Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online. Become a Patron!

Guest Cara Kinnear

So, I'm dead excited about my first full moon ritual, I've looked at some stuff online, but still feel I'm lacking in knowledge...

Has anyone got any hints, tips, or information they'd like to share? Maybe about their first full moon ritual?

x

Please consider supporting us to help keep our Website and Facebook groups online.

Hun, the phases of the moon aren't part of everyone's paganism. :) (Just sayin' in case you don't get many responses!) I think it derives from Wicca, where many lineaged covens observe full moon rituals - though not all do, because not all covens are local. Most non-Wiccan pagans I know that observe the Wiccan sabbats will take rituals found on the internet, or create their own, to give the rite meaning for them. I really suggest you do this, as it creates something special for you. Perhaps use smell and sound and assign a theme to the full moon at this time of the year.

It isn't a part of Heathenry, but I like to study the moon so I know (roughly) which Anglo Saxon month we're in. This will be "Holy month", though no one knows quite why it's called that. :)

I understand it won't be part of everyone's pathways, but I was just interested in what other people thought towards this, etc I've always been drawn to the moon myself so, I guess it'd make sense for me to, in a way, check it out! haha

Anglo-Saxton months sounds interesting! And if I'm honest, i've never heard of 'Heathenry', I understand it's probably a pathway? I'll have to look it up! haha

thanks for your reply though! x

A book called "Pagan Paths" by Pete Jennings, may be of interest to you Cara and help you to discover something about some of the pagan paths on here. As an initiated Wiccan in a Gardnerian line, we observe the full moon (usually but not necessarily on every occasion, except when training new initiates), with a ritual - known as an Esbat - but really only if we have a purpose for that circle - to do some magical work, share some training and so on - not just because it is a full moon. In fact, some magical work requires that it be done at other phases of the moon!

It might help you to formulate some idea of why you want to observe the full moon with a ritual - are you seeking to make contact with the goddess Luna? Or is it just because the full moon is beautiful and you want to watch it through the night sky? If the latter, then perhaps just do that, and meditate whilst you are doing it, wherever that may be, indoors or out .............. there are many possibilities but no certainties or anything that anyone must do ..............

Edited by Naomi
  • Like 1

thank you! I find that very helpful, I'm unsure on why I've always loved the moon, or had a connection towards it... But I'll definitely have a look at that book you recommended!

And I don't mean to be rude or insulting, but isn't the Gardnerian path oathbound? I thought I read somewhere it was? I'm probably completely mistaken! haha x

• Like 1

I understand it won't be part of everyone's pathways, but I was just interested in what other people thought towards this, etc I've always been drawn to the moon myself so, I guess it'd make sense for me to, in a way, check it out! haha

Anglo-Saxton months sounds interesting! And if I'm honest, i've never heard of 'Heathenry', I understand it's probably a pathway? I'll have to look it up! haha

thanks for your reply though! x

Heathenry is Norse-Germanic paganism. ;)

I echo Naomi re the book 'Pagan Paths' :)

I'll share some stuff. Not sure it'll be helpful but hey ho.

I was always drawn to the moon growing up and it's one of the things that led me to paganism. [imagine I inserted a moon emoji here.] I started doing full moon rituals when I was exploring Wicca about ten years ago and although I'm not (and never was) Wiccan I've kept the habit for certain moons, for example the full moons closest to my birthday and to Calan Gaeaf/Samhain (which are nicely at opposite ends of the year). My rituals then were very elaborate but didn't feel personal to me. Now the opposite is true and I'll tend to do what feels right to me on each occasion.

For example, I seem to remember last year's Calan Gaeaf was about two weeks after the full moon and for Calan Gaeaf itself I was taking part in a local lantern parade and festival, so I started the prep for the festival - things I needed to make etc. - on the night of the full moon. I went out gathering some twigs, leaves, feathers and other natural bits and bobs, and while I was out had a sit down (in the mud) in sight of the moon and did some personal ritual behaviours of mine. (Sorry if that sounds a bit mysterious, they're just personal to me so I tend to keep them private.) Then I went home with my gatherings and did some mindful baking. (Parkin. Don't ask me how I waited 'til the 31st to eat it! Prob only because I wanted to share it at the festival!)

As a rule for any ritualistic stuff, I don't have any specific words and far more often than not I don't say anything at all. One habit that stayed with me from Wicca was the idea of casting a circle (not exclusively Wiccan, of course) and now I prepare the space I'm going to spend time in by mindfully clearing it so I can sit or stand and put my things down... or mindfully *not* clearing it if there's something growing there or I don't want to disturb something. I don't always care which direction I face. If the moon or sun is out, I'll face them. (Exceptions have been at stone circles or outdoor temple-type places where there is sometimes a historical focal point.) I take stones from places that have touched me in some way and I might take a stone or something with me to leave at a place after a ritual. (Eg. I took a tiny bit of chalk from around the barrows near Stonehenge last year and will return it whenever I return.) Items I use at rituals tend to be all natural, plus the occasional candle, and I use water a lot in a couple of specific ways.

Hmm, this is turning into a massive reply, sorry, I might have to cross-post this to my blog! Just interesting for me to think about it because I've changed quite a lot over the years :)

Anyway, hope it was sort of interesting to people other than myself!

Edited by Aranya
  • Like 1

but isn't the Gardnerian path oathbound? I thought I read somewhere it was? I'm probably completely mistaken! haha x

The Gardnerian path is oathbound but nothing I have ever said or written on a forum has been oath-bound material :) Much has been written about Gardnerian and Alexandrian paths but the essential thing to know is that both are mystery traditions and to know the mysteries, you have to experience them - those experiences of initiated individuals are absolutely oath-bound!

• Like 1

Ooooh oaths and secret ceremonies....rolls up right trouser leg, grabs kitchen apron, hand on heart, stands on one leg and intones.... "I solemly Swear I am up to no good".....

ooops...shouldn't joke...some bastard will curse me again and I'll break something else

cara i do think it has to do with everyones personal preferences, i started off following the wiccan path but can honestly say i havent done a full moon ritual in a long time sorry, but if i remember correctly full moon rituals are supposed to be about achieving desires and dreams, and good for doing protection spells? may not be accurate anymore but trying to help :o_wink:

and chris, just hope that the people reading this are either harry potter fans or follow the wiccan rede lol

and maybe be careful over the next few days just in case :o_razz:

• 4 weeks later...

i understand that feeling of being drawn to the moon, it happens to me too, theres just something about it

im not sure what path im on as such all i know is that i feel i am a mixture of pagan/witch/wicca, hope that makes sense but it just the way i am i suppose

Cara i tend to look up on the internet to find out what phase of the moon to do rituals/spells with & what i have read is one does protection spells & spells to draw positivity into ones life, i use candles & oils too

so i also look up which colour candle for which spell, which oil, etc

when its past the fall moon, thats when its best to banish anything negative in your life

how you go about the ritual/spell is up to you, its just timing it right & focus, envision what you want the outcome to be, but remember it harm none

good luck xx

Cara sorry i meant to say that the protection & positive spells will work much better as the full moon is approaching x

Edited by charlottemoon

• 2 weeks later...

Ooooh oaths and secret ceremonies....rolls up right trouser leg, grabs kitchen apron, hand on heart, stands on one leg and intones.... "I solemly Swear I am up to no good".....

ooops...shouldn't joke...some bastard will curse me again and I'll break something else

Can you stand on one leg? :o_razz:

Can you stand on one leg? :o_razz:

Wodeborn can't stand on one leg - he's broken it :)