so bad as that.

I think I was thinking also of when you offer gifts to one or more ,say on an altar.

My apologies.You have put me right once again,lol.

Absolutely no need to apologise :D

Okay, you can't offer to *all* of them, nor would you want to. You don't want to encourage gods that you actually don't want to have anything to do with for whatever reason. So imagine you meet a group of people. You don't want to walk up to the first ones you see and ask them to be your best friends. You see what the dynamic of the group is like, and who you get on with. These are the ones you end up gravitating towards. It's exactly the same with gods. You could make a general offering, see how it goes down, same way you might take along a bottle of wine to introduce yourself to new neighbours. Just don't go doing anything specifically directed at particular gods until you've started to twig which ones you feel the closest connection with. Don't go with who sounds the coolest, baddest, etc, be prepared for some left-field connections. You wouldn't believe the number of folk who ask here "do you recognise a god who looks like this?" because it's not one of the "main" ones...

• Like 1

I have just read one of your replies to another post along the same lines.

I am very spiritually receptive. I got the idea now.Dead scared though if I'm

honest.

If ,and I mean 'if' one connected,this sounds daft ,but how would I know

which one it was?

I entertained Christianity a few years ago, but really do feel this is/has always been

me. Everything seems so natural and unforced.

You'd know. I can't tell you how! because it's different for everyone, but if you're meant to know, you'll know. That is really pathetic and ineffectual and not a lot of help, but nobody will be able to tell you any different. You get messages about which god is interested, and that seems to manifest initially by having a really strong interest in them, maybe getting dreams that pertain to them, seeing their names or symbols everywhere. But ultimately you make educated guesses and at some point come to the realisation of who it is. That's the point you mentally clap a hand to your forehead and realise how stupid and blind you've been... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Pomona,thank you,that is so well explained.

As a newbie,these are the sort of things that

you must have heard a thousand times.

This forum is giving me so much good feeling,

and like been released to my proper destiny.

Absolutely no need to apologise :D

Okay, you can't offer to *all* of them, nor would you want to. You don't want to encourage gods that you actually don't want to have anything to do with for whatever reason. So imagine you meet a group of people. You don't want to walk up to the first ones you see and ask them to be your best friends. You see what the dynamic of the group is like, and who you get on with. These are the ones you end up gravitating towards. It's exactly the same with gods. You could make a general offering, see how it goes down, same way you might take along a bottle of wine to introduce yourself to new neighbours. Just don't go doing anything specifically directed at particular gods until you've started to twig which ones you feel the closest connection with. Don't go with who sounds the coolest, baddest, etc, be prepared for some left-field connections. You wouldn't believe the number of folk who ask here "do you recognise a god who looks like this?" because it's not one of the "main" ones...

^^^^^ This! :D I was knocked sideways when I had my first brush with deity. I'd been strictly atheist for several years but always assumed that if I would get along with any gods, I'd work with the Celtic or maybe the Anglo-saxon because I am very interested in British lore and British traditions, and have strong ties to the area of land I was born in, just outside of East Anglia. I researched them and although I liked the Morrighan - not sure like is the right word, but hey - I never felt connected. I was the seeker, not the sought; and I know now that generally that doesn't work out to be the most effective or deep relationship. Then I had a dream where a goddess came to me who was unlike any I'd come across. It's all in the forum histories on here :D I did a lot of research trying to match the qualities of the goddess I met to a name, and when I finally found it, it was like she said "yup, that's me." And that was the beginning of meeting a fair few deities from that pantheon.

Like Pom says, deity might take and interest in you and deity might not. To be honest it's a curse as well as a blessing and not something that should be wished for lightly! It's just like a relationship with any other being and it takes an awful lot of your time and effort to make it work. There are sacrifices - and I don't just mean a bit of incense or a glass of wine :) I mean energy and money and sometimes trusting them and doing things because they know best.

But equally I wouldn't be scared. Generally if a deity approaches you, it's because you interest them. They like you, and that gives you an advantage! Most things are nice to people they like. And you always - ALWAYS - have the right to say no (no thank you is probably preferable!) and walk away. You don't have to work with deities and you'd be no less Pagan if you decided that you didn't want to or if you just didn't have a connection with them.

Patience, in my opinion, is one of the first lessons of any spiritual path. If it's meant to be then it will be, and if you have to wait for it to happen then if and when it does happen, it'll be all the sweeter for it - because you will have more perspective and understanding and appreciation.

Samhainmooncat , I reckon your spot on, if it's gonna happen it will.

I'm not going seeking, I reckon Paganism is about patience, so I will,

take it easy , a long learning curve.

In my experience, and the experience of all 'hard' polytheists I know, you don't pick a god. That's a bit akin to saying which celebrity in the papers do you fancy as a friend? :P If I god wants to know you, then he or she will probably let you know, in no uncertain manner. If no one is interested, then you won't get anywhere, no matter how hard you try.

If one is interested, it might be one you've never heard of, or one that has nothing to do with a religion you feel attracted to. For example, what convinced me to be a Heathen, was two or three Heathen gods coming calling. However, I have also had a passing relationship with a Hindu god and a Greek goddess before then, and with a couple of Egyptian gods since. And a Roman one. I didn't ask for any of those, and one relationship in particular severely disturbed my religious ideas! :D Some people I know - including me at one time - have been contacted by a god or goddess who took years to make him or herself really known. Others are not contacted at all (so far).

The best thing is not to feel you have to have a relationship with one. It isn't essential. However, if someone particulary attracts you, you could ask him or her if it's possible to have a relationship? Try finding out what s/he likes and offering him or her something they are known to like. Find out more about him or her by reading any associated myths. If no one does particularly stand out for you, then leave it for now.

And, by the way, I really wouldn't advise trying to work magic with a god you have no regular relationship with. That's just asking for trouble! :lol:

• Like 1

^^^^ What Moonhunter says! If contact is made, you will come to realise it even if it takes some time to do so! Cherry-picking deity for one's own purposes is just not a good idea and usually does not work or may be retributive! Magical work can be done without the input of gods/esses - by your own efforts and personal energies and elemental energies.

Sometimes, a god or goddess will lend a hand but not be wanting a "relationship". Sometimes it is the other way - there can be an on-going relationship but no help with the magic ... and so on, and so forth! IME gods and godesses are as individual as humans are :)

• Like 1

One thing to also remember, you can have a relationship with a deity without being 'picked' by them. Over the years I have had relationships with two strong female Gods (one Celtic, one Greek); but I would never consider myself chosen by them, just that they offer guidance and direction from time to time.

Another thing I would do (which I guess you already do as you mention that you are spiritually receptive) is to pay close attention to the tiny voice in the back of your mind... the one that your rational and logical brain tries to force you to ignore.

Edited by Snufkin
  • Like 1