Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

The Magick Shop
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: The Magick Shop
Sign in to follow this  
Wynnfrith

Spending Time With Trees (Tree Spirits)

Wynnfrith

While going for my walk and natter with the trees in the park today, I began to notice the different characteristics of different trees and even those that was more masculine or feminine and even if the wanted my attention or not. It never really occurred to me before to ask the tree if it wanted my hug or me speaking with it.

I feel a little guilty now that I may of imposed myself on some poor tree and caused it distress.

What are other peoples experiences with this? (It okay to say no Helen you are just being loopy)

Ad from Google

Earthdragon

Hi Helen

I ask permission from a tree before journeying, communing or meditating with it.

Otherwise when sensing them or mimicking their energy then no I don't ask permission...

ED

• Like 1

Moonhunter

I'll approach a tree and open myself and wait. Tolkien had it right that trees (and rocks and lots of other things) take time. If the tree wants to bespeak with me, that's fine... something will come through. IME, the ones most exposed to humans are the wariest ones. Though, having said that, one of the most famous trees in England is near me, and I found him/her warm and welcoming... a sort of ma/paternal impression.

• Like 1

Wynnfrith

I guess it was just my Pantheist side coming through, I've asked when I have taken but assumed an interconnectedness and oneness with everything so assumed it was mutually beneficial. I guess they just admonished me an put me back in my rightful place... At least they liked me enough not to warrant a branch dropping on my head!

• Like 2

Maeve

For me - respect in all things! Some trees (young in spirit?) don't seem to care much but others are touchy and require more respect in any approach. It is simply something that I sense and (touch wood :) ) have not yet had a branch drop on my head!

• Like 2

Guest pang
I guess it was just my Pantheist side coming through, I've asked when I have taken but assumed an interconnectedness and oneness with everything so assumed it was mutually beneficial. I guess they just admonished me an put me back in my rightful place... At least they liked me enough not to warrant a branch dropping on my head!

That awareness of the tree as a being still allows for the perspective that all is one. Asking the tree is asking self whether it is ready to release some of the reasoning and logic that it holds over you. You are projecting self and listening to what you are answering. A yes sign, or a 'knowing' that the tree is happy means that the reasoning and logical side of yourself is ready, or agreeable to let go; enough so that the inner you can come forth and do work. In my experience it is better to have some work ready to do, otherwise going from tree to tree to ask is a bit like flicking a light switch on and off - eventually it wears thin or ceases to work at which point you need to develop a new way of parking up your 'reasoning' self, to let the nagual come forth. For me and i can only write from my awareness and the perspectives that it gives me is that dried hawthorn flowers make a great tea, and to sit under a tree that you 'asked tree/self permission from' to pick its flowers, sipping tea at dusk or dawn my 'reasoning' side thows its hands up and is almost eager that i go to Work. There are exceptions (for me) one is if i am doing healing work and have absorbed the illness, then as part of the end of the ritual i find the tree that i have used before and empty it from my self into the tree 'put it into the ground' as fast as possible. It was told to me that trees are happy with this, that they can break it down and use it, in much the same way that they can use the negative energies that we emit; carbon dioxide being one. I found that one out after doing healing work and ending up with the illness of the person i was healing (pneumonia), i got sicker at an equal rate to them getting better. Luckily the NHS saved me, but was enough to put me off healing work for some time. A friend later told me about using trees, he learnt it from the Hopi tribe he used to lve with - figured that as it could only be used for healing he was happy to pass it on. So likewise am i.

• Like 2

Isrith

A friend later told me about using trees, he learnt it from the Hopi tribe he used to lve with - figured that as it could only be used for healing he was happy to pass it on. So likewise am i.

Interesting! Would that be a particular kind of tree; or would any old tree do the trick?

