Doretta Lowe

Welcome Guest!

Welcome to UK Pagan; The Valley

Like most online communities we require you to register for an account before we give you access to read and post.

Only a small number of our forum areas can be read without registering for an account.

Help to keep this website running - Become a Patron.

Help to keep UK Pagan online...
Become a Patron!
Sign in to follow this  
UK Pagan

[Wiccan Web] Building a Better Heathenry

UK Pagan

By Galina Krasskova

When I first became Heathen, it was all but taboo to discuss or give any personal credence to what was (then as now) termed "UPG" (unverified personal gnosis). In good Protestant fashion, anything remotely smacking of mysticism, experience, or messy, messy emotional engagement was frowned upon, strongly. As a religious studies . . . → Read More: Building a Better Heathenry

View the full article

Ad from Google

Moonhunter

I'm no fan of Krasskova - even to the point of shying away from much of what she writes. But this speaks strongly to me.

In the UK, there are less of the Loremasters and re-enactment element that she speaks of, but it can still be found. On the whole, though, Heathenry in the UK has, certainly in the last decande or two, had leaders who are clearly focussed on their relationship with the gods. And polytheists tend IME to identify primarily as polytheists and then as whatever religion, much in the way Krasskova describes. Whereas the Loremasters tend to be fixated on the religion and culture. I recall once have a conversation with one who tried to join a polytheist group I ran. He didn't last long. he was bewildered by the talk of gods - something that could not be substantiated in texts. :D

• Like 2

Freydis

Wow. Now that I didn't expect. An article by Galina Krasskova where I agree with much of what she says!

Yes, I'm familiar with the Loremaster bit. I went through a Loremastery phase myself (many years ago) although even then, for me my relationship with the gods came first. If pushed I would describe myself as a polytheist who is a heathen because they're the gods who came calling first. For me, one of the strengths of UK Heathenry is that it manages to encompass both strands without the problems and sniping between the two that seems to go on in the States (although my experience of the States is very limited). Generally speaking the relationship between the two views seems to be much more tolerant and less polarised than in the USA.

• Like 2

Moonhunter

If pushed I would describe myself as a polytheist who is a heathen because they're the gods who came calling first.

Yes. This. :)

• Like 1

Guest Fiona Dowson

I'd describe myself as heathen but find it sad that it seems to be mainly the druids who lay claim to the bard tradition, forgetting that heathens had skalds and scops too

waes hael

Fiona

I'm running this year's Suffolk Skald comp

Maeve

I'd describe myself as heathen but find it sad that it seems to be mainly the druids who lay claim to the bard tradition, forgetting that heathens had skalds and scops too

waes hael

Fiona

I'm running this year's Suffolk Skald comp

Drink hael !