Caroline Voclain

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

SpellBase
Please consider visiting our kind sponsor: SpellBase
Sign in to follow this  
Wynnfrith

Spending Time With Trees (Tree Spirits)

Earthdragon

Hi Mike

Thanks for that. I agree that people's intention matters enormously which isn't to say that the ends justify the means!

I think that what I have found is that I have and can learn from my relationship from living things such as trees. To what extent that involves sharing a consiousness is another matter...

Best

ED

Ad from Google

Guest Treehugger

OK you can probably tell from my chosen Monicker that I do love trees! Advance apologies for long rambling paragraph but I haven't figured out how to move to a new line yet, so bare with me. I feel energy from the trees though don't hear voices. I mediate with trees or woodland spirits and the experience is different with both. I always ask and then thank the trees or spirits for whatever is bestowed, as I feel respect should be shown. I do feel a difference in the energy from young trees to old. Recently, an extremely old tree was severely damaged in a storm and the Council decided to cut it down and then into pieces. I was soooo sad and felt well, sadness in the air around. I managed to take a piece and had a ritual fire that night as a way of saying goodbye. Personally, I believe I am still learning about the true nature of trees and agree with the idea of time being completely different for them.

• Like 3

Veggie dancer

I spent a lovely day on Sunday in my garden with the trees, we have a new apple tree planted in the summer and it had a lot of black fly eggs on so I spent a few hours washing them off, it may seem slightly OCD but I even got out the ones from behind the buds with a pin! I didn't want to use poison but I'm confident I removed ( if not every single one, though I did my best to!) at least as many as a chemical would have got.. But anyway I was enjoying myself taking care of the little tree and spending time with it and the other trees and getting to know them. There was even a big bumble bee buzzing around the yellow flowers on a beautiful tree I haven't yet identified. :) I'm looking forward to spending more time with the trees in my garden. It really was so peaceful and comforting and satisfying.

• Like 1

Guest Treehugger

I spent a lovely day on Sunday in my garden with the trees, we have a new apple tree planted in the summer and it had a lot of black fly eggs on so I spent a few hours washing them off, it may seem slightly OCD but I even got out the ones from behind the buds with a pin! I didn't want to use poison but I'm confident I removed ( if not every single one, though I did my best to!) at least as many as a chemical would have got.. But anyway I was enjoying myself taking care of the little tree and spending time with it and the other trees and getting to know them. There was even a big bumble bee buzzing around the yellow flowers on a beautiful tree I haven't yet identified. :) I'm looking forward to spending more time with the trees in my garden. It really was so peaceful and comforting and satisfying.

Id' suggest to make life easier for yourself, that you encourage black fly eating bugs to your garden :)

Veggie dancer

Id' suggest to make life easier for yourself, that you encourage black fly eating bugs to your garden :)

I'm working on that tree hugger :) made a bug box for hibernating bees and insects (although one part if it was completely pecked out so think it ended up being more of a bird lunch box. Have also got a pile of wood and sticks we left for hibernating things. Also just avoiding pesticides so that we don't kill off everything including the helpful bugs. I've got a packet of wildflower seeds to help attract things too.

Do you have any other suggestions as to attracting nice bugs?

There does seem to be a distinct lack of ladybirds and lacewings at the moment.. I don't know if the previous owners used pesticides that effected the population. There is also fields of barley and wheat nearby that back onto next doors garden if pesticides are used on there might that effect them?

We moved onto our house last May.. It's the first time we have had a garden of our own so are very excited about gardening but are very much novices! I've been reading quite a bit but quite a lot goes over my head because I don't really know what it's talking about half the time. I used to garden a bit with my parents as a kid too but it's mostly trial and error at the mo.

Guest Ladybird2015

An easy way to encourage bugs in to the garden is to plant friendly species of plants, (Butterfly bush, Hebe, rosemary,lavenders,etc.) Ladybirds love aphids and greenfly, so roses are a good bet.Marigolds planted with the roses will discourage earwigs that eat the flowers. There are loads of books about on this type of planting (Co-operative/beneficial or something)

• Like 1

Isrith

We moved onto our house last May.. It's the first time we have had a garden of our own so are very excited about gardening but are very much novices! I've been reading quite a bit but quite a lot goes over my head because I don't really know what it's talking about half the time. I used to garden a bit with my parents as a kid too but it's mostly trial and error at the mo.

If you can still get it, this a a good book for beginner gardeners. Well set out, interesting and easy to read. Lots of info on pest and disease control, and plants are listed to show beneficial companion plants as well as companion roles with insects, etc.

f46a6d6311bcea5e1d0fc1dffb67bbd1.jpg

• Like 1

Veggie dancer

Thanks Isrith! I shall certainly look for that book :)

• Like 1

Roots

Just been reading through this thread from awhile back with interest.

I feel most at ease and "at home" when in the company of trees - particularly when they are old. Has anyone spent a night in the woods by themselves?

It's something that I have wanted to do for many years but not got around to it or been able to explain the desire well enough to those around me so that they would understand............

This leads to much guilt every time I place a log in the stove - I give thanks in my thoughts each time I do! At least my supply comes from a managed resource which is something I suppose - morally I have convinced myself it is better for the planet than continuing to burn lots of gas on the central heating.

• Like 1

Ellinas

I wouldn't worry too much about burning a log. How is it more reprehensible than eating a stick of broccoli?

Never fancied a night in a forest either. My bed is far more comfortable.

But I do like trees. Just as well - my garden is rather well stocked with them.

• Like 1

Earthdragon

Hi Roots

There is a Druidic training method we have whereby one spends a night awake and alone in a wood. Another person is one hand for safety but the idea is to individually commune with the wood and learn what is coming from the wood and what is coming from one's own mind and to distinguish between these.

I haven't done it (yet) but yes camping in woods is great. Sometimes the noises are amazing on a still night!

Best

ED

• Like 3

OfTheEarth

I feel swaying in a hammock on a (moderately) windy night would heighten the connection.

Isrith

The sound of hooves running about on the edge of a dark, mist-filled copse of trees is an experience I'll never forget. Talk about the imagination going wild! Lol

• Like 1

Roots

Hi Roots

There is a Druidic training method we have whereby one spends a night awake and alone in a wood. Another person is one hand for safety but the idea is to individually commune with the wood and learn what is coming from the wood and what is coming from one's own mind and to distinguish between these.

I haven't done it (yet) but yes camping in woods is great. Sometimes the noises are amazing on a still night!

Best

ED

Yes, it would make perfect sense for the Druidic training to incorporate such an experience and test.

When you finally get around to it, it would great to hear about how you get on.

A night spent alone in a British forest is a recurring dream of mine................

In terms of the noises of the forest, I will always remember one particular night spent trekking and camping with a local guide and two random students from Sheffield Uni in the Malaysian rain forest many years ago now. The deafening noise, the day-glo insects, the naughty porcupines scrabbling at the tent, the trap-jaw ants :angry: the tiger tracks in the mud :o .........I think I recorded a negative amount of sleep that night!

I feel swaying in a hammock on a (moderately) windy night would heighten the connection.

If it got too windy, it would more than likely have the opposite effect!!

The sound of hooves running about on the edge of a dark, mist-filled copse of trees is an experience I'll never forget. Talk about the imagination going wild! Lol

Oooooh yeah now we are talking! :)

• Like 1