Guest pang

Just depends on whether you 'connect' with the tree/self. But, if you need more reason to connect with a particular place and tree and sometimes it just feels like a bit more is needed to feel relaxed and feel 'right' - then that Hopi selects out the ones he believes to be located on, or near to vortexes; he looks for trees that have a 'twist' spiral. I was told that they use the left handed spiral for dumping negativity or 'dark' work and right handed spiral for higher work. I've seen Elder showing this quite strongly on the chalk downs and also beech trees, but you have to wait for the right sort of light to see whether the grain twists in a spiral through the grey bark on a beech tree. It takes a while to spot them, but after a while you'll notice woods, and groves where the trees do 'spiral' more. If that all matches with other signs and confirmations then...'experiment and know'.

This topic has motivated me to go out today and plant some trees!

• Like 3

Isrith
- then that Hopi selects out the ones he believes to be located on, or near to vortexes; he looks for trees that have a 'twist' spiral. I was told that they use the left handed spiral for dumping negativity or 'dark' work and right handed spiral for higher work.

Actually I was wondering it the tree the Hopis went to - for recycling that negative energy - might in fact be a Cedar, since it's utilized so much by them during healing rituals.

I'm liking the theory about spirals in tree bark. I too will be on the lookout now ;)

Edited by Isrith

Veggie dancer

that Hopi selects out the ones he believes to be located on, or near to vortexes; he looks for trees that have a 'twist' spiral. I was told that they use the left handed spiral for dumping negativity or 'dark' work and right handed spiral for higher work.

That's interesting about the spiral and direction! There is a really unusual beautiful horse chestnut tree in a garden I walk past nearly every day that I love. It splits quite low down (about head height I think) into 2 definite arms and spirals very clearly from the roots up anti clockwise (if you imagine looking down on it from above) is that a right hand or left hand spiral? I can't quite work out which is which ;).

I so wish that tree was in my garden :)

• Like 1

Guest Tad

Maybe it's because I spend so much time in the woods, maybe it's because I have lived in the woods while homeless, but whatever the reason I personally only ask/thank trees when they provide me with something. The rest of the time I treat them more like my peers or family (depending on tree/wood). Then again I do feel very strongly towards them, more so than most people and perhaps they respond to that? I can remember one time when out with friends and as part of the wood gathering for the fire one of them came back with a green branch still with leaves on it. That person and I no longer talk as I had to be restrained from taking my axe to them at the time...

For me personally it's more about them being part of the physical manifestation of Mother (I can explain my pantheon later but I expect you all have an idea who I mean), and without blowing my own trumpet I genuinely belive that she loves me and knows me, and as such I seem to get special privileges when out and about, the trees being but one of them.

• Like 2

Guest Tad

Oh, and personally I would suggest that most trees don't see us as an imposition upon them unless we harm them. Ancient trees can be a bit aloof sometimes but they move so slowly that we really are just little blips to them, like the tiny specks you see in your eye sometimes. I've never encountered a hostile tree, finding most to be quite patient and understanding, but I do always find birches to be rather more exuberant in feeling. Maybe it's because they live relatively short lives (maybe 60-70 years) but I always find a real permeation of vitality in the air of a birch wood. They always seem excited to see people and listening to their whispering in springtime as their fresh new leaves make pools of dappled shade on the mossy carpet beneath them in the bright sunshine... well, find yoir local birch wood and try it! You'll see that if you go in friendly they will love you for it!

• Like 1

Earthdragon

Tad I really enjoyed reading about your experience and thoughts on the trees and the woods. I too have a special feeling for the birches.

As regards the trees being like friends or family- that is how I feel about them. Some have called to me in some way to go see them and when getting there I found on several occasions people in the vicinity whose behaviour may shall we say have been uncontained should someone else not have been present...

As regards permissions I get your explanation of not needing to ask and suggest that that is a feature of a mature respectful dynamic. Its a bit like preferring to attune to right action and and being connected rather than simply taking and being thankful. These are aspects that I try to work towards... I'd like to add though that when doing energy work I would never work directly with a friend, family or grove member ( I am an ovate) etc without talking about it with them first and asking whether they were OK with it. So it is with trees...

About the episode with the axe - would you have attacked him/her if not restrained to you think? I can understand the reasoning but wonder how you feel about the level of your reaction...

Best ED

Edited by Earthdragon
  • Like 1

Guest Tad

Earthdragon- Ah, now I understand your reason for asking permission from the trees a bit more clearly and I say fair enough! While I never feel the need to ask, in the sense you mention of not working with family/friends without their knowledge or permission I can see why you would want to ok it with the trees first and I think they would possibly appreciate that gesture. I'm not sure how necessary it is but it can never hurt to be polite can it?

As for the axe incident... yes, I probably would have. While not something I am overly proud of, I have come to accept that there is a significant part of me that consists of nothing but rage, anger and hatred. Possibly the mental health issues, possibly a result of life experiences (won't bore you with sob stories as the past is past for a reason), and equally probably a curse/blessing from the gods. I suspect handed to me from Chaos through one of the lessers... I am aware that this would be seen as too far by many and I have been trying my whole life to reach a calmer and happier place. But sadly it isn't always possible. As to how I feel about my reaction... absolutely fine. It's simply one of those things which happens when people I know fail to take my warnings about my behaviour seriously. All my friends know I have virtually no respect for humanity and openly refute human rights, but sometimes they forget that I see them not so much as individuals but as part of the problem... it gets a bit complicated but essentially I am uses to my own weirdness by now. If that didn't answer your question well enough I can try again later...

harvest moon

Hi,

For me I try to show respect to trees and plants at all times, Some time asking permission, it depends on the vibe I get at the time

• Like 2

Wynnfrith

Thanks for the interesting replies, sorry I did not respond my laptop broke and I've not been able to access the site for awhile.

Wynnfrith x

Edited by Wynnfrith
  • Like 2

Guest Hamadryad

I think all pagans should show this sort of sensitivity to trees and to the living world around us rather than just making things the objects of our notions about them. If it's not about relationship then it's just humans being self-indulgent.

• Like 1

Fortuna

I don't think a tree gives a damn if you hug it or not..... it's a tree. Any consciousness it has will be treeish and not humanish. I have no idea what a tree thinks of me, nor do I care because although we are part of the same web of life on this Earth, we are not the same and I'm not sure exactly how respectful it really is to a tree to ascribe human characteristics to it. It is almost as if we find it hard to respect something living without humanising it in some way.

I love trees, and respect their strength and beauty and the role they play in sustaining life of Earth. I eat some of their produce, and lie down in their shade and hug them (if alone) and in return I don't chop them down.

Veggie Dancer, I know you're based in Greater London & Kent. You're not near the village of Sundridge (between Westerham and Sevenoaks) are you. If you are there is a tree there I guarantee will be worth you visiting if you happen to be passing and have a spare half hour. Let me know if you are.

Mike

• Like 4

Veggie dancer

Veggie Dancer, I know you're based in Greater London & Kent. You're not near the village of Sundridge (between Westerham and Sevenoaks) are you. If you are there is a tree there I guarantee will be worth you visiting if you happen to be passing and have a spare half hour. Let me know if you are.

Mike

Hey mike, not massively near. Will be at our actual house from tomorrow! Yay! :) (Over in Deal)

but I just looked it up on the map and it's not a million miles away to get to actually from the boarding school I live at in term time with my OH who works there. :-) so maybe some time next term or something. Although every free day we tend to want to escape to our house.

Thanks though, I will definitely bear it in mind for a day out :)

Wynnfrith

I think star dust recognises itself in all its different forms and states of being... Kind of a collective memory when we was all one thread.

Earthdragon

Hi Wynnfryth,

Spent time with any trees recently? :)

You mentioned nattering with them. Have you ever received any replies in the broadest sense . Anything arise for you amidst you communications with them.

Some of my most pertinent lessons have come to me when communing with trees.

Best

Ed

Edited by Earthdragon
  • Like 1

Wynnfrith

Hi Earthdragon,Yes spent some time with my favourite tree at the full moon as I always do. Got quite angry the other week when Campbell park in Milton Keynes had a despicable act of human vandalism done to it in the name of sport (see pic). Really felt for my trees I spend time with and have given me so much energy that keeps me emotionally balanced. I need to go back with some grass seed and give them something back.

I feel trees and can read them but not sure if I hear them yet.

Wynnfrith x

1479176_10153505720855562_768458197_n.jpg

Edited by Wynnfrith
  • Like 1

Freydis

Were trees felled for the event? Other than that I fail to see how this is "a despicable act of human vandalism". Grass grows back and I don't suppose that they're riding cyclo cross across the park every weekend.

Guest welkyn

I heartily agree with a lot of what's been said here. There's a general air of respect and admiration directed towards our taller cousins, which is something the world really needs right now. It only seems difficult, sometimes, to communicate with non-humans because so many believe so strongly that only humans are capable of communication - yet look how readily children will communicate with animals, animals with insects, insects with plants, plants with stones, and, if we had the ears to hear, stones with humans! The whole world is communication; the whole world is emotion and understanding. It is only the human world that seems to create "lack of comprehension".

The more we journey into the inner worlds whence this outer world originates, the more clearly it is seen that all worlds are essentially "human" in nature - that is, what we call "human intelligence" suffuses the place from which these world arise, and even what might be called "post-human intelligence", given some of the baleful examples of "human intelligence" exhibited by humans! The realm of the Gods is perhaps difficult for time-bound minds to comprehend, though the human heart - as any heart - finds nothing non-sensical or unintelligible there.

Trees, it would seem to me, are, as all beings on this world, individuals; at the same time, each group of a species in any one place typically seems governed by a "King" or "Queen" figure, usually the oldest and largest specimen; similarly, the species as a whole would appear to be governed by a Spirit common to that species, the archetype whence each individual is derived. In the inner worlds, these are the characters we meet. At that greater level, they definitely have what might be called "human" or "human-like" understanding, emotions, and intentions, thus I feel it is right that we treat trees - and, indeed, all of our brothers and sisters here on Earth - as we would treat humans. For any who recognise continuity in reincarnation (that is, "transmigration of the soul"), it is perfectly clear that every human alive today has been a tree, a dog, a fly, a wind, a stone, a star, etc. From this, it is easy to see that every tree, dog, fly, wind, stone, and star will, one day, be a human (and most likely already has been a human).

Treat all equally: with respect, kindness, and great care. You never know how you might be related to anything, and, ultimately, there is nothing that is not your own self.

• Like 1

Freydis
There's a general air of respect and admiration directed towards our taller cousins, which is something the world really needs right now.

This, I can agree with.

The more we journey into the inner worlds whence this outer world originates, the more clearly it is seen that all worlds are essentially "human" in nature - that is, what we call "human intelligence" suffuses the place from which these world arise, and even what might be called "post-human intelligence", given some of the baleful examples of "human intelligence" exhibited by humans! The realm of the Gods is perhaps difficult for time-bound minds to comprehend, though the human heart - as any heart - finds nothing non-sensical or unintelligible there.

This doesn't reflect my experience, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "inner worlds" here. In my experience all "worlds" (for want of a better phrase) are not essentially human in nature, and the gods are well, different.

that greater level, they definitely have what might be called "human" or "human-like" understanding, emotions, and intentions, thus I feel it is right that we treat trees - and, indeed, all of our brothers and sisters here on Earth - as we would treat humans.

Although I'd agree that it's possible to communicate with trees (or what I'd describe as the tree wights) I've never picked up anything I could describe as human understanding emotions and intentions from them. Any communication is much more fundamental and basic ime.

any who recognise continuity in reincarnation (that is, "transmigration of the soul"), it is perfectly clear that every human alive today has been a tree, a dog, a fly, a wind, a stone, a star, etc. From this, it is easy to see that every tree, dog, fly, wind, stone, and star will, one day, be a human (and most likely already has been a human).

I'm afraid that it's not perfectly clear to me and here you lose me. But I don't believe in reincarnation so that concept of "self" has little meaning for me.

• Like 1

Earthdragon

Hi Mike, just been reviewing the odd thread from last year. Oh my godness that sounds odd lol

I'm not just picking out something to disagree with here but I found it interesting that you focussed on the ascribing of human qualities to trees and how that might be desrespectful. Well, what about turning it around?

You said here "Any consciousness it has will be treeish and not humanish. I have no idea what a tree thinks of me, nor do I care because although we are part of the same web of life on this Earth, we are not the same and I'm not sure exactly how respectful it really is to a tree to ascribe human characteristics to it. It is almost as if we find it hard to respect something living without humanising it in some way."

I think there are many ways that we humans are like a tree...apart from sharing loads of the same DNA, beimg carbon and water based, being the same way up :) and being able to visualise ones structure as being tree like ( which has an interesting effect on the emotions and grounding one may feel) .

We and they breath and process sunlight etc..we can try to be grounded and strong in our core ( emotionally, physically, energetically), our efforts to live life can be spread out more equally in a tree like fashion, than it perhaps is and not bent or focussed just one way - this has an effect on balance in our lives...

Are we the same as them? No.

Are they inoffensive yes, do they change the atmosphere or energy of a place usually for the better? Most definitely.

So yes we have a lot in common with our friends of the hedge and forest and green.

And some of that definitely worth cultivating.

What do you think to this view?

Best

Earthdragon

Edited by Earthdragon
  • Like 3

Fortuna

Hmmm. I think you're right looking back over what you have written. We have many things in common with trees and we both form part of the same web of life. I think a better way to express what I meant would have been to focus on the difference in consciousness, because, as you point out, there are many things we do have physically in common.

As a species we often struggle to understand other people..... let alone other species. Generally the more different a person's culture the harder it is to get inside their head. We can have a sort of shared understanding with some creatures... dogs, primates etc, but reptiles, fish....... insects? I think when we are as distant on the web of life as trees then we really cannot share a consciousness.

You've made me reconsider one thing though. I initially thought it disrespectful to ascribe human characteristics to a tree, but I think that what people are trying to do is make a connection. I'm still not sure how "right" it is, but I no longer think it is simple disrespect because people doing it tend to do so in an attempt to understand and honour the tree.... how disrespectful is that really? I suspect a lot less than I originally thought. :)

Mike

• Like 2

Wynnfrith

So sad people feel the need to belittle how another relates to nature... Bye.

Veggie dancer

As a species we often struggle to understand other people..... let alone other species. Generally the more different a person's culture the harder it is to get inside their head. We can have a sort of shared understanding with some creatures... dogs, primates etc, but reptiles, fish....... insects? I think when we are as distant on the web of life as trees then we really cannot share a consciousness.

You've made me reconsider one thing though. I initially thought it disrespectful to ascribe human characteristics to a tree, but I think that what people are trying to do is make a connection. I'm still not sure how "right" it is, but I no longer think it is simple disrespect because people doing it tend to do so in an attempt to understand and honour the tree.... how disrespectful is that really? I suspect a lot less than I originally thought. :)

Mike

Absolutely mike,

I think we are closer to making a real connection to a tree or other species or other person when we attempt to make these connections than we would be if we didn't try at all.. Trying to broaden our perceptions by trying to see the world through another's eyes (or leaves maybe ;) ) can only be a good thing and broaden our perceptions. But at the same time respecting and understanding that there is much that is unknowable for us.

Fortuna

So sad people feel the need to belittle how another relates to nature... Bye.

Are you talking about me? That wasn't my intention at all. Why do you think I was doing that?